Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

THIS is how you make Porridge - Long!

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by cejay, Jul 16, 2006.

1. Ah, the joys of winter. Lovely balmy days, pleasant rides in the countryside, nice roads, friendly policeman....Hang on, someone wake me up...

So, it's pouring with rain and it's a Saturday. Do you:

a.) Get the Xbox out and try to work out MotoGP6
    b.) Complete the Desert warfare campaign on Call of Duty
    c.) Watch TV/Walk the dogs/Housework
    d.) Go out with a friend for a ride to a cafe for lunch

Yup, any sensible person would have picked a/b and maybe, if you were desperate c. But I picked D! But the company was excellent, the prospect of food was enticing and it's only rain eh?

Nice little run out to Yarra Glen, revelling in the newly found grip of the Pilot Powers, the tuned suspension that now seems to provide handling rather than some form of medieval torture and we end up in Healesville for a really nice lunch. Open fire (nice and toasty), good service and excellent food (I can recommend the poached eggs and mushrooms on toast - yum!), coupled with 2 lovely lattes made for a great afternoon. Alas, time has marched on and I needed to get back to get ready for the Fire and Ice party at Deyagos (way to go Jake!).

Riding back along Maroondah Highway I am in the outside lane of the small sectiion of dual carriageway heading towards Coldstream and opposite St Huberts winery. The bike is upright, I am upright, there is no steering input or body input, just a pleaseant 100kmh and nearly home.

Have you ever experienced that feeling when you go 'uh oh, this don't feel right'? Given that I am upright, the involuntary change of direction that the bike is now making is confusing the hell out of me. The bike starts coming to the left, the front starts going away from me and then BANG! I am on my (little) arse, tumbling and watching in vivid technicolour my bike sliding away from me (thank God) and the car that was behind me now sideways on, sliding and then BANG! They crash into a tree on the embankment.

After stopping (and it didn't take that long) I have this overriding sense of fear that I am going to be collected by the cars behind and approaching. You have never seen anyone stumble up an embankment so quickly.

So there I am, sitting on the embankment and my ride partner for the day comes towards me with a look of calm on their face. Mmmm, I think they've done this before! 1/2 dozen cars stop and everyone is so helpful, none more so than a lovely lady called Shannon who was wonderful, calling the police, ambulance etc...A quick turn to the right the Pulsar that crashed is now facing the right way with it's left rear quarter pretty well mangled.

Suddenly the euphoria of not being run over is replaced by an real desire to vomit. I need to get the helmet off and have a little bit of a lie down. In the rain, but the rain was cooling and the wet of the grass made me feel just a little bit better. Still, my hands were sore, my elbow was killing me but everything else felt fine.

Now the ambo's arrive and with them, the police. First reports are that there is a diesel slick about where I came off and then CFA are called. 3 crews turn up and the road is closed for 20-30 minutes why they use detergent to wash off the crap. I'm in the ambulance having a check up and other than an irregular beat my rate was calm and not bad for someone who's just had an off. Blood pressure a nice 150/80 is not too bad either in said situation...

The 3 people in the Pulsar are shaken but ok and seem more concerned as to my wellbeing than anything else. No acrimony, just an exchange of details and some real concern on all sides. Police are not interested in me at all, observe the condition of the road and once the PBT is complete, they are happy for me to go on my way.

The bike is loaded onto the back of Scumbags trailer and sent back to my place for a very sore, sad and a little depressed Cejay to both ponder his good fortune and bad luck in equal measure.

The elbow suffered friction burns from my clothers, not from the gravel. The Dri-Rider has armour in the elbows and the impact resulted in some swelling in my arm and a small tear in the fabric. 10/10

I used my old Dainese jeans. Good move. They have Kevlar knee and shin protection. I know I went down onto my knee (scuff marks and some soreness) but no other damage. A small tear in the stretch panel. 9/10

Gloves and boots worked perfectly. Hands were realy sore and tingly afterwards. No abrasions or hand damage. Gloves/boots 10/10

Helmet. This is weird. My visor is scuffed and scratched, but my helmet shell never touched the ground. But the visor stayed attached and didn't break. 10/10

Bike. Er, well, if anyones wants a mint condition Fireblade I know someone who might be able to sell you some parts! The bike is stuffed. At least the left hand side is stuffed. LH fairings, front fairing, rear section, gear level, swingarm and frame are all either broken, gouged, scraped or scuffed. Alternator cover is ground away, radiator hose was ground down, raidiator has a dent, clutch reservoir is ground, basically, if it's on the left, it's buggered.

Insured with Shannons, so I need to call them tomorrow, contact a bike doctor and try to get a preliminary evaluation on the repair status of the bike. One part of me says, fix it, it's a great bike, the other part says it'll never be the same, half the parts will be long back orders and I might not see it for months.

I don't know what lessons I can take from this experience. I was doing nothing other than riding in a straight line on a wet day. I wasn't exceeding any posted speed limit, was relaxed and happy but alert and aware of the situation. Really, I can't think of what I could have done differently to change the outcome. And that's always a little scary. My last accident was 21 yrs ago when I was a teenage male with an RD250LC and no skill. I could see what I did wrong back then and it's easy to correct that. But when all you're doing is riding in a straight line?

