Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

"There's probably no God"

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Morbo28, Oct 22, 2008.

1. Dawkins is a a bit of a dick - too extreme so it makes it easy for people to dismiss him. Still, this gave me a chuckle:

No God on our bus side
    Martin Beckford, London
    October 22, 2008
    BUSES emblazoned with advertisements declaring "there's probably no God" will soon be travelling through the streets of London after prominent atheist Richard Dawkins agreed to help pay for them.

Campaigners say the messages will provide a "reassuring" antidote to religious ads that "threaten eternal damnation" to passengers. The routes on which the atheist ads could be placed have not yet been fixed, but they would travel through the central London borough of Westminster and so could pass close to Westminster Abbey.

Professor Dawkins, Oxford University's professor of the public understanding of science, said: "Religion is accustomed to getting a free ride — automatic tax breaks, unearned 'respect' and the right not to be 'offended', the right to brainwash children. Even on the buses, nobody thinks twice when they see a religious slogan plastered across the side.

"This campaign to put alternative slogans on London buses will make people think — and thinking is anathema to religion."

The ad campaign, which could be displayed on as many as 60 buses for a month if just £11,000 ($A27,300) is raised, was triggered by a blog posting.

Its funding has been boosted by the financial support of Professor Dawkins, the author of The God Delusion and a vocal critic of the power of religion over public life.

The evolutionary biologist has agreed to match all donations up to a maximum of £5500 — the amount needed for advertisements on one set of buses.

This means the campaigners will only need to gain £2750 from supporters.

Those behind the project are confident they will raise enough money to pay for two sets of 30 bendy buses to travel through the capital in January bearing the atheist slogan: "There's probably no God. Now stop worrying and enjoy your life."

When the ads were proposed in June, 877 people pledged they would each give £5 to the cause.

The British Humanist Association will handle the donations. Chief executive Hanne Stinson said: "We see so many posters advertising salvation through Jesus or threatening us with eternal damnation that I feel sure an advert like this will be welcomed as a breath of fresh air."

Comedy writer Ariane Sherine began the campaign after writing a blog article about Christian ads on buses, suggested atheists should pay for a "reassuring counter-advert".

2. I'm all for a bit of controversy, hope it happens.
  3. He's in for a rude shock, then, isn't he?
  4. What a waste of money that could have been put to a good charitable cause.
    But that would be a foolish notion, cosidering his evolutionary beliefs and survival of the fittest mindset, charity goes right against improvement of the species.

(I wonder if Dawkins secretly flies a little swastika at home somewhere?)

5. Hahahahahhaha.

11000 quid vs the money that the church chucks around furthering their cause!!

But anyway, just because Dawkins can be a dick, doesnt stop him from being right.
  6. Or having his own views and paying to share those views to reassure the other 'heathens who are going to hell' for not believing. I'd call that a community service!
  7. how is this advert any different from a church putting an advert up
  8. it isn't supposed to be
  9. And why is it more of a waste of money than the adverts put up by various religions? In fact, to be consistent being an athiest is a matter of belief - believing ther is no god is as much a matter of belief as believing there is one. So in fact an association of athiests should be eligible for all the tax breaks a religious body gets. :p
  10. Ha ha ha, lets not go down the athiesm is a religion road!!
  11. Well yeeees, but atheism is more readily supported by evidence. Mainstream religions require a leap of faith to become a believer, so there is a fundamental difference that does need to be pointed out when 'religious' people attempt to claim atheists are simply part of a 'non-religious religion'.

'Show me proof and I'll believe' rather than 'I believe, ergo I don't need proof' (or even 'if there was proof, no leap of faith would be required therefore there is MEANT to be no proof to allow us to believe').

But yes, we should ALLLLL get tax breaks!!!!!!!!! :LOL: :LOL:
  12. Do, do you "think" that atheists are Nazis?
  13. He won't be on his own at least! :LOL:

You do note he says probably, this is a very specific term and means that based on scientific reasoning there is more than likely no God. Does not say there is NO God.

Paul you should congratulate this man as he will at the very least raise the question in a lot of peoples' heads. It also could allow a lot of people who are lookign for a rational explanation [witness intelligent design] to stop and just accept that God is beyond science and mankind's understanding.
  14. Good on him, religion is an embarrassment, an excuse for abominable behaviour and a curse upon our times.
  15. No.
  16. Yes.
  17. I hope it offends religious people the same way that I am offended by their garbage beliefs.

If I have to put up with their crap, then why shouldn't they have to put up with mine?

18. Can't prove if there is or isn't (yes, I'm agnostic)

All I know is that if I was God, I would've let the dolphins take over a long time ago.
  19. And exactly what shock is that?
  20. All of you, put on your Nomex suits.