Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Things to make me stop and think ..

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Melbgirl, Oct 27, 2008.

1. Saturday was an awesome day and instead of doing the housework, I decided to get on the bike and head out for a ride. Stupid me forgot to pick up some cash before I headed out the door so after 20 minutes realised that a really long ride was out of the question as I only had about 80kms before I would hit reserve.

Still, I went up through Ringwood, Montrose, Olinda and back down the hill, through Lysterfield, Narre Warren and back home.

As I came around the last bend on the hill to get onto FTG Road, I saw a couple of cars ... a smashed bike ... and a motorcyclist laying on the road, helmet still on, not moving, lots of panicked faces.

I really hope that he is OK.

I am a cautious rider anyway, being new on the bike (only had L's for 3 and a bit months) and knowing that I can't afford to replace my beautiful bike, but I noticed that all the way home I was way more cautious than usual. Double and triple head checks ... sitting right out of the way of cars and I probably didn't even do the speed limit in the 100km zones.

Then I see a number of riders on their beautiful bikes ... in shorts and t-shirts and thongs and straight away my mind flashed to the current TAC motorbike ads about wearing the correct gear.

The poor bloke lying on the side of the road had full protective clothing on .. yet these other nuffers are riding around like they are impervious to accidents.

So a couple of things made me stop and think that day

1. No matter how hot I was in my jacket and boots on Saturday, I will always wear them as a minimum

2. Every rider is capable of having an accident .. no matter how much experience I THINK I am getting, my motto will be to 'err on the side of caution rather than pushing my limits'.
  2. Keep thinking that way, You'll stand a better chance out there :)
  3. Feel free to be cautious...that's important. :)

Just don't get too timid...part of riding a bike is "attitude"...you have to take up space, run with the traffic at the prevailing speeds, and "be in charge" of what's going on around you.

It's fair to be a little unnerved by seeing the accident, but rather than withdraw, throw your chest out, get a little attitide, and make sure it does'nt happen to you, by your pro-action, rather than in-action...
    know what I mean.. :wink: :)

4. Double headchecks can be a good thing :) I tend to glance at my mirror, headcheck, make sure no one in front of is braking or moving into the lane I plan to, final headcheck and move. Sounds a bit long winded but doesn't take long.

Good to see that you are actually thinking about riding, there is always something to learn.
  5. I'm with you on that. The other one I like is 'ride to survive'.
  6. Sorry to pick you post apart but recently i have stated to question myself what i consider dangerous, and yes i can see it from both sides.

Geez, isn't it great to be a new rider and know just how much ability every other rider has, sorry but i used to agree with you on this (and yes i have been/seen biker accidents). Simply put when i first started riding i use to think some things bikers did were stupid and dangerous, the more i learn about riding, the less i find i actually know.

Sure the correct gear does help on a off, no debate there, but it's about choosing a time and a place, and also the type/style of riding you are planing on doing and yes you never know when you are going to come off (all completely agree), but those older riders all have a far better chance of getting out of a tricky situation and generally reading the situation before it turns into a bad situation, don't believe me go read the newbie rider offs, always lots of good points from riders who have been doing it for a while, and things they would/could of done to avoid the situation.

Cheers stewy
  7. Well, not sure what you mean by time and place in relation to protective gear - maybe I'm misunderstanding.

In any case I reckon it would take one serious crash to convince any of these people to wear their gear all the time.

Had a look at some stuff on youtube recently. Some poor guys degloved food was enough to convince me.
  8. You're right Stewy ... I shouldn't have called them 'nuffers'. Not my place to judge so my apologies to anybody out there that I may have offended with that comment :) :)
  9. There is only one law that cannot be broken.

The law of physics.

Luck, skill, experience etc all count for nothing when you're sliding down the road with the bitumen grinding off your bare flesh. That's what bitumen does to skin.

Mind you, I don't give a toss for what people do or don't wear when they are out riding. It's their skin not mine.
  10. Well, you can't always pick when you come off, but you can dress for the event.

My opinion may not be shared, but I think dressing according to your skills and experience is false economy. Sure, you may have the experience and skills to avoid other traffic, but it doesn't guarantee that a guy behind the wheel has the experience and skill to stop from colliding into you. Whilst I have great faith in mankind, I don't have enough to potentially trust my life to someone I don't know on the road, just for a more comfortable ride.

In a way, sad events like the off in the OP are sometimes good for us. It's good to stop and think every once in a while and reevaluate how we're riding.
  11. Good post there Stewy. My gear ranges from total gear coverage to a shorty helmet and shirt for just cruisin' down to Brunswick street. A few times learners have been like "You fool!", and I subtley cough something about not having an off in a decade riding...the implication being rather along the lines of "Get a lot of riding in and come back to me on that!" (Of course there are many opinionated experienced riders!)

Hey Melbgirl, I've always find a spot on my bikes to keep some cash stored - you never know when you'll need it!
  12. Reminds me about something my son said a few weeks ago , and that was "Wouldn't it be funny if dad was to go for a ride with his shorts on."

Then my daughter quickly replied that dad would never go any where without having the proper clothes on , and she is exactly right on that.

Even if I have just changed the oil , and want to go for a lap around the street , I will put on draggin pants, boots, and a jacket.

Each to there own on what they wear , I just prefer to feel that little bit safer, even if its only a 5 minute ride.
  13. I have a dirty secret to admit. A handful of times I've gone for a quick ride and have felt like wearing a hoodie. Because I think it looks cool riding a bike with a hoodie.
    So I go for a ride with a hoodie on... but secretly I wear my leather jacket underneath.

Am I going to hell? :oops:
  14. I share your thoughts and comment Melbgirl. I always wear J&B and gloves. Skin on road surface = misery and pain +++.

Raven is right tho' don't become timid to the point that you're afraid of going out on your bike. Yes, you'll have to develop your own "attitude" and yes you'll have to push your limits as you gain more experience and confidence so you can pre-empt and avoid potential situations. I've found I've developed a sixth sense when I ride ... if I'm feeling uncomfortable (for whatever reason) I'll do a head check and check my mirrors. It happened the other day when I had a car cut in on me, when the car was level with me for some reason I braked, just as well I did because he was towing a trailer and I would have ended up in the trailer.

Enjoy your riding ...

15. If they blow a tyre in a corner whilst moving at speed, and they go down for a slide then their skin will be sandpapered off.
    I boil in summer with the leather on but its better than a long long stay in hospital.
    No need to apologize for them.
  16. Saw very upmarket safety gear on a rider the other day ... T-shirt, Shorts and (get this) lime green crocs!!! Oh yes, it was wearing a helmet. Don't think helmet was to protect the brain maybe his good looks??? Pardon my sarcasm.
  17. Couple of weeks ago noticed a rider that was wearing full leathers ,good choice , but the pillion passenger was only wearing thongs, shorts , and a singlet. Pillion was actually carrying a leather jacket on the lap.
    At the time , I thought there should be a law, silmilar to driving a car with passengers that don't have seat belts on, where you would have similar responsibilitys such that you make sure your pillion has the correct gear on.
  18. We should get ACA or Today Tonight to do a story on these squids. They could raise that point about introducing a law against them, interview a couple on the street (rile them up before filming) asking why they're so stupid about this, interview some of us so we can say what idiots squids are and how "There should be a law!", and then go on to talk about how much it is costing "You, the tax payer", for their little games.
  19. Let's not leave it there - what about those crazy guys out there in black / dark coloured gear. Seriously - we need to make ourselves as visible as humanly possible - hi-vis vests / pants all round I say.