Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Thinking of buying a Yamaha cv50a jog

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by BELA, Mar 15, 2008.

1. Hi ,

I havnt ever been on a scooter before but am looking to get one for going to work a short distance, the road is 70k and i thought a scooter might be ideal for short distance. I went to a shop this morning and they mentioned i would be best with the above scooter but it only goes 60k and the road ill be on is 70 so im not quite sure that it will be good enough. I have read a bit about getting things made unrestricted but i just wanted some feed back on this and if any one else can suggest something better ect, i only have a normal car license and dont want to spend to much, the jog seemed good its only 1900 pretty cheap.

Any feedback would be good, thanks for your help...
  2. Welcome.

I wouldn't get a 50cc if I regularly had to do 70km zones.. in fact I'd never get a 50cc.

Get 100-150cc and thank me later.
  3. My dad commuted to work on a 50cc Yamaha zuma for around 3 years, stock it was pretty bad (Tops out at 50km/h, which is the limit for 50cc scooters internationally)

Its pretty easy to derestrict, just either change the CDI, or on the early models change the wiring in the loom around a bit. However, doing just this won't give you more than a bit more top speed (~55 or so).
    You can a bit more by changing the weights inside the transmission, to make it rev higher. I resorted to shaving metal off the inside of the CVT to allow it to come closer together, thus increasing the top speed a bit.
    Even then, after all these mods ect, it can only go about 65 and it isn't hugely fast getting there. Keep in mind, this is with a basically stock engine (And no expansion chamber or anything special, its a basic scooter).

Fast forward ages, He upgrades. Twice.

The first upgrade was a 125cc Honda leed scooter, the older design with the large frame. Fantastic scooter to ride, Plenty of power(Compared with the Zuma) and handles well. 2 days later an elderly person decides to do a U-turn in the middle of a main road, without looking, in the rain(Didn't slow down for it, just pulled in on the left, and swung around). Bike was a complete write off.

Fast foward a month or so, His insurance had paid out, and had cash in hand :)
    Next scooter... Yamaha BWS100, Basically a slightly larger zuma scooter, with a 100cc engine. The power is very hard to compare with the zuma, it takes off faster (Even after all the changes to transmission on the 50) cruises easily (Hills are no worries at all) and the most important thing, it stops.

If I had to ride a scooter around for commuting, The 50 would drive me insane. It can do it, but given the choice, why would you? The 100 handles the speed limits so much better, and gives you a lot more options when things go wrong.
    Then again, this is in Victoria, so I guess a 50cc makes a little more sense in that you can use it on a car license?

The Zuma was $900 4 years ago.
    The Leed was just over $1000.
    The BWS100 was $1200, However it was an import. Aus. delivered bikes are around 2k.
    All second hand, with below 10,000km's. The zuma is still going with allmost 30k km's on it. No reason to sell it really as it costs nothing to maintain and only $100 a year to register.
  4. You'd definitely be better off with something a little bigger, especially since this would also require getting a motorcycle licence. The skills and knowledge you'd gain from such a course may well save your life someday, even if you never own anything bigger than a 100cc scooter.
  5. I used to own a 50cc scooter, and it was dangerous. I really only felt comfortable on back roads, as on the main roads you were really pushing to do 60. You have nothing left if you need to accelerate.

I now have a 100cc Honda Lead, and it is much better! It has a top speed of 80, can accelerate past 60 when needed to get past a car in traffic, can keep up with traffic without a problem, and...

...it forced me to get my motorbike licence.

I know it costs a bit to get, but the training that you'll get when you get your licence is invaluable. It really is worth it, and it opens up so many other options as well.

If you're heading onto 70k/hr roads, DON"T GET A 50! It isn't a safe move. You are definitely safer on something with even just a little more poke.
  6. We've got a 100cc lead for commuting. It copes pretty well and I wouldn't think of anything smaller. The 50cc would be OK if you lived in the inner city and didn't need to go far or fast.
  7. i need to go about 5 mins down the road ( thats car time it takes) and the road is 70, so it seemed the smarter option to get a scooter, save spending 20,000 on a car plus rego and everything that comes with a car. I have not had any experience on motorbikes or scooters so im a bit worried as it is, i want to be safe thats probly the most important thing, that might mean buying a car by the sounds of it eek. I dont care about how fast it goes i just want it to safely do what i need it to do.
  8. don't be put off. its just a 50cc scooter probably won't do what you want whereas 100cc will.
  9. Yeah don't be put of by any means. You just need to be aware that you are vulnerable on any bike/scooter in traffic and that not being able to keep up increases that risk (car drivers can do stupid things when they get frustrated by slow traffic). Knowing how to swerve and brake effectively to avoid an accident is also very useful, which is the stuff you learn at a motorcycle licence course.
  10. Well riding of course is less safe than a car.

But when its the difference between 20000 and 2000.. :grin:

If you get a scoot, get at least 100.
  11. My mum was saying she took a scooter for a test ride and it went 80, so you must be able to get scooters on a normal license that go 80, i mean i know two people now who have said this and one who owns a peugeot scooter that goes 80 on car license..So is this correct? I should be able to get a scooter that will go 80 with out a motorbike license, im still going to get some lessons and hopefully find a safety course or something i can do though,
  12. Five minutes? How far is that? It takes me about 5min to do 2km with roadabouts only. If you only want to commute with it, I'd say get it.
    Very cost effective.
  13. I would guess its about 3km down the road, i would only be using it for that, its a straight road 70k and it has one really big round about which is a bit scary, but my mum took a test ride on what and if she can do it surely i can, shes like 57 lol, she has ridden a motor bike before though when she was younger, she isnt real keen on me riding one but its the cheapest option other then a push bike and that would take to long.
  14. I'm not sure about the law in Qld, but in SA to ride a scooter without a motorbike licence it needs to be 500cc or less, and restricted to 60km/h. These scooters are often easy to derestrict, and depending on the scooter many will do 70 when unresctricted.

If you derestrict a 50cc you can no longer ride on a car licence. If you have an accident, and the scooter is found to be unrestricted, then your insurance has just flown out the window. The likelihood of this happening isn't high, but is it a chance you want to take? Also, here in SA the police are starting to actively pull over scooters going over 60, and are issuing fines.

I still think a motorbike licence is invaluable due to the training that you receive. It is worth paying a little extra for, and you've got the licence if you ever want to use it in the future.
  15. The OP wants to commute 3 km down a straight road with only one big roundabout, and save as much money as possible?

I know this is a motorbike forum :LOL: , but why on earth has nobody screamed 'BICYCLE!' yet?!? :?

For other purposes, sure get a bike/car/scooter, but if the above is all that you'll be doing, then go with a pushie! do your bit for the environment and for the obesity epidemic :LOL:
  16. They mentioned it themselves. Although anyone thinking 3km is going to take too long on a bicycle could probably do with a bit more exercise, even at a very moderate pace shouldn't take any more than 10-15 minutes.

Of course something like this might be another option:
  17. i already get more then enough exercise, but thanks ill keep the bike in mind, i did consider it but i dont really want to go to work all slimey as appealing as im sure that would be. My sister in law has a 50cc scooter that goes to 85k speedo shows 80 and she only has a car license and its all legal, so thats what ill be looking for. Might not even need it yet, will depend if i change jobs, but anyway thanks for the feedback.
  18. if a push bike is an option you can probably get by on a 50cc scooter! I bet you will be bored with it within a few months and move up.