Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Things I learnt on Sunday's learner ride ...

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Rybky, May 26, 2008.

1. So, the learner ride around the Southern Highlands on Sunday was my first long ride, the first time at freeway speed and the first time around twisties - a few things learnt as you can image!

1. My bike goes pretty well! (of course I kept to 80kph officer)

2. I am much more confident on my bike, very noticeable on my way to work this morning. The ride gave me a chance to take corners at a higher speed than my daily commute could ever allow and leaning more still feels safe.

3. My ears hurt - I have no other helmet experience to compare to but my Nolan seems to be VERY noisy at 80+. I can now see why people wear earplugs.

4. The seat is uncomfortable - after about an hour in the saddle I was getting very uncomfortable as some people following me may have noticed! A lot of fidgeting around trying to a get comfy position.

The final learning for me was the most disappointing. I started riding out of necessity rather than desire, where we live there is only 1 car space and having had a kid last year my wife was feeling a bit stranded when I took the car to work everyday. Ever since I can remember I was into cars, never had an interest in bikes at all, before moving to Aus I was starting to get into performance cars and had a Honda S2000 which I sadly had to sell to come here.

However, having started riding I actually felt like I was starting to enjoy it, so I was hoping that it would continue to grow and me and that it would become something I would have a real interest in. The feeling I had while riding was somewhat similar to driving the S (which to those who don't know is a pure rear wheel drive two seater roadster with no electronic driver aids), there was a sense of danger and the need to really know how the machine works and how to control it. An adrenalin rush.

Two things on Sunday told me that bikes are really not my passion, the first was going up Mac pass, instead of thinking "wow, this is really cool going around these twisties on a bike!" I was actually thinking "wow, this would be so much more fun in an S2000!" - not a good sign. Then at the end of the day I got home feeling exhausted and all I could remember was how noisy and uncomfortable it was.

At the moment I feel like I will just use the bike for commuting until we move to a place with more parking and we have the money to buy a second car, then the bike will go.

Am I being too quick to judge here? Anyone else been through the same experience?

Is my lack of enjoyment related to the bike I have? Maybe on a sportsbike I would get more of a buzz?

I would still like to try the bike off-road at some point, maybe it will be more at home and will be more of a challenge. I don't know.

I am very down about it at the moment.

2. Well, with regards to noise and comfort...

Earplugs! Necessity, IMHO, as most helmets are loud enough to do damage to your hearing at 100kph - even BMW's quiet helmets, which are among the quietest available, are about 85dB on a naked bike @100kph.

As for being sore, uncomfortable, tired... A lot of that comes from practice. On my VTR250 I started out stiff and sore from a 150k ride through the twisties but with regular twisty-road practice I ended up being able to hustle the luggage-loaded VTR through 400km of twisties without much discomfort at all.

Twisty-road bike hustling seems to take a totally different set of muscles to anything else, so it takes a bit of training/practice.
  3. You are comparing a sports car to an adventurer tourer.
    One is made specifically for eating twisty roads and the other is the two wheeled equivalent of a Light 4WD. And you wonder why the bike wasn’t as exciting?
    Now I love light 4WDs but they aren’t sports cars.
  4. But the ads say they are......;)
  5. I think that might be spot on. That did cross my mind which is why I wondered if going off road with it, where it would be more at home, could be more exciting? I guess I will just have to try it.

Regarding a light 4WD drive not being a sportscar, hmm, I have an X-Trail and I seem to have the same issue with that, hence I have a full sports exhaust and sports suspension on it!! :LOL:

6. Well, on the upside if you do stick with motorcycling, there are plenty of offroad-looking bikes biased heavily to road use with sporty-ish suspension. ;)

Ducati's Multistrada, Triumph's Tiger 1050, BMW's big GS, Suzuki's V-strom...
    ... or one of those insane little supermotos. :grin:
  7. If you don't dig it, you don't dig it. I can honestly say I've enjoyed every one of the many bikes I've ridden far more than any of the cars I've driven. Even the most boring, conservative bike, a postie or a tourer, shits all over "performance" cars. It's about being at one with the road, out in the elements, physically involved with your machine.

