Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Thinking about a Duke, question about servicing

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' at netrider.net.au started by screwball, May 10, 2007.

1. Hey guys,

I've been pondering an upgrade for some time, recently asked a question about some of the 'generic' 600's being the Gixxer/Honda/Kwaka etc variety.

Recently had a bit of a peek at a Ducati at my local dealership and had a question about them that always kinda haunted me..

Are they expensive to service? My old man priced one some years ago and the servicing costs were astronomical!

I really really like the Ducati's and would LOVE to own one, they make naked and sexy really mix well (I'm talking motorcycles here by the way guys) so yeah, any experiences?

Thanks in advance.

2. From what I hear, Ducati's need their own set of tools to access some areas of the bike. So you can either buy these tools yourself (which I hear you have to order from italy), or take it to a Ducati service center. Not sure how much a service is, but IF you cant do minor services yourself without forking out cash for special tools then I wouldnt bother with a duc. Ask your dealer about it...

3. Ducati's new marketing campaign is all about the new Ducati's having half the servicing costs compared to the old.

4. Hey at least with a ducati, when you park out the front of a coffee house, you won't be looked at oddly ;)

5. Possibly. There is more labour involved.
    If you want to go the DIY route, you can gain access to special tools by joining a Ducati Owners Club in your state.

6. I believe the 4 valve models are more expensive then the 2 valve models.

Have you ridden one yet? I rode a 750M once and was surprised how uninspiring and gutless it was.

Not to say I wouldn't consider a 900ss or similar, just saying they might not be what you expect.

7. Ok, as most people know I work at a dealership in the service area.
    YOu can do most of the work yourself especially on the older carby fed 2 valve bikes.
    Oil and brake fluid once per year is all you really need plus maybe a mixture and balance check.
    If you do 10 000 km get the valve checked, better if you have a dealer do it just because they have the access to the parts.
    Timing belts every two years or 20 000 km, can be done by yourself just need to make sure they are tensioned correctly. Quick job at a dealer to tension.
    Cost wise.
    Belts, 55 each for a 600
    oil filter 20
    brake and clutch fluid is what ever you buy
    same with your oil.
    If you have any more questions just pm me

8. D'oh... that's precisely the bike I was looking at.

Damnit!

So what other naked 600/750 bikes exist that are of the same style? Naked i mean.

Man!

9. [quote="Scumbag
    If you do 10 000 km get the valve checked, better if you have a dealer do it just because they have the access to the parts.
    Timing belts every two years or 20 000 km, can be done by yourself just need to make sure they are tensioned correctly. Quick job at a dealer to tension. [/quote]

So that's every 3 and 6 months for me. Not so bad I suppose.

10. You may just need to go the 900M instead. Don't take my word for it. Take one or both for a ride. It may be exactly what you are looking for.

a sv650 would probably go harder than the 750M (flame time)