Positives are that good gear helps. I hit the deck at 100kmh. There was no retardation prior to hitting the ground. All I have is a sore elbow, some damaged pride and a broken bike. As they say, any accident you can walk away from is a good accident.

Photo's here

DAC = Diesel Appreciation Club. Rob is #1. I am honoured to be #2.
  2. damn man,
    that is seriously unlucky. :(

glad you're ok and I hope the insurance is quick asnd easy
  3. Tis a sad thing looking at (yet another) Fireblade in a very sorry state of affairs :( Most importantly is your ok CeJay! Is a scary senario when you have no control over whats happening to you & when it happens within a week to 2 very experienced/careful riders I know, reitterates just how careful one needs to be out there ........ Rest up Good :)
  4. Wishing you a speedy recovery CJ. :)
  5. Shite mate, my turn to say "Daaaaaayyaamn!"

At least you are ok, main thing that really counts! Followed by the love of riding and the bike! I think some rides to your place while the bike is being repaired, if it's a long period and there is sunny weekends, I'll let the 675 put a smile on your dial mate. :grin:

We'll work stuff out sometime to catch up :) My appreciation for all the support you (and others!) have given to me mate. At present, it's about the only thing I can offer while still healing.

CAB = Cejay Appreciation Club :grin:
  6. Bloody hell, glad your OK and somewhat scared of the unpredicable prospect of this happening to me. :S
  7. Holy shyte cajay.
    When I was reading that I thought the car had hit you from behind...

Bloody diesel on the roads it begining to play with my refound confidence on my bike after such a long spell off.
    If that was me I would have broken some part of me no doubt.

Shame about your bike, but lookfoward to getting a new one and bike shopping.

You guys will have to teach me how to fall and walk away.
    Lucky escape cejay but shame for the bike.

Anything you need then just give me a shout.
    If you need the Hornbag for some RDO 250 fun then just let me know.

Sorry to hear about your fall.

Keep us posted on how the insyrance goes.

8. Does the gallery work with firefox?
  9. Sorry to hear of your misfortune Cliff. If anyoune was to be believed about sticking on the speed limit, you would be the one in my book.
    I know exactly what you mean about not being able to prevent the accident or prepare yourself in some way to avoid it. It's just one of those things. Shit happens. Just pure bad luck. And pure good luck you were not injured.
    I myself believe one has a use by date. You can certainly shorten that timeframe, but when your numbers up -your numbers up. So forget about it, jump back on a bike & enjoy every ride you go on. One does not appreciate life until you realise how fragile it really is.
    I believe motorcyclists are aware of this fact -subconciously perhaps, & this is what provides such enjoyment & pleasure.
    So don't deprive yourself. Ride on :grin: :grin:
  10. Yes :grin:
  11. What a biatch of a think to have happen. Glad to hear the gear scored a 9/10 or better, and that your fine because of that scoring.

Sounds like the front was the one to give way?
  12. I couldn't really say what the actual chain of events was, it happened very very quick, but I seem to remember the bike changing direction on me with the back coming out first. Sort of implies that the bike might have started to spin as the front was starting to slide? Even at 100kmh, the bike is making (up to) 60hp, so a slick road would allow that to happen.

I was really pleased with the gear. No broken bones, minor abrasions to the elbow and two nice little marks on my bum are all I've goto to show for it. Phew!
  13. It's amazing how lucky you can be, even when luck runs out. Good to see you're ok mate. :)

Shame about the bike :( but at least you can look forward to the exciting world of new bike shopping. :)
  14. Weird. Only IE would show the pics for me....
    oh well.

Can't believe I forgot to say.....

<Wee Scottish accent>

"But that's no' how you make porridge."
  15. Dammmm Cejay :( , glad your ok..

Hope the insurance gets worked out quickly, and your back on 2 wheels before too long.
  16. Just incredible that you can totally root a great bike on sticky tyres in a bloody STRAIGHT LINE!

Never seen anything like it mate, I'm blown away. That thing is ablsolutely smashed to pieces!
  17. Glad to hear you ok, very very lucky indeed.

Just dragged my 17 yr over here to look @ the pics
    Hubby had to go out looking for him lastnight & it was pouring (we need it but not the weather I want my kid out in just yet. only had L's for couple weeks)

Main thing is your alive & here to tell the story.
  18. Jeez two diesel spill accidents in a week; what's happening down there in Victoria? Are there farmers driving round with diesel tanks on the back of tractors lubricating the roads, or what????

Once again a testament to good gear, and a reminder that crashes are quite survivable as long as you don't hit something before you stop. It's good to have all of you still with us Cliff, and I'm sure the excitement of having to buy another bike will ease the bumps and bruises over the next few days.....
  19. Not good news about the bike CJ, but I'm glad that with the proper protective gear you have managed to receive only minor injuries.

Hope you are back up on two wheels soon :angel:
  20. Spewing cejay, least your OK!

I was driving the cage to son's basketball this morning and noticed a couple of pretty rainbows on the road, is deisel so cheap they can waste it?

take care out there I hate porridge.