If you don't get it - immeditately, don't go pushing it. If you have to go searching for it it's not a passion. And if it's not for the passion, I don't know why you'd bother going and risking all that you're risking getting good in the twisties.
  8. I was talking bout light 4WDs not plastic 4WDs. Who builds a 4WD that is FWD when it is in 2WD? Only Nissan.
    And do they even have low range?
  9. :rofl:

Hey, it is only the front wings that are plastic!! (of the bodywork anyway) :)

It would be good if it was RWD in 2WD mode but mine sits in auto 4WD all the time anyway.
  10. Sound advice Loz, thanks.
  11. I will point out that the first time I got a bike was for practical purposes, I had no interest in them and was scared silly of the damned things.
    18 months later when I gave up riding because I couldn’t afford to maintain a car and a bike while a student, I really didn’t want to give it up.
    I have been hanging to get back on a bike ever since.
    Spend some more time in the saddle and you may find that riding has more for you than you can currently see.
  12. Interestingly, I also started out riding as a solution to expensive commuting woes. I'm hooked completely now - and I've always thought that the trip to work was so much more enjoyable on a bike - "fun" rather than "chore".
  13. How long did it take before you felt hooked? Maybe I am expecting too much too soon.
  14. Other folks' experiences have nothing to do with you in this regard.

I don't get cars - so I stay away from them. I don't get dressing up in women's jocks, getting belted with sticks, flashing my willy at schoolboys or making model train sets in the attic, so I don't bother with them. Much.

Other people do, so they follow their passions. F*ck what other peoples' passions are, follow your own heart. There's plenty of folk who commute around on bikes and enjoy the practical side of it, there's no shame in that.

You can safely disregard everyone else's advice when it comes to what pushes YOUR buttons.
  15. You are learning to ride, you have an un-exciting bike (my opinion so put the flame thrower away) for doing what you are passionate about in your car - going fast and cornering hard.

That bike is a great commuter and light duty duel purpose tourer, it was never in its design brief to be a corner carving high speed road bike, which you are comparing to a car that has some "performance" built into its design brief.

You have many more years experience driving than you do riding, therefore would feel much more comfortable in driving fast on tight roads, where with the bike you are uncertain as to what it will do, and how far you can push it, as you haven't yet learned what it will do or how to get it to do it.

I think once you become more familiar with the bike and it's abilities on open road runs, or good dirt roads you will begin to experience more excitement, and as someone who has had their fair share of performance cars and driven very quickly through traffic and red lights etc, I feel more excited on my bikes than I ever have in a car, and believe that if you let the skills and experience develop, you just might be excited more by the bike too.
  16. Take a proper sports bike for a spin before you give up on riding.
    I've owned and driven a few proper sports car and although they are fun and comfortable all I can think about when driving now is "if I was on my bike I would be there by now", sure I miss my subwoofer and neons but the freedom of a bike is AWESOME.

On a side note, riceing up a FWD does not make it a 4wd, sorry, I can't stand those x-trails, even in 4wd it will jump back to fwd over 40km/h, thats if you haven't burnt the gearbox out already...
  17. Incorrect. Yes in Lock (50/50 split 4WD) it will revert to 2WD over 40km/h but in Auto it will be FWD unless it determines that grip is being lost then it will split power to the rear as required. The X-Trail electronic 4WD system was developed from that used on the Skyline.

Anyway, this is a bike forum, back to bikes ...

18. Having had a Vitara Crossed up on gravel at over 80kph the idea of loosing 4WD over 40kph is just abhorrent. Why even have 4WD And as for the words “As required†Can you imagine trying to control a powerslide with the rears kicking in and out at the whim of a computer???
    Screw that for an exceedingly dangerous joke.
    Give me a gearbox and control of my transmission any day.

As for motorbikes, if commuting is what they mean for you right now, then commute, and if you never get the buzz then such is life. But one day you may find yourself thinking hmmm… That piece of road would rock on two wheels…
  19. I got a CB250 to learn to ride on and as a cheap commuter and while it was a great introduction to bikes I soon found it lacking in power and comfort.
    I drive a late model Subaru Outbackwhich is very comfortable and pretty quick and have had sportier cars in the past.
    A few weeks ago I traded the CB in for a GS500 and although it's not exactly sporty it's MUCH more fun and more practical than the CB and gives me a bit of a buzz even going to work.
    I reckon if you are in your teens/early 20's and have less experience with cars then any bike is a bit of a blast but as you and I are not we need something a bit sportier to make it worthwhile. :grin:
  20. Funny, I don't find the seat uncomfortable and I managed to clock up 235ks on the weekend. As for the twisties, I'm having a ball on the KLE. Saying that, this is my first bike :grin:

I know it's clichéd, but one day things will fall into place and much fun will ensue.

I've already discovered how fast the KLE can take off from the lights :wink: