Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Think battery lost charge, how to charge it?

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by kb1200, Jul 1, 2016.

1. Hey so I haven't ridden in a while and since it is freezing here in Melbourne my bike won't start. I'm pretty sure it's the battery as when I tried to start it, it was turning over like normal without starting, and then the turning over sound just got weaker and weaker until it just makes a little click. Battery was replaced last year and I've never had this problem before as I usually ride regularly.

Not sure if I can use a trickle charger as it's an apartment complex uncovered and its non-stop raining, plus I don't even have one. Not too sure what to do? Do I need a jump? If so does anyone wanna jump me? Not too sure I want to pay the 80 bucks roadside assist companies ask for but I'm out of ideas.
  2. Sorry I can't jump start you personally (ten hour drive away) but it's quite possible to do if you're careful where you put your clamps and don't short anything. Otherwise you could take the battery out of the bike and put it on a charger in your laundry. Make sure to sit it on an old plastic plate or something with a little bicarb soda sprinkled on it in case it vents acid.
    Always disconnect the ground (-ve) side first and reconnect it last.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Assuming that the bike is charging properly, you may not need a charger (especially if it's impractical to use one). A good long ride will do the job for you.
    Can you get someone to give you a push start? Second gear, drop the clutch - it's only a little motor, it might work.
    if you don't ride the bike regularly, maybe what you need is one of those mini jump starter kits with a lithium (or similar) battery to get you going in situations like this.
    A trickle charger would be better, but as you say it doesn't sound practical in your circumstances.
    Oh, and people probably need to know the locality to see if they are near you to help.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. You can remove the battery and take it up inside to charge, a cheap charger will do you if you limit the time to charge the battery.

But I would go Titus' suggestion and bump start it.

If the bike is uncovered, considering the rain we have had you may have water in where it shouldn't be. A spray with some water displacement spray such as WD40 around spark plugs HT coils etc may help to get it going. But try bump start first, then charge and spray. Good Luck. As you are in St Kilda the Saturday Morning practice crew may be able to spare some time to help you Saturday morning.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. The bike has had a bike cover on even though it's outside, unless it was a condensation issue. That's a really good idea about the St Kilda practice crew, I rode with them a while ago. I'll post in the thread asking if they can help. If not I'll take a picture of the battery to get some possible help with removing it as it looks a bit confusing to me.
  6. I replied in Sat thread
  7. van der graaf generator
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. Doug agreed to come over to see if we could get better contact. We rang but no answer.
  9. If it is a lead acid battery, 99.9999% chance it is, DO NOT LEAVE IT DISCHARGED. It will ruin the battery if you do. Taking it out and charging it inside your residence is probably the best option. If it is a "sealed" battery, it is more critical of chargers than the older types (removable caps). Jump starting from a car is an option, as is clutch starting, but please get some charge in to it ASAP.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. If you don't have a charger and don't want to buy one I suspect jump starting from a car is going to be best option.
    You are also more likely to find someone with a car with jumper leads than push start it given it doesn't want to roll freely either. When you do get it going take it for a good run before stopping. Do not turn off until you get home just in case. You don't want to be stranded away from home.

And put some air in the tyres.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. I tried calling back a few times but you didn't pick up?

Anyway, I took the battery to get charged at the mechanics. Got the battery back the next day, put the battery back in, made sure everything was the same way when I took it out and I'm getting the same problem. I don't think it is the battery. I'm getting normal headlights still, horn works fine, connections look good, no corrosion or anything.

Not too sure what to do at this point, can't really afford to get it towed plus pay the mechanics to take a look at it as I just paid the rego for the thing. Chances are it's something obvious but I really don't know much about this kind of thing and I'm pretty confused.

If anyone has any other suggestions of things to look for it would be help a lot.
  12. Is there fuel in it, with the tap turned on? Are the plug caps properly seated on the plugs? Is the kill switch on?
  13. yep, if it's not electrical then it's fuel. do you have petrol in the tank?
  14. turning over slower can occur if the power wire to the starter is crap and heats up while trying to start (increasing resistance and slowing speed of turning over)
  15. It's electrical. The starter relay was simply clicking but not turning. If it's still doing that and the battery is charged it ain't the battery.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Yeah seems to be something that really needs a look into. I've bit the bullet and am getting the bike picked up and taken to Bike Dock, they worked on the thing back when they were still Intyre and did a great job. My bike has been to that place more times than I can count, I just need it get me through the end of the year though.

I'll let you guys know what the diagnosis is and we can get this mystery solved once and for all!
    • Like Like x 1
  17. So I just got a call from the shop. The problem is the starter solenoid is pretty much broken, and also my rear brakes are seized up which is why it was so hard to try and push start. While it's there I'm also gonna get my seat reupholstered, that thing was a mess.

Anyway thanks for everyone that tried to give me a hand. Lesson learned, I need to ride more.
    • Like Like x 2
  18. Glad you sorted it. Hope it doesn't cost too much to sort.

I things like bearings and brakes don't roll now and then they will seize so make sure you get about and about reasonably often.