Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Thinking of getting a Ducati 748

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' at netrider.net.au started by dims, Jul 25, 2007.

1. Well my previous topic got deleted in the general discussion section, damn...had some good info in there too...

I'm thinking of getting a Ducati 748. Does anyone know the difference between a standard 748 and a 748S?

What is the best way to distinguish between the two? I always thought that on the side of the bike where the 748 is written there is an 's' following it. Also that the 748S has 5 spoke rims? The reason i ask is that there is a LOT of bikes on various sites for sale claiming they are an 's' when they don't have these two features...

Can anyone please clarify this for me?
    And also if you could please let me know the difference between the two, thanks in advance.

2. The 'S' was the intermediate model, between the 748 and the 748r.

They have 5 spoke wheels, and showa rear shock (base model has a sachs unit), amongst other changes. Different wheels (3 spoke) may have been offered or they may be earlier model S's(?).

There's no 'S' written on the 748 series, only the 749 series.

You can always check the vin with ducati Aus if unsure.

3. If you look at the rear ductail there is ducati 748S in a decal on each side