Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

The 'which lane will the car choose' fiasco

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by Mr Owl PhD, Feb 29, 2016.

1. This might be a Brisbane thing or maybe not but it's ridiculously prevalent and I have not really worked out a good strategy yet other than to expect all possibilities and be ready. Here's the set up...

You are barreling down down a 70kph road at or slightly above the speed limit, there are two proper lanes plus a shoulder so plenty of room. As you begin to near a side road you can see a car just pulling up to the give way sign. The thing is that there are two lanes and no other traffic, you are only using one lane, geddit? Yup no matter who it is whether a hoon or a nurse they are definitely going to pull into the stream of traffic. Why? Because if you are in the left lane, they'll come out really fast because they have a nice big curve to pull into the right hand lane.

But if you are in the right hand lane, then they are still going to pull out in front of you even though it's too tight, why? because you are in the right lane and they are going into the left, so what's the problem. The problem is that they don't really have time which means they have to come out just as fast as if they were pulling into the right lane, but it's now such a tight curve that they wildly over compensate swinging back to the right as they turn. It's ugly.

It's a strange situation, occasionally someone will wait for me to pass which completely throws me.
  2. Buffer mate and watch em like a hawk, this should have been taught to you when getting your license. You need to take control of your own situation as you can not control theirs. If you need to slow down then slow down, if you need to swerve then swerve, etc, etc.
    I would suggest you do an advanced riding course if you haven't already which should give you much more confidence and help you make a decisive decision in those situations. Its not good to be confused about what to do and be thrown by the vehicles manoeuvre, that will set off your survival reactions which is not where you want to be.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Fret no longer... I know your issue and the solution!!!

The problem is that you're doing slightly above the speed limit. What I've learned from TAC is that if you were doing the speed limit the driver in the wrong would have magically arrived and pulled out of the intersection prior to your arrival, and you would have reached that point "a moment later" thus the driver would have already made up his mind and you would have nothing to worry about, knowing which lane he was occupying.

OK - I guess you're skeptical about this, so I have evidence:

Pay particular attention to what they say around 0:47. See... all the magic in timing only occurs if you go at or below the speed limit. :)

I just wish the government would change the speed limits to faster ones so we could travel safer at those faster speeds. ;)
    • Funny Funny x 7
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Yeah, of course I do all that I always drive such that I have any situation covered, but giving myself über buffer is always no. 1 on the list. Nevertheless I find the situation annoying.
  5. Ha, that's pretty clever video, lucky the car and bike both had dashcams to capture it ;¬) There's so much that's dodgy about that video though but I can't quite put my finger on it. Perhaps it was the 21 metre back wheel skid from 68kph, that doesn't seem possible. However I will concede that on that particular stretch of road I would be traveling no faster than 50 which makes the video a bit silly.

The video would be more clever if they showed the rider travelling at 60 and pointing out that the speed limit is a maximum speed not a recommended minimum.
  6. #6 steve37, Feb 29, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2016
    Ajrider your right ,timing is relative,cause on the flip side if he was doing 140 he would be home on the piss before the driver even got to the intersection.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Agreed, but I think that TAC doesn't include this as an option because of all the kittens that would be killed in the process. ;)
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Look.....I get the video is meant to help etc, but its just so stupid. Where in this video does it mention once that the person driving the car needed to be more aware, or in fact it was their fault that this 34 year old rider will never make it home to his kids? I understand that we as riders don't care about right or wrong, but in the case of this ad no one is actually hurt, so the discussion of right and wrong should occur to raise awareness to drivers.

The more I think about it, the more pissed off I get to be honest.
  9. Don't and never assume they will move into the opposite lane, or have any urgency to get to the speedlimit once they pull out, assuming they even wait till you gone past...some don't and it gets very ugly very fast.
    I've ruined some good pairs of underwear to this and ploughed into the side of a car from someone turning out across my lane.

