Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

the Y2K jet bike

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' at netrider.net.au started by RUMPYTRUMPY, Feb 22, 2006.

1. I have been looking for video clips showing this thing in action , unable to find any , if any of you have seen this would love to see it myself .... here is the link to the official production site , nice looking bike i think , but the real joy would be blistering paint at the lights while lane splitting .... click on the logo in the top left corner to hear this things sweet .... umm .... well i guess you would call it an exhaust note
    http://www.marineturbine.com/motorsports.asp

yeeeehaaa !!

i reckon the neighbours would have something to say about this thing bein warmed up in the driveway at 6 in the morning too

2. :) I'd love to know how far that thing would actually get on a tank of fuel. 34 litres seems a lot but gas turbines aren't exactly renowned for fuel efficiency.

3. Go watch Torque. That ought to give you a good idea!

That movie hurt me deeply. :cry: :cry: :cry:

4. why ?? no hyosungs in the movie ? or did they wreck one ? :LOL:

5. IIRC, the bike has a range of about 25 miles.

So unless you go out the previous day and make fuel drops along your proposed route, it's all a bit pointless.

The other thing that'd put me off buying one (apart from the price!) is the thought of what would happen to you if a turbine blade decided to let go... :shock:

6. but wouldnt you love to have a ride on one !!

7. :LOL: I thought it'd be something like that, not much fun having the fastest bike in the world if you get passed by a scooter pushing it to the next servo.

8. Watched that movie the other week for the first time.....and i am also suffering.....ohhh the pain.... :(

9. ahh so its along the same lines of the fast and the furious ?? quality wise .. just watched the trailer , seems lame as hell , nothing with the Y2K on it either

10. Oh you haven't seen it? Then your forgiven for picking on my bike then!!!

This movie is the from the makers of the fast & the furiest. Take out Vin, Diesel & Michelle Rodriguez..... It does have the angry guy from F&F in it... and guess what..... he's still angry... but his harley keeps up with the Y2K........... :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

11. There was a top 10 ever bikes doco on Discovery (I think) on Poxtel a few weeks ago and the Y2K featured in that (I wont spoil the fun by revealing what they called the top bike as most of you would cry).

When asked why you'd build a bike with a jet turbine engine the guy answered "Cos we could" :shock:

They also had a sticker on the back stating keep 20ft away from the rear and apparantly they've melted a few front bumpers on cars that've pulled up a bit close :LOL:

I loved the engine sound as it fired up, just like listening to a helicopter but without the thump thump of the blades turning.

12. a hardley keeping up with a Y2K ?? hehehee yeah right thats believable , and hyosungs might fly .... joke :wink:

13. Yeah the HArley kept up with him, but it can't backflip like the Y2K... :roll:

SHITHOUSE movie. Insulting.

14. There is a series running on Discovery, I think, called "The Greatest" which ran an episode on the 10 greatest motorcycles of all time. Somehow the Y2K made the list... :roll:

It had a reasonable amount of footage including a jet (plane) vs bike run. As is always the case with these car/bike documentaries Leno was interviewed, because he owns one, and commented on its penchant for melting the 'bumpers' of cars waiting behind at the lights. :)