Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Think its time to sell my bike

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by Paulie, Nov 10, 2005.

1. Hey guys,

I think I'm gonna sell my bike cause I have a baby girl coming in January and me and the girlfriend are about to buy a place to live (hate the thought of paying someone elses mortgage). I just feel that when the baby comes my riding style will change and I won;t be able to ride like i normally do (throttle on, number plate covered etc) and I sorta think that I'll save alot of cash if i sell the bike to spend on the mortgage...... added to which we are gonna buy a unit which doesn't have a garage just an open car space in north parramatta and I think the bike would get knocked off within a week... I feel so guilty even thinkin of selling the bike :cry:

2. are you looking for comments to talk you out of selling it or are you just letting us know??? Either way best of luck and congrats.

Cheers stewy

3. You've given us all the reasons why you think you should sell, but they're all hypotheticals. What's real is how much you enjoy riding. If you spend your life making decisions on what MIGHT happen you'll end up never getting out of the house.....

4. When I found out recently that my wife was pregnant, I tossed around the idea of stopping riding. but in the end I couldn't do it, I just enjoy it too damn much.

The wife agreed with me as well, she said that she couldn't let me quit cause of how much fun I have.

5. Paulie, think about it...

Your having a baby girl...

So when this lovely daughter of yours grows up and brings home a guy to meet you do you want him thinking your a normal everyday nice ole dad who does things that are sensible and normal???

Or do you want him to think your some big mean boy killing, mo-fo bike riding fool, who wears leather pants and gets away with it without being beaten up, and is obviously so devoid of care for human life that he commutes on a death defying 2 wheeled machine of darkness that tries to chew up and spit out to heaven anyone who chooses to ride it???

I know which sort of father i wouldn't have wanted to hang around too long to meet ;) :LOL: :p

6. oh i see the point your trying to make, get her interested in bike, so she rides too, then she can then meet all the wonderful guys that ride bike :LOL: :roll: :p oh wait thats not your point is it :LOL: :D

7. lol

8. mind you fbf, all the guys here are fine upstanding gentleman :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

9. :LOL: :LOL:

Stop that man i can't hold it in anymore... ROFLMFAO

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

10. so is it the GPX250R in your signature??what sort of money are you ask for it??

11. I have a son.. 18 monts now... and my riding style did not change at all... actualy I got my licence suspended for a mounth 5 days after he was born!! (I was racing to the hospital)... so all I'll say is good luck and congratulations mate... enjoy fatherhood...

Also remember you will NOT have as much TIME to ride especialy the weekend rides... so make the bike your comuter...

12. With my 4mth old, my riding hasent changed either, & why should
    it.. I'm not the one breast feeding :LOL:

But bro, if its bc U could do with the money, then sell up :wink:
    You can always buy another bike when circumstances change

13. I sold my bike 10 years ago when i got married.... it's taken me 10 years to get another one.
    If you hold onto it, you'll always have it.
    If you sell it, you'll always have a long list of things you need for the house/kid/missus BEFORE you ever get the cash to get another one.
    But at the end of the day it's your decision.

BTW in my family I'm the coolest uncle - coz i got a bike :D

14. Yah.. I'll second that... young kids do reduce the amount of time one has to ride, but it doesn't have to mean that your riding has to stop all together!

15. Let's not get ahead of ourselves; this is a GPX250 you're talking about.

What's a GPX250 worth? At a stretch, $4,000.

What's a mortgage on a unit in Parramatta? $300,000?

Are you familiar with the expression "drop in a bucket?"

So buy a better unit, one with a garage. It's not like there's a dearth of units for sale in suburban Sydney.

16. Rubbish!

Every dollar extra you pay on a mortgage helps with interest
    repayment & will reduce lifespan of the loan, whether its $4000
    or $40000

17. when I found out Mrs Wizz was up the duff, there was no thought of selling the bike, in fact we only sold hers when she thought it wasnt a good idea for her to ride any more, and used the money to buy a car, now bubba wizz ia almost 6 months old, and I am still riding the same as i always have, I may not have time for weekend rides, yet, but I ride 30k to work every day on a lovely open country road. Who needs weekends.
    Anyway its your decision.........or is it?

18. With a bike on which to, however momentarily, escape the frustrations of a life in hock, the extra year or so it'll take to pay the mortgage off will scarcely be noticed.

Quality of life has to come into it at some point.

19. OMG I agree with IK!!!

Yes.... anything put on the mortgage will save interest. But whats the point of becoming a slave to your mortgage?

Been there, done that.... bought a bike again after too many decades away, save heaps in fuel, enjoy life more, wife can't believe the improvement in my attitude, she's happier.... etc

Life is more than mortgage and money

do what YOU want to do not what the Gum'nt, economists and banks want you to do. (of course I advise consulting the better half, she deserves some input)

JJ

20. I sold my gun, and bike to buy furniture when we got married.

Kids etc kept me to a cheap gun and small cheap bike until the kids got off my hands.

I think if you are going to commit to a wife and kids, they have to come first.

Look, it will only be 20 yrs max before you can go wild again.
    You will look back and say you did it all properly. You'll have a big smile as well.