Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Thermometer for water.

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by L0Ki, Nov 17, 2008.

1. Hey Guys.

Looking to find out where i can buy (not online) a thermometer that will read to over 100C and can be used in water. Doesnt matter if its digital or what not.

Reason i ask is i want to test my thermostat and what temp it opens at.

Thanks for any tips
  2. Repco / Supercheap Auto will have temp gauges.

How accurate do you need it to be?
  3. In my experience with thermostats, they either work or they don't with nothing much in between. All you need to test that is boiling water (which you can reckon to be within a smidge of 100 degrees C.

Actually, thinking about it, unless you live significantly below sea level, you won't read over 100 degrees in water at atmospheric pressure anyway.

If you want to read temps over 100 degrees, I'd reckon a cheapo oven thermometer like wot you stick in turkeys etc should be amply accurate. For a bit more sophistication, you used to be able to get mercury thermometers for jam making that would read to over 100 ('cos sugar solutions boil higher than water). Dunno if you still can, but try a good kitchen shop.

Otherwise, look up laboratory supplies in the yellow pages.

Id reiterate though, I'm sceptical of the need for accurate temperature measurement to diagnose a thermostat problem. Taking it out and dropping it in a pan of boiling water to see if it opens has been good enough for generations of backyard mechanics :wink: .
  4. A lot of digital multimeters (if you have one) will accept a K-type thermocouple, and can then be used for checking temps... low cost option, but not sure of accuracy...
  5. Should be spot on, unless the meter's a piece of crap.

But I agree with the above suggestions. Drop it in water and boil it up. If it fails to open it's Wallaby Ted.
  6. From memory alot operate above 100C so boiling water will not work.

Are you trying to check the thermocouple to test your fan?
  7. I'd be awfully surprised if any thermostat on a road vehicle did not open, at least partially, below 100 degrees.

However, if you do need more, try sticking it in the deep fat fryer instead. I would advise changing the oil afterwards though, to avoid those awkward domestic moments when the chips taste of Tectalloy's finest :grin: .

If that won't open it, it's certainly borked.
  8. http://www.lasertools.com.au/category324_1.htm
    Something like this (can get heaps cheaper ones from DSE or similar), which measures surface temperature, will be what you need.
    Not only are they good for reading temps, they can help to identify blockages in your cooling system. I use one for work, priceless.
  9. Yep, spend a coupla hundred bux to see if a $20 part is rooted...
  10. It's an invaluable tool.
  11. In 25years since finishing my apprenticeship i have never used a thermometer to see the temp a thermostat is opening at, most thermo's are set anywhere between 70-95degs [ usually stamped on the seating flange ] the set temp being the fully open temp.

If you slowly bring the water to boil using the stove or other means .... we use a old coffee tin and oxy in the field :twisted:
    You can see when it starts to open well before boiling, if the waters boiling and its fully open, is a good indication that is working. You can also see how fast it opens by dropping it back into boiling water once its closed up again... use some wire to fish the open one out of the water ..... boiling water = hot :LOL:

But as said for the sake of $20 if in dought just replace it.
    Those laser tools are a must these days in the trade, esp on heavy plant to find 'hot spots' in radiators [ blockages ] and checking Hyd temps over the system, some pumps run hot enough to fry an egg on :wink:
  12. Yes, I know. We use Rayteks at work. But for someone trying to work out if the thermostat on his bike is buggered...
  13. $14 at dick smith.

You can use it for brewing and cheese making too. Up to 250 degrees C
  14. Have to check that 14$ DS one out. Is it the laser pointer type? or just ur standard thermometer?
  15. In my experience with the cheap ones from DSE, they are just as accurate as the expensive, more robust ones, just they dont survive in a hostile environment.
    Like I said, cheap ones at DSE, and you will find a gazillion uses for one if you get one.
  16. I do it the same way as Bob. Works for me.
  17. Dunno what the $14 one is. DSE's website shows two IR thermometers similar to the Rayteks. One is $99, the other $49.

I s'pose that they'd be a handy gadget for around the home or workshop if you could find a use for one. But to buy one to check a thermostat out?