Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Thought the rear felt a bit off...

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Servicing' started by modcon86, Jun 20, 2015.

1. ...riding home in the fog last night. Turns out its my first puncture. Haven't even had time to upload pics of the bike. Long nail on the right side if the rear tyre. Seriously who leaves nails on the road? I was just looking at puncture kits yesterday as I picked up some lube having read through the threads on cleaning and lubing the chain. Will get one today.

Pulled it out and it slowly leaked out air. Lame. Excuse the mud on the tyre there is a dirt driveway.
  2. A pity it's on the side: if it was toward the middle of the tread you could get it plugged.
    With 400,000 tradies out there dropping stuff off their uncovered Hi-Luxs nails are no surprise...
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. What do you reckon - pluggable? Hoping so... 20150620_122636_HDR.
  4. I reckon it is.
    • Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 2
  5. I'll give in a try once I pick up a kit and see how we go...
  6. Yeah, l'd plug it. Being slightly of the centre line, l'd say it will last for the full life of the tyre, no problem!
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. I'd get a professional to fix it if I was you...
  8. Yup...

Being an anal retentive sort I'd plug it only for the recovery ride....but that's just me.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. #9 uncle greg, Jun 20, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2015
  10. We should have taken photos of you plugging that Ducati's tyre today, a bit of the old in-out followed by a filling sensation for that tyre.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. lucky you didn't quote before the edit
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Personally I'd just plug it ride on it.
  13. That hole is repairable as long as no steel wires have been compromised. The right, safe way to do it is to dismount the tyre and use a plug-patch from the inside. If you don't want to do that, plug it from the outside and take your chances like any man or bird or fish.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Is plug that all day long and ride on it until the tyre is worn to its end.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. The tire pictured looks to be in good condition, I would plug it to get through to a convenient time then dismount the tire and use an internal plug patch.

Plug's are great to get you out of trouble but sometimes they can start leaking later, an internal plug patch is a bit of dicking around but worth it with a tire in good condition.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. I would plug it it - then make a decision on the further life of the tyre - the Stop and Go Kit is fabulous - have even used it on my car tyre - still going strong after 5 months - I also have a mini air compressor thingy - haven't needed to use it on the bike yet
  17. Thanks for the advice guys. I figure its barely worn in and could do well with a plug. Then I'll monitor and go from there...
  18. You jinxed yourself by looking at repair kits but not buying one . .
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. That's why I always carry mine. Never had to use it (yet) except on the old farm ute.