My checklist
    -Slow down or at least cover your brakes
    -Plan an escape route
    -Do a smidsy wobble to get their attention
    -Try to make eye contact with the driver
    • Like Like x 3
  10. Maybe I needed more smilies in my original post. The video was posted with the intention to be humourous. (It's a serious TAC video, but as you mentioned, it's so stupid it's posted as a joke - you just can't take what they're saying seriously anymore).

As steve37steve37 mentioned - you can have the same effect by traveling at 140kph. ;) The irony is that TAC are trying to justify their position on speed due to circumstantial timing. I could just as easily argue that by putting his right glove on first and then left, and then taking them off because you forgot to put your helmet on first was the cause because that delayed the rider, and he would have missed the vehicle if he had have put his helmet on first, and then his right glove before the left. ;)

The original post was supposed to be sarcastic - but now that I've had to spell it out, it's kinda lost the whole joke. ;)
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Don't worry mate.......I got it, wasn't having a go at you and why it was posted. More stating a point you'd already made about that video. It's so bad, it almost makes things worse for us.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. That video was supposed to be a reconstruction of a real life collision, with measurements and estimates taken from it.

The bit that puzzled me was that if a rider left a 21m skid, they could have stopped A LOT quicker by braking better and more effectively (without skidding), so why wasn't the ad about getting training?

Ditto the bit about making your intentions crystal clear, buffering and setting up for avoidance. But you knew that.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Yeah, good point.
  14. Exactly, rider awareness is really the issue. I found myself in a very similar situation today with a large van too close to a corner obscuring my vision with a car hidden behind it, it was automatic for me to adjust my pace, I glanced at the speedo and it was showing between 40 and 50 and my dial reads fast, so I'd say I was travelling at 40 which felt like the right speed. So as I said earlier with a car coming the opposite way, 60 was way too fast. And I think that is what the ad should have pointed out, not 'aye lads when you're in a narrow busy area with cars parked obscuring your vision and cars coming at you where anything could happen at any time you should always travel at the maximum permissible speed limit, then you'll be safe. None of this 68kph business, oh no stick to the maximum permissible speed always and you know you'll be good to go.

15. If she's cute, get a phone number too!
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. From my experience (not much in Brisbane) it varies across regions. For example drivers in different regions in my city drive very differently.
    I think it becomes habitual, or learned, for drivers in a region to become selfish or competitive. Or even to become blasé and careless.
    They see others doing a thing and they assume it is the accepted way. Raising a fuss might be a strategy, but then you've got the problem of defensive road rage.
    So we are back to strategies to deal with what is probably inevitable. I have become wary of riding in unfamiliar areas where I don't know the habits.
  17. That sounds like a joke Lindsay Webb tells (at every freakin' one of his stand up routines). Sadly, I can't find any video of it.
  18. Forget the kittens, won't somebody think of the children! I feel that there should be a new rule, where we have to get off the bike and push it through a school zone, proceeded by a man with a fluoro flag and a whistle. This way, the driver could have made the turn, and been safely at home before the reckless rider happened upon the scene.
    • Funny Funny x 2
  19. Pleeeeeze don't give the government any more foolish ideas... they've been known to take on foolish policies at a whim! Dont' tempt them. ;)
  20. No it's not just a Brisbane thing. They do it everywhere, and sometimes you will observe them, work out which way they're going, anticipate that they aren't going to stop as they're going too fast, change lanes to give yourself a buffer and they will still turn into the lane you now occupy, because they only did the one quick glance as they approached the intersection and didn't see that you had changed lane. Then the phuckers see you when they're already pulling out, panic, slam on the anchors and stop blocking both lanes. This leaves you up the proverbial creek if there's on coming traffic, unless you were set up on the brakes and ready to stop. If they kept going you would have more time and space to stop, or swerve. The only way they could make it worse and give you less time to respond would be to turn towards you on the wrong side of the road. Unfortunately that happens too, particularly on divided roads.

Gotta love that right hand bar, not only is it home of the exhilarator, but that lever which lives beside it is the best friend that you have on the bike.