Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

There's a reason it's called Kangaroo Ground

Discussion in 'Your Near Misses - A Place to Vent' started by the_blacke, May 23, 2010.

1. #1 the_blacke, May 23, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
    Another observation post rather than a vent...

About 4:30 this afternoon, travelling from Watson's Creek towards Kangaroo Ground on Eltham-Yarra Glen Road. The sun is starting to sink in front of me, and though we were a little lacking in the wildebeest department, there were a few gangs of roos getting their pre-dusk snacks.

There are two bikes behind me in our group, but my mirrors tell me there are a few chaps intending to play through. Sure enough, [URL="]here come two of them now[/URL]... (youtube)

No harm no foul, and damn one of those bikes sounds SWEEEEE-EEEEEEEET!!! But be careful around dusk, folks. Roos are less predictable than cagers, and don't need to be coming from a side street to pull in front of you when you're doing 80 (and the rest, I was doing 80) looking straight into the setting sun. Take care out there...
  2. I nearly hit a large one with my car about a month ago along a dirt track in St. Andrews. They must have made the trip up there.
  3. i hate those giant bouncing rats.
    does anyone know if roo shoos work on bikes?
    do roo shoos even work?

and has anyone seen my keys?
  4. Can't tell you, but I wouldn't trust anything with roos. Their behaviour seems very unpredictable, but it makes a bit more sense when you understand that the group leader usually tries to act as a decoy to lead you away from the others. The younguns just panic though.

I just hit the brakes hard whenever possible, whenever I see them now.
  5. i only got my bike about 4 weeks ago, my first run alone i went past a school, doing 40 and a little boy drops his tennis ball on the road and he ran out in front of me chasing it, just like an ad on tv!, then i thought to go on some quieter streets (same ride) and a roo/wallaby jumped out in front of me!
    it gave me the BE ALERT lesson straight away!, so if anyone is riding around brisbane, give me a wave.....i'll be the guy with eyes open as wide as golfballs and probably still have my indicator on! :)