Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

The World's 10 Most EPIC Motorcycle Rides

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by Lazy Libran, Sep 17, 2016.

1. Came across this article in the Traveller section of The Age

The world's 10 most epic motorcycle rides

The Trollstigen is the stuff of legends in a land where many roads seemingly defy gravity. Located in Rauma, roughly midway between Bergen and Trondheim, this short stretch of road offers 11 hairpin bends dropping down a nine-degree descent. Oh, and the road is usually wet and fog is quite common. You are likely to encounter many other motorcyclists, particularly at the viewing platform at the top, before you commit yourself to the descent.

The Himalayas, the highest mountains in the world, have several operators running motorcycle tours there, in Nepal, India, Bhutan and Tibet. The preferred bike is an Indian Royal Enfield and the ultimate goal is Mt Everest from the Tibetan side. Nomadic Knights offers a 14-day ride from Kathmandu that takes you across the Chinese border and over several 5000+ metre passes to Rongbuk Monastery and all the way to Everest Base Camp that lies at 5200 metres. See nomadicknights.com

The Australian road that makes every "best of" list is Victoria's B100 from Torquay to Warrnambool. Better known as the Great Ocean Road, and carved along the ocean shores between 1919 and 1932, it has everything a touring motorcyclist could want: bends and straights, great wildlife and stunning views. It can be done in a day but is better covered over two. The best riding section is between Lorne and Apollo Bay but the whole road is a brilliant ride that will be better enjoyed the more you stop. See visitgreatoceanroad.org.au

Ride to the bottom of the world. The Pan-American Highway runs from the top of Alaska to the tip of South America with a 100km break called the Darien Gap between Panama and Colombia. While much of Patagonia is a grey, cold, barren place when you cross to the island of Tierra del Fuego you're in a land of forests, mountains and lakes. Eventually, you come into the Ushuaia "fin del mundo" at 54°48'S. Expect to see lots of on-road/off-road GS BMWs with number plates from everywhere.

The SS145 between the southern Italian cities of Sorrento and Salerno is only about 60km in length. It's not for the faint-hearted, particularly when you find yourself sharing the outside of a clifftop with an exuberantly-driven bus. The scenery and the brightly-painted villages are grand but you'll want to stop to appreciate them. There's room to park a bike, not so much for a car. The road swoops and soars into towns like Positano and the Tyrrhenian Sea far below is never more than a missed braking mark away.

Russia is the biggest country on earth and on the 10,000km ride from Vladivostok to St Petersburg you'll become very aware of that. It has even been ridden in winter. I found hospitable locals, historic cities and endless birch forest make this a great summer ride, just as Ewan McGregor and Charley Borman recounted in Long Way Round. The bureaucratic preparations are much worse than the experience on the ground. See davebarr.com; longwayround.com

The spectacular coastline of the Hawaiian Island of Maui features on this 100km ride. It combines routes 36 and 360 between the town of Hana and Kahului airport on the north coast. There are more than 600 bends and about 60 bridges along the route that mainly runs through dense rainforest. See hanamaui.com

The US West Coast offers a great road trip. While much of the attention is on the LA to San Francisco section, I much prefer the backwoods of Highways 1 and 101 between San Francisco and Portland, Oregon. If you stick to Highway 1 along the coast you go through quaint towns like Bodega Bay (made famous by Hitchcock'sThe Birds), Crescent City and Astoria. You pass by coastal redwood forests with the tallest trees in the world, a remarkable Glass Beach at Fort Bragg and Cape Meares' impossible Octopus Tree.

While the main highway from the Argentinean town of Mendoza up the Andes to the Chilean border in the shadow of Aconcagua (6961m) is a series of steps, from the border post at 3200 metres the road plummets down towards Santiago de Chile. The last time I rode down here, my companion was passed by the local bus while negotiating the 20 successive hairpin bends covered in a scattering of loose gravel. Los Caracoles means "the snails".

