Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Thomsom Dam - Walhalla <- Must Ride

Discussion in 'Roads, Touring, Journeys, and Travel' started by Masakali, Nov 21, 2012.

1. #1 Masakali, Nov 21, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2012
    I took another Wednesday off work to ride another of my favourite drives when I had my cage.

Having done Baw Baw, and South Gippsland earlier this month, today I decided to go to Walhalla for lunch.
    This is by far one of my favourite day trips from Melbourne, and anyone who has not done this ride before, I highly recommend it.

Forecast for today: 29 overcast, perfect! I'm not a fan of the sun, much prefer an overcast day, not too warm, not too cold.

Here's todays route: http://goo.gl/maps/BBuuC
    Stringing together some of Victoria's best motorcycling roads, source: AMA

Yarra Junction to Noojee
    Twisties: Med - Fast
    Surface: Logging trucks means few potholes here and there, but can be spotted easily
    Scenery: Boring forest

Noojee to Willowgrove Turnoff
    Twisties: Med
    Surface: Excellent and grippy
    Scenery: Climbing forest, no views

Willowgrove Road
    Twisties: Slow - Med
    Surface: Few potholes from logging trucks but tarmac is relatively new, narrowness of road and no centre line means oncoming trucks are a concern
    Scenery: Scenic forest

Then into Moe for fuel, and cash from ATM. There is 91 and 98 available from the Shell coming in from Willowgrove Road on the edge of town.

Moe to Erica
    Twisties: Med - Fast
    Surface: Excellent
    Scenery: Boring forest

Thomsom Dam
    Twisties: Slow - Med
    Surface: Excellent, if not for the leaves flying around everywhere, on a leave-less day this is a premium twisty section, VERY wide lanes, and no traffic
    Scenery: The Dam offers amazing views
    Beware of: The dam flies, bugs and crap at the dam, which swarm all over your helmet, hide inside, and pop up on the inside of your visor in front of your eye when your in the middle of an awesome bend and scares the shit out of you.
    Interesting fact: Thomsom Dam supplies almost all of Melbourne's water, and is linked to the Upper Yarra Reservoir at Reefton by a long long tunnel under Mt Baw Baw!
  2. Walhalla
    Now it has been an awesome day so far, in fact it is overcast everywhere, but... Walhalla, when I get to the bottom of climb it starts bucketing down. I've ridden in thunderstorms before, but never in rain on something so technical, the longer the climb went, the better, faster and more confident I got, didn't let a little rain ruin my day, in fact I had just as fun as if it was dry!
    Twisties: Slow, would be awesome fun in the dry as well
    Surface: Excellent
    Scenery: Hidden during climb, but Walhalla is an amazing town, and worthy of more than the hour I gave it.
    Rawson - Tyers
    So right after the descent, it stops raining. I'm thinking its only Walhalla that gets the rain as the road was dry.
    Twisties: Fast
    Surface: Excellent, even when raining
    Scenery: Views of the Latrobe valley, power stations, open cut mines
    Home via. Old Sale Road, Crossover twisties, Jindivick twisties, back roads to Nar Nar Goon
    I always use these roads (or similar) for my return from the LaTrobe valley, slower than the M1, but prevents me from falling asleep.
  3. Sounds like a great ride. Your climb up reminds media of Dorrigo.
  4. Damn, editing time expired.

Mods can you add the following for me.

Pictures for Willowgrove Rd:

Pictures for Thomsom Dam:

Second post needs 'l' added to end of image link to make it thumbnail size.
    ie. sd56.jpg = sd56l.jpg
  5. Nice write up! Thanks for sharing.
  6. I've done Moe to Walhalla road and it is a awesome ride.

Thanks for sharing the rest of your experience.
  7. Thanks for the write up.
    will add this to my list for the trip home from WSBK at PI