Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Things that come back to haunt you

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by Spin, Sep 26, 2007.

1. Well you don’t know when something will come back to haunt you.

In 1997 I sold an 82 XR250 to a mate and didn’t think any more of it. Yesterday I received a Toll Notice :shock: . Apparently a bike with the number plate off my old XR didn’t pay their toll on the
    M4 on the 3 Sep 2007 at 9.44am.

I sold the bike in 1997, my mate didn’t register it again and I didn’t present a notice of disposal to the RTA so it stayed in my name and I hadn't realised. He then sold the bike in 1998. I thought that it would have been scraped by now and hadn’t even though about the rego again.

I don’t know where the plate has been or where it is now. I was going to just pay the fee $12.20 just to save the hassle but though I would check with the local police first. They said that if it was on a stolen bike I was admitting that I knew where it was or was part of the theft by paying.
    So this afternoon I spent filling in the statutory declaration saying I wasn’t the owner any more, and sorting things out with the RTA.

So if you see a bike with YIG-53 on the back, give them a mouthful from me :evil: :evil: :evil: . All this hassle for a XR250 that I sold in 1997...........

2. Good reason to stay on top of the paperwork. Ten years later is a spin out though!

3. I can't believe an XR-250 has lasted 10 years and is still roadable :shock: !!

4. It did make me a bit dizzy when I realised it was for real :)

It was barely roadable when I had it, so you can imagine the shock. I had to ring the RTA to find out what the rego belonged to.

5. More than likely the plate has been moved to a different bike. Can commit any camera offence the offender likes that way.

6. Huh? Seriously huh?

I'd say that 90% the XL's are still getting about let alone the XR's.

7. Thats what I was thinking. Thats why I rang the Police to get some advice. Otherwise I would have paid the fine to save the hassle of fighting it. Then sorted the RTA. But the cop I spoke to said it would not be a good idea just incase it was on a stolen bike.