Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Think your bike actually needs you?

Discussion in 'Multimedia' at netrider.net.au started by Gromit, Oct 10, 2005.

1.  Top
  2. Dunno if the GP's under threat...

"In July 2002, the US Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) announced that it would award a cash prize of $1 Million to the team that builds an autonomous robotic ground vehicle that will successfully win a race from Los Angeles to Las Vegas.

On March 13, 2004, the Grand Challenge took place with no vehicles completing more than 8 miles autonomously before being disqualified.

You think they may have underestimated the difficulties a tad?

But interesting...

JJ

3.  Top
  4. i saw somethign about that bike on discovery channel maybe.
    wasnt overly impressed with it. the ammount of time and money spent, and thats all they came up with, as soon as it hit a bump it was on its ass...

5. No mention of the bike tho :?

When are the yanks going to realise that technology alone won't win their battles? Imagine the look on the boffins faces if Osama managed to steal or copy the keys (crypto) and made all the robot humvees and tanks wear tea towels and instigate their own mechanical jihad?

The idea that ""It's a no-brainer that 50 to 60 years from now, cars will drive themselves," is scary, imagine the chaos when your average virrii or worm hits the highways!!

Your bike will refuse to stop unless you agree to Jumbo Mokoko's Nigerian scam. You'll risk a big warning message saying "Microsoft Windscreen has detected that the wheels have moved, please reboot your vehicle to continue"

Brings a newer meaning to "My PC crashed"whien your actually inside the bugger.

JJ

6. Not to mention frantically hitting Ctrl-Alt-Del as you head towards the cliff edge...

7. Brings new meaning to the Blue Screen of Death doesn't it!

I'll tell you something... my car/bikes are going to be running some descendent of Linux :LOL:

8. What was it doing with a donkey anyways? :shock:

9. Even robots need a little lovin every now and then Smee :wink:

10. the whole idea that any mechanical device could even approximate the complexity of the human brain is laughable in the extreme. and even if we could design a machine that could think something like the human brain, it still couldn't decide whether to have honey or jam on your toast at breakfast....