Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Think I wrecked my chain....

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by MeltingDOg, Sep 13, 2012.

1. So in a follow up to my other thread (Play in chain) I think I some how made things worse (or maybe it already was).

So there was significant play in the chain. I tightened it up and went for a ride around the block and hear a creaking noise. Stop, get the bike up on jack and by spinning the rear wheel see that the creaking is caused by a few links not sliding into the teeth properly. I decided the chain may be too tight and losen it up again, repeating the experiment with the bike on the jack. Still creaking. Loosen it up a bit more and spray the area with WD40 - I even massage it in making sure each link is flexing nicely. Still creaking and I can even see the links struggling to slide into place.

Well, its pretty much a guarantee Im up for a new chain. But would anyone know how this could have happened? Did I make the chain too tight the first time round and ruin it during my test ride? Need tips to avoid in the future!

Any advice is appreciated!

2. Worn out hooked sprockets, possibly.
  3. The creaking will be caused by links that have seized.

Replace the chain, replace the sprockets, and next time pay more attention to keeping the chain tension right (in addition to keeping it clean and lubed of course)
  4. Thanks but dont think it is the sprocket - it occurs at the same part of the chain but different parts of the sprocket. Actually, the sprockets arnt in such bad shape
  5. sounds like the chain is rooted..the best way to go is replace the chain and sprockets,if you think the sprocket is not to bad ,,,,REPLACE THEM ANYWAY,,,if your getting a bike shop to do the work tell them to regrease the wheel bearing when they have the back wheel of , have you looked at the front sprocket??? do you know what a worn sprocket looks like ??from reading you post i think you dont know what a worn sprocket looks like ,,,there is more to owning and rideing a motor bike than pushing in the start button and going ,,
  6. OP, do you have any pics?

By the way, when you replace the chain, you should replace the sprockets as well. When you do that, look after your chain to delay this inconvenience next time.
  7. Yeah I think your right in that I ought to do both. At risk of sounding more of a noob are the sprockets something I could do myself (moneys a bit tight at the moment).
  8. I dont know the answer to the question asked.. i just wanted to pass on my condolences about your mom.. :p :rofl:
  9. oh crap....:facepalm: spose its better then being too loose!
    • Like Like x 1
  10. do you have a work shop manual for your bike ???? do you have tools to do the job ???? have you ever removed the rear wheel and replaced it ??? , have you ever looked at the front sprocket ??? do you have a chain breaker ?? get on the phone and start calling bike shops for price of parts and labour ..
  11. Get a workshop manual and some tools.Learning how to work on your bike should start with something relatively basic as this.Got any mates that know their way around bikes,ask them for a bit of a hand if your not sure.
  12. Yes, yes, no, yes, yes. Still I will call the shops - it is probably not worth my safety
  13. 8-[ Ummm,.... you dont adjust your chain with the back wheel off the ground on a jack do you...???
    put it on the sidestand to adjust...winding back the adjusters

are your alignment marks 'spot on'?? could your wheel be out of alignment?

Just a thought

14. Your call mate, its quite a bit cheaper to do it yourself if you have the tools already. I did my first one less than a week ago and you probably have more experince starting off than me...............its not too difficult but can be a bit fiddly especially when bolts is stuck on tight.

I did mine partly because I dont trust apprentice mechanics to put my bike together properly.........my bike has some bolts missing after visiting the mechanics, not only that but they charged me for stuff they didnt even do.

Just get a knowledgable friend who could watch over you or research through youtube and the forums...................the manual should also be a good source of info.
  15. Geez, someone got kicked out the wrong side of the bed this morning!!
  16. Given your responses above, if you have more mechanical ability than a goldfish you should be fine. Its not rocket science, you just have to make sure things are done up properly (correct torque etc) and the wheel is aligned (don't necessarily trust the marks on the swingarm). Google is your friend, common sense rules. Go for it.
  17. I thought you weren't supposed to use wd40 on bike chains....
    • Like Like x 1
  18. nope, im pretty sure it eats through the rubber rings.............a big no no.
  19. It won't eat rubber, but it will make it swell if you leave it soaking in it. Biggest danger is therefore that the WD40 will sneak past the rubber seals and displace the grease that's packed in behind it (and WD40 is nowhere near as effective as a lubricant).
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Adjust chain on side stand? Why is this? I've used a paddock stand so far. (I've only adjusted chain slack once, on my old chain, and removed a rear wheel once to see how it was done)

Is it a suspension being compressed issue? I try to get the paddock stand picking the bike up from near the rear wheel spindle. And then I check the tension with the bike on the ground, off the paddock stand. It doesn't seem to affect the chain slack that much.