Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

This morning...

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by RRdevil, Mar 20, 2013.

1. #1 RRdevil, Mar 20, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2013
    Sad news.

2. It's always a sobering moment when you are just going about the start of your day, said good bye to you wife and child, and like the day before hope on the bike to do the boring usual commute to work, with the expectation of a day at your boring job on the other end.

This morning though the traffic was realy bad, I got yelled at by a few drives when I was splitting slowl alone the way and after about 20 minutes, I saw a poor sole had lost his life on his bike, probabaly just heading to work like me. It's a very cold thing to see and to realise that every day you take the same risk and is it enough to just try to be safe.

I had be sort of riding along with a guy I sometimes see on a '97 dark blue VFR750 and previously was following him in before the acident and then we shared a few gestures of condolence for the poor sole that we didn't know, and took our time riding the rest of the way into the city, before a parting wave.

I've ridden for a long time and commutted for most of that time, but now with a family of my own, is it time to give up the bike commute? Does anyone else want to share there thoughts around this?

Stay as safe as you can guys / girls, RN.
    • Like Like x 4
  3. Give up the bike commute? Not necessarily. Be a little more mindful of HOW you ride on that commute? That might not be a bad thing.

I don't know you or how you ride, but patience on the commute and staying alert are never bad things.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Dont give up what you love. Small families do weigh heavily on when and where i choose to ride. I cant commute as i have to much gear to carry to work, but my family instantly changed how i ride on the road. I used to go out with mates and have time trials through the hills but have since retired that to tracks and enjoy cruise riding on the road. Still not slow but nowhere near the way we used to push. It took until my mate had his son for him to get why i had slowed down. Its the little innocent souls at home that change our lives.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. On another note did you continue to split lanes on your trip after your experience
  6. The riding community is small and this is not the best way to learn about the passing of a friend. Not to mention cause panic in anyone who knows someone that rides that route.

Stay safe.
    • Like Like x 3
  7. I've tried commuting - decided the added risk and occasional stress wasn't worth it. The number of zombie cages, all running late, tailgating each other, merging left and right everywhere and most of them cranky just set off alarm bells.

But this is Sydney
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Do not discuss the details of the particular incident. AFAIC you can voice your thoughts and reactions in general terms but stay away from talking about what you think happened.

The OP raised the issue of commuting, so try to keep it focused on that or the thread will be closed.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. our receptionist comes by there round 7 and was pretty rattled by it... shes about to get her license and her bf rides...

very sad.
  10. Not just mothers mate. I hate hearing these things on roads you know friends use to commute. At exactly the same time, the same description... Chills down the spine. Not a good feeling. Unfortunately I haven't been hearing good news lately. Freaking me out a bit. I am secretly hoping the rain/cold comes around sooner to drop the number of these incidents.

Ride safe.
  11. Darn..

Personally my self, after doing my fair share of riding to Sydney from west all the time, put me off riding at least as commuting goes, its alright if you don't wish to ride to work or what ever, I get it.
  12. I've quit commuting a few times already. It was great time off. Like hitting the reset button. If you're thinking you need a break then by all means take it. Try cycling to work once a week if possible...
    • Like Like x 1
  13. I gave up commuting to work..........going to work tired and coming home buggered.........riding a bike in those conditions isnt the best idea.
  14. i've tried not riding for a full two weeks. i became depressed and withdrawn and i was'nt as sharp at work.
    i had a loan on a friends late model conformodoore. quite a revelation, you really can't see anything apart from what's right in front of you. i have a better understanding now from the drivers pov.
    i still have zero understanding of why anyone would buy such a shithouse vehicle for public road use.
    but alas my mind was devolving into a cager zombie sack of mush and i really was becomming irritable around family and work collegues.
    no way to live. better of dead etc. so i ride and i don't make mistakes and everythings just fine.
    • Like Like x 6
  15. I commute everyday on the Monash, and it can be bad at times. A lot of Cars change lanes without indicating or hit the indicator as they turn the steering wheel, which only gives you half or one flash of their indicator.
    But I see a lot of bikes on my trip, some split fast, some spilt slowly, some don't lane split at all. It is up to each rider to choose what they are comfortable doing.
    I either go into the other lane and go around the slower splitters and move over and signal to pass for the faster splitters. I don't get too fussed if I get caught up behind another bike for a while I am only going to work no great hurry!
    For me it is worth the time saved in travel, I save around ½ an hour in the mornings and closer to an hour in the afternoon trip home. (y)
    • Like Like x 1
  16. The only way to guarantee to not crash is to not ride.

So the argument really is how to reduce the odds. Might be worth reading or thinking a bit more about this. robsalvv has something in his sig about this - i haven't looked at it in a while. Might be worth a look?

I am not convinced that not commuting and just riding for fun on weekends is going to reduce your odds. I personally find that the more I commute, the less I find i need to get out of the weekends. Riding everyday can keep your skills up better than riding occasionally, so it is possible that continuing to commute will reduce your odds. I think at least some of the road casualty stats support the idea that those who commute have the lowest odds of crashing - I could be wrong. Someone here will know.

For myself, I like to reduce the odds by not riding if I am stressed or distracted by something else. So perhaps it depends a bit on your personal and work circumstances?

I also like to reduce the odds by regular training. I have been doing some sort of course at least once a year. So far so good, no crashing :)

Last HART course I did had a self analysis questionnaire to evaluate your own risks. I thought this was a clever idea (though didn't particularly agree with the way it was done). I think the self analysis bit was worthwhile.

I have seen some people post up videos for comment on their riding. This is possibly a good idea, even though you will inevitably get dodgy or unhelpful advice. There will be some gems if you are open to them. I tried this with some videos of me trying to filter, I found the dicussion very helpful and it has improved my riding.

Good luck and perhaps at least something good can come out of this tragic event.
    • Like Like x 3
  17. This looks like road rage rather than a missed blind shoulder (driver education issue) .. since the driver jumped 2 lanes without any hesitation during or after the incident. This was done on purpose.
  18. perhaps.
    but just as likely a scenario where the driver had no idea there was a bike alongside when he/she tried to beat the traffic
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Re. the video - I think it was more likely a SMIDSY. The two right-most lanes were slowing with the left still moving freely. Both the bike and the cage went for the left-most lane at the same time. Also, as there was no "contact" per se, the driver left the scene completely oblivious to what unfolded.
  20. The majority of fatal crashes actually occur in the country. On a vehicle kilometres travelled basis, commuting is actually safer.