Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Think I may have screwed up?

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by Flavouredbread, Oct 7, 2015.

  1. Fourteen days ago I bought my first bike ever, having wanted one for years.
    A friend of mine spotted a bike on a selling forum, a 2008 Ninja250 for $2.2k.

    Knowing pretty much nothing about how to be an adult, much less motorbikes (I want one for work, cheaper than a car), I got my mate to come along and make the purchase with me.

    Now that its coming up to the day to hand the forms over to Vicroads to say I bought this bike I'm realizing I never got a RWC, and that its not listed on the forms although rego till Jan is.

    Basically I'm asking is how much I screwed up, what can I do how much, and its gonna cost me?
  2. Depends on the condition. No you didn't really screw up, but you've taken the risk upon yourself that it will pass roadworthy.
    $2.2k sounds pretty cheap for an '08 (I'd be weary something wasn't quite right) but I know nothing else about the bike so we'll skip over that element.

    Nevertheless, yes you will need a RWC to transfer ownership. Many bike repair shops do it (~$100) if you weren't supplied one from the seller.
    Then, the inspector will go over these things: Get a Certificate of Roadworthiness : VicRoads
    • wheels and tyres
    • steering, suspensions and braking systems
    • seats and seatbelts
    • lights and reflectors
    • windscreen
    • vehicle structure
    • other safety related items on the body, chassis or engine.
    Any any minimums that the bike doesn't meet, you'll have to pay the mechanic (or do it yourself) to bring it up to standard.

    There's no way of knowing for sure what the total cost will be until you get it done. Even if it ends up costing a few hundred to get it over the line, as long as the bike is sound otherwise, that's still not a bad outlay.

    Have a look here before your next purchase Used Motorcycle Buying and Evaluation Guide | Netrider - Australia's Best Motorcycle Community
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. Thanks mate, I was worried about having to pay a significant amount of money but that seems far more manageable, guess I couldn't read the vic roads stuff clearly.
  4. That's a great price for an '08 250. Presuming it hasn't got too much (if anything) wrong with it to get to roadworthy standard, you've done a good deal.

    Welcome to world of motorbike riding.
  5. I thought you couldn't sell a vehicle in Victoria without a RWC?
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. The onus is on the seller to provide one, that is the rule. However, lots of people sell cars / bikes without one and leave it to the buyer to obtain. Not the best idea, as the seller then assumes a bit of risk that the buyer will obtain the rwc and convert ownership and not run up speeding fines..
  7. You're not allowed to. You're also not allowed to travel at 200kph on public roads...

    And if you try to fight the fines by saying it was the bloke you sold the bike to, there's a risk they'll pick up on the absence of a RWC, landing you with an offence all of your own :p.
  8. Not the end of the world if there isn't too much wrong with the bike mate. The only problem is that you aren't really sure how much more you will be up for at the moment, because it's all going to depend on what needs fixing to pass the rwc.

    Another thing to be aware of before purchasing is whether or not the bike isn't under finance or stolen. Did you do the appropriate checks?
    • Agree Agree x 3
  9. Yeah I checked both on vicroads and on ppsr and everything seems fine and dandy!
    • Like Like x 1
  10. No that's incorrect, you can sell a vehicle withour RWC in VIC, but you have to sell is unregistered. You can't sell it as registered (i.e transfer the rego) with no RWC. So if you purchase an unregistered vehicle you'll have to register it yourself from scratch and that would mean buyer would be responsible for getting RWC.

    Oh and I think you'll find OP that RWC will put you back $150 rather than $100. I wish you well and hope they don't find too much wrong as it can add up ...
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. I was correct if one assumes the vehicle is registered :p. But you're quite right; unregistered vehicles do not need to be roadworthy (and therefore do not need certification of it).
  12. We're in furious agreement then! Lets go have a beer...
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Ah but it still has rego on it?
  14. The stuff about unregistered bikes is tangential to the information you need. Your seller did indeed do a no-no :). It shouldn't be too big a deal to right it, and if you discover it'll cost an arm and a leg to get it roadworthy you might be able to negotiate a refund because of it ("If you give me my money back, I'll have no reason to dob you in, or thoroughly check the calibration on a speed camera...".
  15. if it is being sold as unregistered, the seller will have to cancel the Rego and can get a refund. if it being sold as registered the seller has to provide a rwc for you to be able to transfer the Rego. The Transfer of registration form cannot be processed without a valid rwc attached.
  16. Yeah alright thanks for the help everyone. See how much its gonna run me ahaha
  17. Im selling a registered bike now. Getting a RWC and finding a buyer in 30 days is a huge pain.
  18. Mate find a buyer first, then get RWC done for them and they can come pick up the bike. That's the normal practice.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  19. Yeah thats what im doing but i thought id upset the buyer to make them wait
  20. It's common practice to do the RWC after inspection. If they want the bike then they'll understand having to wait a couple days.