Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Those "good for something" Harley riders!

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by tirian, Oct 27, 2009.

1. While riding along the Monash fwy on my GS500, sounding as mean and loud as my wifes sewing machine when it's not plugged in, I am grateful for my fellow commuters on Harley's! Seems like the best place to be is following one - the traffic seems to open up for a mile whenever they blip their throttle!

I'm trying to weight up whether I should spend $3-700?? on a Staintune pipe, or bite the bullet and upgrade to GSX1400 - hmmmmn......

Well, in the meantime, thank goodness for Harley riders!

Matt

2. Unless you're making a Harley that's overly noisy, doing that on a sports/naked/standard will only get you in trouble with the police/EPA. The rozzers don't touch the Harley's for excessive noise. I'll leave you to speculate as to why that is, and it has nothing at all to do with any difference in laws for different bikes, they're the same. If you're on a sports/naked bike though, you're just a free lunch on wheels waiting to be nabbed.

3. you were following a harley?? You need to learn how to ride...

Edit: ;)

4. Stock GSX1400 will sound the same as your GS500.

I've had an unbaffled staintune out the side of my 1400 since I got it, yet to get a second glance from any cops.

5. Nothing wrong with a nice f**k off pipe - it might alert other drivers to your presence!
    I have a staintune pipe and to date, the police have never pulled me over for it.

6. He's right, dammit. Nothing comes close to the intimidation factor of a Harley.
    Next best might be an RSV Mille with Megas or a Duc with Termis, but fours aren't even on the scale.

7. Brand loyalty is nice, but test ride a Honda CB1300 before you go exchanging cash for smiles at a dealership ;)

I hear they are better in every way.

8. Thanks for the tip, will go check one out tomorrow.

Cheers,
    Matt

9. It's a toss up re health and safety. Loud pipes won't do your hearing any favours. I've noticed of late - using the telephone - how worse my hearing is in the right ear. Guess which side all my pipes have been on! I went and put the baffle in the Hornet's beefy Staintune. So much more pleasant, so much more relaxed and less fautigue-inducing!