Nordkapp, or North Cape, is the northernmost point of Europe. That would be reason enough to visit. But if you follow the coast from Bergen along the E39 and E6 to get there you'll be on one of the most convoluted rides in the world. There will be ferries and fiords and remarkable scenery throughout the 2300km journey. Then the trees shrink and disappear, and finally you take a ferry to the island of Mageroya and ride past reindeer and snowdrifts to the top of Europe.

• Like Like x 2
  2. #2 kneedragon, Sep 17, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2016
    Nice. I have only ridden one of those roads... I have used Google Earth to explore the coast roads up and down the West coast of the US, around San Francisco... They look like a lot of fun.

The road from Cairns up to Mareeba is pretty good, and so is the Oxley Hwy from (near) Port Maquarie to Tamworth. And Mount Cootha is a bit of a trap because there's often a cop or two around, but it's a lovely piece of road. And I quite like the run up over Mt Mee and then through Woodford to Melaney.

If you just want a challenge, (and spectacular scenery) then the famous passes of Europe need a mention. Like the Stelvio Pass. (SP?) How much fun they'd actually be to ride, is another question...
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 2
  3. Pssst I think there possibly should be 11 most 'Epic' rides :whistle:

new 11.JPG
    • Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 4
  4. yeah that ride up through the Atherton Tablelands to Mareeba is awesome.
  5. I have a Gilles-1 through to a Gilles-8. I'm sorry, they're all only one minute long. The upload speed over a mobile / wireless internet USB 5 years ago, and the cost of data...

6. ... there's also a couple of clips marked "rubber chicken run" which show some of the Mt Mee + Maleny + Montville run (bits of it) and that's also very nice.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. thanks mate, will have a bit of a sticky beak at some of your vids, might have a few whiskies and spend the night on YT and NR, the chillibabe loves it when I do that! :whistle:
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Thank you for subscribing, that's very flattering, but quite unnecessary. There's not going to be any more...
    • Like Like x 1
  9. no problem mate. I know you're not riding these days but you can still shoot a vid. I reckon you'll get the YT urge again, we all have a secret desire to 'go viral'.
  10. I'd have to go buy another camera... which I guess I could do... I could talk to the one on the top of the laptop screen, but I'd have to take my glasses off. Every time I try it I get solid bright 100% white screen reflection over both lenses, even in daylight... It's kinda funny, but...
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. Done road to hana in a car many times.
    Not sure I would attempt it on a bike.
    Bit like riding the GOR... with a blindfold.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. I just checked YT, not too many bike clips but I see what you mean, pretty narrow!
  13. The 60 bridges are all one car at a time.
    Often they are just around a bend.
    Cracking road in winter with a 60 foot swell just about breaking on the road.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Whoever wrote that list hasnt been to NZ, clearly.

No disrespect intended to the OP, these lists are usually fun to read but for me an average ride Ive actually done will always beat an iconic one I'll never do. Also would rate rides in good company higher, plus the standard of breakfast makes a difference.

And Any day with a bike ride in it is a good day
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Of those, only ridden the GOR and driven the Pacific Coast Highway (Bid Sur) and Amalfi coast.
    We know what spoils the GOR these days - it was good once upon a time. Big Sur is still epic though.
    Would like to ride the Amalfi, not sure I've got the spuds though.
    I agree the Gillies is great. So is Lake Leake and Lake Plimsoll in Tassie. Bonang of course.
  16. GOR in that company must be a joke right? Its not even close to being the best in Oz let alone the world.
    Ive ridden Hana Hwy, awesome.
    Driven the US Pacific Coast - San Fran to LA, awesome as well
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Apart from the scenery, the American Pacific Coast Highway between LA and San Fran is pretty average. Much better roads inland crossing the Cascades and Rocky Mountains. Sadly quiet a few of them get closed for winter they are brilliant. Some of those better Rocky Mountain roads will take you up over 12,000ft.
    • Informative Informative x 1