Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

This is driving me mad about online bike sales

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by Fronk, Jul 10, 2012.

1. So, the past year or so I've been after a particular vintage motorcycle, for a fair price.
    I've spent an awful amount of time trawling just about every online source of ads; eBay, Gumtree, BikeSales, JustBikes, and a few smaller classified sites.

One thing I've noticed, in the past year prices for the bike I'm after have gone up a good 2 - 3k in the past year. And it's a pretty simillar trend for other old bikes. This trend seems to be online only, and doesn't seem to have hit many paper ads or club ads.

What I'm guessing, is that dealers list their bikes online for their marked up price. Private sellers go on to immitate these dealer prices, thinking that that is how much their bike is actually worth. I've talked to some sellers who wonder why their bike won't sell, saying that there are so many others for simillar prices.

Has anybody else noticed this trend? Although I've finally found the bike I was after for a fair price, this still drives me nuts.
  2. at the end of the day a motor bike is only worth what some one is willing to pay ,im always looking for old British bikes to buy, what i think they are worth is not always what the seller thinks they are worth .and parts for vintage bikes is way over priced,in saying that i have made some great deals on buying and selling vintage parts
  3. I have noticed similar trends (with common motorcycles) yes. I had been looking for over 6 months for a sports tourer before I picked up my st1300. To this day some motorcycles that were listed at the beginning of the year are still for sale. The reasons being that they were either copying the dealer prices or listing the highest redbook evaluation possible at $15-18k (even if they had high kms or were a little banged up).
    The person selling the bike I own today sold it within a week of advertising because he listed it at $10k, it has avg kms, full service history and is still in showroom condition with only 1-2 minor marks.
  4. Shops like Dues drive up prices as well. People see the imported bikes and think their old junkers are worth the same.
    And dues over charges for sticking on a few bits and a paint job...
  5. British or Japanese? The Japanese bikes have jumped a stupid amount in the last couple of years. Bikes which I used to ride because they were cheap, are now more expensive than the more modern bikes which I would have much preferred to ride but could not afford.
  6. i was on bikesales the other night, and i do see people trying to get more for their bikes than what they are potentially worth.. for example

bike A) had done like 40 thousand klms was a 2008, had heaps of mods done to it, they wanted something like 15k for it.
    bike 8) the same bike, had done less klms was a later model, and only had a couple of mods done to it, and they only wanted 12k.

people are trying to get extra money for the mods they put on the bike.. or just because its a popular bike.. they think they'll get the price they want for it..

as someone has already said, its only going to be worth what someones willing to pay, if you want 15k for your bike because thats what you feel it is worth.. no harm in asking that.

it may not sell very quickly.

you can spend all the money in the world modding your bike but chances are you won't get that money back out of it..
  7. in the car world, modifying them loses value. Originality is everything. i would have thought the same in mbike world....

if i wanted to buy a classic 60's or 70's british or japanese bike.....i wouldnt want it butchered. that only exception to that rule is when there is an INHERENT problem with a particular model, and the known 'fix', was to put the later/previous model carby etc, or maybe brakes from a previous or later model.
  8. You would think so, I agree entirely. When I'm looking at a car or bike, I look for one that is completely stock standard, or has been modified tastefully and professionally.

For instance, a car that had been modified by having the body kit from a sports model fitted, I would not have a concern with, provided the parts were original and fitted/painted correctly.

One with an aftermarket spoiler and taillights self fitted etc. I would be put off by out of concern for how the vehicle has been driven, and the quality of fitment. Not necessarily a fair assessment in all scenarios, but my first impressions. Bike's are no different.

That said, I've modified every one of my cars/bikes in one way or another, my highest priority is ensuring everything that is done is both installed, and looks like it came that way out of the factory. If I can't do it myself I'll get it done for me by a professional who can. I also never expect my money returned when I sell the vehicle. I expect to be able to ask a premium for the condition I keep my vehicles in compared to the average, but the modifications in most cases are worth next to nothing to a potential buyer.
  9. There are some people asking crazy prices for CX500's nowadays. Especially for crappy (as opposed to well done) cafe conversions.

ha ha ha no I think I'll keep my full Akro system rather than the original Suzuki POS thanks.
  10. Yeah i've noticed it too and find it equally as annoying, but the same goes for cars. The internet and petrol prices I think have pushed up prices, and with smart phones now and multiple online auction and sales sites you can browse/bid/buy anywhere for vehicles in any state.
  11. the number of unbelivably shit cafe conversions of old bikes demanding massive prices is also large and annoying because these people are ruining the old bikes.
  12. I blame home improvement shows on tv - and the whole notion that stitching together old socks to make curtains (or some similar method of turning old crap into "art" by following instructions) will massively increase the value of a home.

As far as I'm concerned it only makes sense to modify a bike (or car) if you're planning on keeping it for long enough that the cost of the modification becomes irrelevant.
  13. Print sales media is now largely the realm of old blokes and the computer illiterate. If they're not online they can't follow the trends or easily judge the "value" of their items against dozens of other similar items. I think the prices reflect that.