Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

This morning event

Discussion in 'Your Near Misses - A Place to Vent' at netrider.net.au started by Dp., Apr 21, 2011.

1. This morning like any other morning I was riding to work. Doing speed limit I see a car slowly approaching from the left. I am getting closer but the car keeps going and pulls in front of me like I was not there. Car was doing probably 10 km/h and there still was some distance so I decided to swerve right and overtake it without increasing speed. As soon as I swerved the car without any indication started turning right crossing my path. I had to e-brake to avoid a collision. Thanks to powerful double disk brakes on FZ I could stop quick enough and did not hit the car. Rear wheel probably was not in the air...I did not notice it is landing. Somehow I managed to stall the engine although I did not notice the rear wheel was locked, bike did not fishtail and I have not heard any screaching noises.
    When the car has gone I have released brakes and rolled to the road shoulder by inertia. The car disappeared quickly probably they did not even notice I was there...or did not want to stop.
    The lady who was nearby walking with her dog asked if I was all right and told me she saw they pulled in front of me.
    I told her I was all right, put bike in the first gear and continued my way.
    Anyway lesson learnt - slow cars are dangerous, keep an eye on them, they are almost unpredictable.

I have attached a picture of the road. Red line is a path of the car, blue line is a path of my bike.

Attached Files:

2. Bloody hell dude, that is just friggen unbelievable... Glad you are OK.

3. Ill bet you the **** head was following a GPS... ive see countless times people looking to see where they need to go on a GPS oblivious to traffic around them!!
    Dangerous ****n distractions for the dopey!

4. What an ahole.

5. I read a book about excellence once, and the author surveyed what it means to be "Excellent" in a variety of fields, including truck driving. It seems that all the truck drivers who were deemed excellent by their employers all used to drive along looking for threats and asking themselves "what will I do if this moron on the side road pulls out in front of me?" Im' trying to cultivate that habit as a rider, sounds like it might have been relevant in your situation also.

Them turning right in front of you was a total shit thing tho. I think if I'd had someone crawling along pull out right in front of me, I probably would have rolled on to overtake just like you did. Glad you're ok and kept it upright!!

6. That is a sound practice, and a rider would be foolish if they did NOT do that.

The earlier a rider starts to do that, the sooner they will learn to alert themselves to the potential for danger ahead, and be ready with a reaction, should it occur.
    ( since one cannot plan for an emergency situation unless they can see perceive it developing).

Everyone should be doing this constanly. If they are'nt, then they need to start doing it.

7. Firstly, good job on avoiding the crash... It would have been nasty....

I find that sometimes I fall into habits "just coz I can"... Like I filter even though its not completely safe, just because i've done it at the 8 sets of lights before. Or overtake smoothly because thats what i've been doing in the hills all day...

I had a very similar situation while on my Ls. I had a car come charging across three lanes of traffic, and push their way infront of me. Now, I was just thinking "asshole, why the f&%# do you need to be over here so badly". Thats when he clapped on the brakes hard without indicating and turned...

The fact that they were travelling slowly should have clued you into something was going on. I would have slowed down and seen what they were doing. If they were just dopey and continued to drive down the road at 10k/hr, I would have then overtook them. But the fact they were driving slowly should have given you the hint that maybe they were looking to turn, or looking to pull off...

8. Good thing you stayed upright :)

9. Sadly, dp, this stuff happens all the time. There is no fix, and the various preventative measures you can employ have their limits. They are still worth doing. Be aware. Be alert. Be cautious. Be constantly scanning the situation and surroundings, and constantly analysing and figuring out what might happen next, and how you might need to respond to that. That won't prevent all accidents, but it will put you on the right foot to avoid the ones that are avoidable.

10. what a knob.... glad you can write about it in full health!

11. +1 the_blacke ... my philosophy exactly.

KN

12. Reading all your comments I would say I am with kneedragon as his comment reflects reality not only the theory of defensive driving/riding.

Like Raven said the rider must be foolish if they don’t practice defensive riding constantly. This is exactly what I do constantly as this is my philosophy as well and it has helped a lot in different situations.

For example like in this given situation a car slowly (10 km/h) approaching from the left and you are riding at speed limit (60km/h). What are the possibilities?

At that speed the car can stop instantly….if driver wants to. So initially it should not set an alarm. If the car was approaching at speed in this case it is not a question we should prepare to brake and start slowing down.

As we are getting closer to each other at some distance to the car it becomes clear the car is not going to stop and is about to cross your path. It sets an alarm and raises a question what action to choose: e-brake or swerve.
    As the road is clear, car doing 10km/h, not indicating their intention to turn right swerve and overtake might seem like a good idea. Although possibility for the car to turn right exists all the time as there are lots of driveways on that road and following the car all the time at 10km/h expecting the driver to do that sounds like overkill.

Decision to swerve and overtake is made. No increase in speed required as there already is 50km/h difference so overtaking process should take only couple of seconds.

As we are ready to pass the car it suddenly turns right and crosses our path again but this time it is much closer. This time we can’t swerve back…and e-brake test begins…60km/h -> 0km/h in a few metres.

Being able to e-brake is another skill of defensive riding. I have never practiced e-braking just for the sake of training but very often brake very hard when stop at the lights. If there is no car behind me, no rubbish or oil/water on the road I always do that, it is like a habit. Same like hard take off 0->60km/h in first gear provided road is clear and I can do that safely. (Could be useful to avoid being rear ended)

Apparently it helped a lot as I did not panic (still wondering though how I managed to stall the engine) just smoothly and quickly applied brakes. Test passed well for me and for the bike and I believe there was some reserve left so we could brake even harder.

If it would not help…protection from the riding gear would be the last resort…Luckily we did not get to it.

Talking about Excellent truck drivers I don’t know what they could do in the given situation. Because they can’t swerve and can’t stop quickly their only option is to drive slow and always brake if they see a car approaching at any speed.

I must admit immediately after the car has gone I wished next time they do the same thing instead of a 200kg bike there would be a 20t truck driven by a driver of the same skills and attitude like they are.

So what would I do differently next time?
    Probably seeing another side road not far away on the other side of the road I would postpone overtaking and rather slow down even if some extent of e-braking would be involved. Even having all these driveways possibility is higher that they make a turn to the side road rather than a driveway. So, I would wait and see…

13. Glad you avoided it. There are some fools around.

Similar thing happened to my colleague on Albert Street in East Melbourne (for those that don't know it, two lanes each with a wide median strip) except the car was parked on his left, pulled out into his lane, so he moved into the right lane and backed off a bit, and then she did a u-turn in front of him from the left lane.

He was on a Sportster and not so able to stop. One broken collarbone and a metal pin later, and the woman sends him a demand for payment for the damage to her car. Turns out she only has third party insurance.

This was about a kilometre from home, so his wife has time to get there and give the girl a massive serve as he's being loaded into the ambulance...

14. #14 davesquirrel, May 5, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
    [media=youtube]LK9-Ikcu0sY[/media]

Apologies for posting this probably yet again...