Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

The winter sun - blinding

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by port80, May 31, 2006.

1. The last couple of days as I have riden on Gree Gully Rd and come up the hill I have been completely blinded by the sun. At about 7 in the morning it sits really low in the sky and unlike in summer time it is white and very glary, consuming almost half of the sky. It leaves me wondering how others cope when you are blinded by the sun and left guessing in which direction the road is.

2. I have the same problem coming home at about 5pm in the afternoon. Coming from the city, up the hill to Belconnen Way (this is Canberra folks), the sun is right in my eyes for a couple of km's. Nothing I can do about it except squint and hope that everyone else on the road is paying as much attention as I am...
  3. I have trouble trying to keep my eyes open while I make my morning coffee and the sun is streaming in the kitchen window. Ahhhh wonderful to wake up to see the sun :grin:
  4. I wear an irridium visor and it still affects me on some afternoons, i can't wear sunnies under my helmet because i find it too uncomfortable, I don't have the sun in my face but diretly behind me which means everytime i headcheck or look in my mirrors i can't see anything.
  5. I've seen some riders who apply a piece of adhesvie tape electrical, gaffer or speed across the top of their shield to act as a sun shade.
    I've also nticed that there is a device in the new Nolan flip up helmet designed for this purpose.
  6. I do like the look of that new Nolan...

And for $400 bucks it still out-features everything else near it.
  7. I don't have a problem with it in the morning coz I've been to the gym and I'm at work by the time the sun decides to get it's lazy a$$ out of bed :LOL:

In the evening on the way home I get that really bad sunset... I put sunnies on (polarised, not too darkly tinted) until the sun's almost set then I have to pull over and take them off :oops: It's annoying but atleast I can see where I'm going and I'm not squinting and guessing which way the road is :wink:
  8. It was interesting riding around the black spur yesterday, the lights were playing off with the trees/shade. As it was there was damp patches everywhere so the sunlight sometimes reflected off the water. Very hard to see sometimes especially if you're approaching a very dark area from very bright sunlight shining into your eyes. Still it was the spur during a weekday with nice weather and barely any traffic :cheeky: :woot: Even did a good deed near the rest area by spotting the "lost" radiator cap for a mini-bus full of elderly residents from Marysville when their driver decided to remove the cap and dropped it.
  9. Good thinking 99... I might just try some tape. I do like the idea of the Nolan, I see they even have a multimedia attachment.. is it bluetooth?
  10. Best to put the black strip on the lower edge of the visor and adjust the shading by adjusting the visor. Come to think about it, its usually cold, so a slightly open visor stops fogging, also you are usually doing slower speeds when facing the sun (in traffic especially).
  11. You get the same problem occasionally just before the Ring Road junction on the Calder Freeway and just past the Bulla Rd exit on the Tulla as well.

The West Gate Bridge can be real ugly on a sunny morning as well.
  12. Get a pair of Serengetti sunglasses. All of the pilots wear them to prevent just this occuring.
  13. What I'm finding about the sun glare is that it makes bicycles very difficult ot see...

Turning right from Macarthur St into St Andrews Place in North Melb in the mornings it's impossible to see anything.

I know that a lot of bicycles come down between stopped traffic and the kerb or past the stationary trams and come straight across the "Keep Clear" area but even slowing and watching for them (both cage & bike) it's impossible to see them with the sun behind. I'm sure some of the car drivers think I take that turn in front of them at walking pace just to annoy them - even then I've nearly collided with bicycles. :roll:

14. I've had this problem a lot around 5-6 since the main street here runs uphill directly into the setting sun - and idiot pedestrians insist on running across the road in front of traffic :roll:.

15. Not in my world. The most common sunglasses worn by pilots are Bauch & Lomb, or Randolph 'Aviator' models, with neutral grey optics built to MIL.SPEC. 25948. Only glasses built to that spec are issued to military pilots. Serengeti Drivers are very good quality fashion sunglasses, and are great for, err driving, but they are not approved to MIL.SPEC. 25948 as far as I know.
  16. Yep. It's the ducks guts, and I got mine for $350 from the Yamaha place in Ringwood. I just asked for a 'good price' so others could probably do better if they tried.

A more general solution to sun glare is to make sure your visor is clean and scratch free. It's the bits of dirt and small scratches on the visor catching the sun that dazzle you. What we really need is a nice simple way to polish a visor.
  17. Moike, I'm seriously considering one of these, how is it for wind noise?
  18. Do they stock them at all bike shops?? :?
    I wouldn't mind checking them out coz I keep hearing good things about them :cool:
  19. Same here - what's your opinion after riding with it for a while...
  20. On my bike with my fairing and my posture, it's a little quieter than some of the other helmets I've used. I still need to use earplugs, but it's not too bad. I don't detect any additional noise because of the outer tinted visor, whether it's up or down, but I haven't bothered taking it off yet. I'd expect the helmet to be quieter without it, but helmet noise is a bit of a black art.

One feature that seems to help is the (removable) rubber curtain under the chin. It effectively stops the wind from blowing up under the helmet. There is also a small moulded nose guard/breat deflector but it doesn't seal and doesn't seem to do much. I haven't bothered taking it out because it's not in the way.

The anti-fog insert is the real bonus for me. In very cold weather I need to crack the visor a bit to stop my glasses fogging up, but out on the open road the vents in the chin-guard give a pretty good flow of air. These are the easiest-to-operate air vents I have used.
    The comms bit seems to be a little hatch in the side that enables the installation of optional wired or wireless communications gear. I haven't investigated it.

The opening system is a good one. It requires two separate movements to release the catch, but you can do easily it with a single gloved hand.