Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Thomas Cook boots

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by Spectre, Feb 2, 2005.

1. Finally got to test my Thomas Cook Touring boots in the rain this morning, water proof my @rse! Better than my el cheapo boots but still disappointing. Has anyone else worn these before and got wet, or am I just unlucky? :cry:

2. My wife had a set of Thomas Cook Gortex boots and they kept her feet dry. I know my Alpinestar Gortex boots kept my feet dry during a ride from canberra to Melbourne and it rained the entire way down.
    You might just be unlucky.

3. Return them (if you can). If they claim to be waterproof, so they should be.
    2 types of waterproofing out there:
    a) Goretex or similar and that usually works, really works.
    b) Poly-Urethane coated leather (meaning "waterproofing" agent is on the outside of the boot). This often doesn't work or only for a while until the PU-skin is scuffed off.

Then there's always the tried and trusted:) Safeway-bags strapped with duct-tape above the ankle :D :D

Goretex and Sympatex are stand-alone membranes often bonded to the carrier materials, many other "membranes" are either "coated into" the carrier-material or somehow part of the carrier-material....
    After many different boots it's ONLY Goretex/ Sympatex for me nowadays, pretty much everything else has proven a waste of dough.