Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

The Ultimate Blond Challenge

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by Guest, Jul 9, 2005.

1. Just to prove to you all that I am indeed a true blond, I undertook the following escapade, just to keep you entertained! So I hope all you bods out there appreciate the effort this took 8)

As some of you know, I recently spent a week in Canberra, then joined the group in Merimbula for the ride back to Melbourne. While in Canberra the weather was too crap to ride far, so I wandered around the bike shops to look at the gear scene up there. Wanting to upgrade my old DriRider I found myself a nice little bargain, and was then faced with the conundrum of not having room to carry home an extra, armoured jacket on top of all the gear I already had with me. (I had been away 2 weeks by this time) So the solution was to post home the old jacket and snuggle up in the new warm one. All well and good, until the sneak blond attack struck!

Jackets have pockets. Bike keys normally go in pockets after a ride. Normally, one would check, at least once, the aformentioned pockets before committing it to the caring arms of AusPost. Oh, sure, I had emptied the pockets a few days before when taking it to Cash Converters to see if there was any hope of them offering a realistic price for it, but I had been on the bike since then, hadn't I? And the brain said yes, you have checked your pockets, they are empty... :evil: Some habits are good, since I know where my keys are, but in this case knowing where they were and accessing them were 2 entirely different matters!!!

So I go out to my bike early Saturday morning, hoping to leave form Merimbula by 10am so I can have some fun on the way. The weather had turned into clear blue skies, glorious, the plans were to head for the coast and enjoy all the bendies I could discover. Instead, the next hour involed turning the room I'd been staying in upside down, unpacking and repacking my daypack, and repeatedly checking Draggin pockets etc, just knowing the obvious! So then started a round of phonecalls, trying to see if there was any way to get a key cut - it's all very well having 2 spares when they are both at home... That avenue was a deadend, even if Suzuki did still hand out key codes to whoever had read the Serial Number off the rego sticker, if was a Sat morning and was there anyone at Suzuki??? They kindly gave out a number for Spare Parts on a taped message, though they cleverly ensured that the poor overworked bods at that facility would never be harrassed by desperate keyless riders, as they sneakily only gave 7 out of 8 digits for the phone number. Even listening to the tape a second time didn't convince them to alter their cruel stance.

So the scene unfolded of a bike being lifted onto a dodgy old trailer - yes, the steering lock was on! - and driving it out to a bike shop where they proceeded to pull the ignition apart (after having to drop the forks to get the steering lock off!) and turn my normally pretty standard Across into the latest, updated hotwired version. Now at last could I claim to have a unique bike!!! :LOL:

Much mirth was had in Merimbula when I finally arrived, having left at 3.30pm and missed all chance of a fun burn down the coast. I just hightailed it through Cooma and then across to Merimbula, arriving there around 6-6.30pm - after much cursing of the absolutely pissweak headlight Suzuki provided for all the Urban Sports riding only under streetlamps they expect us to do. :evil: Being last to arrive, I parked the overloaded bike in the only remaining space in front of all its bigger brothers. With much mirth by the totally unsympathetic onlookers I proceeded to attach the lock and chain as a surrogate steering lock. Yes, I agree, with all those other bikes who would want to steal an Across? But which other bike there could you have just jumped on and ridden away???

I continued to entertain the rest of that unruly mob with my antics to access various facets of the bike the next day. The ignition I could switch on and off via a toggle switch that had been wired in. (Just a little less conspicuous than twisting 2 wires together every time I wanted to start!) But it did not activate the fuel tank release nor the boot release. Hence, the fuel lid cover was cable-tied open and another utilised as a surrogate seat release (no key for that either!) And to release the seat I needed to do to access the emergency release for the boot, activated via a screwdriver - which I had to keep borrowing! Once the luggage was loaded though, I had to enlist the help of other hands to lift the front corner of the seat so I could spring the release, as it was far too much a hassle to unload everything to lift the seat. Hence missing out on the fun at the hoon corner as it took me forever to get out my camera!

So therein lies my tale of mirth and amusement for the masses. Now I lay the challenge for anyone to better that 'truely blond' effort! C'mon gys, there must be some pearlers out there, that can at least come close!!! :LOL: Tell us your tales, take up the challenge! Hey, you can even go out and do some dumb things just so you can tell us!!! 8)
  2. ummmm..... you win :shock:

bravo :LOL:
  3. I surrender too. I couldn't beat that in a lifetime of riding.

100 points for being brave enough to 'fess up about it.
  4. haha good laugh of a story. Ahh good ol Across', I can only but laugh while riding behind you watching you changing up and down 2 or 3 gears everytime there was a hint of a hill or corner, just to be able to keep up speed, with i trotting along in 5th the whole time. And those :LOL:
  5. :wink: That story is soooo funny (not so funny if if was me thou). Thanks for sharing.
  6. ....so THAT'S what the pantomime with the screwdriver was all about at Merimbula!
    Sorry Jarrah, that takes the cake! I've locked my house keys in the house when I've gone out on a ride, but I've got a spare garage key on the bike key ring, and a spare set of house keys in the garage, so it's never been that sort of drama.
    Needless to say, I hope the old jacket arrived home safely?>??
  7. I bow at the feet of my Queen!
  8. Ahh I done and forgot the tag to the end of the story....

I arrived home at 10pm Monday evening, having stopped on the way at Werribee Coffee Night and let them know I had ridden all the way from Canberra just to see them... :LOL: On my key crab I have not only the bike key, but the key to the shed where I keep my bike. So I arrive thinking that I would have to open up the house and fetch out the spare for the padlock before I could put my bike away - whereas instead I had only to open the AusPost package that was sitting on the back verandah, drop out the coat, fish the keys out of the pocket and unlock the shed! And yep, I was laughing at myself big time :D

C'mon peoples - there must be some challengers out there!!!?
  9. yes, good laugh. and i understand coz my wife is blonde... lol
  10. Glad to be of further entertainment value! :D

C'mon peoples - I have hear some nasty rumours of some ripper stories out there... Be brave, do tell!!!! Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease........
  11. nothing like that, but my GF (blonde :wink: ) forgot to put her foot down at the end of our street when she went for her first ride on her new bike. she then cracked the shits and decided to go home. pulled into the driveway, and did the same thing again :LOL:
  12. I thought my (non-blond) daughter did a good job by losing the key from her Spada half way between Noojee & Willow Grove (It just fell out while the bike was going :LOL: ) But that ones even better. :LOL:

It even beats my coming off a brand new bike 5 minues after picking it up :LOL: :oops: and friend of mine who put a 5 litre can of diesel in his BSA (Well it was dark and he picked the wrong can up...) :LOL:

Good story and well told :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

13. hmmm
    ol' BSA's went well on kero...why not diesel..? :p
  14. dow !

My dear friend,

Now i'm a bit worried about you coming with me on that world tour... :roll:

15. The tale is too long and embarrassing to repeat all of it, but just so you know you are not the only one who does truly blonde things (and I am not even blonde) here is my embarrassing event:

take one car, reported stolen after a long weekend away.
    take one phone call from the police two weeks later to say the car had been found.
    take one club lock on the steering wheel of said car, parked at the train station I occaisionally frequented....

:oops: :oops: :oops: :shock:

I was just lucky I hadn't processed the insurance claim yet!!!
  16. Let me see,
    1. lock keys in house, is ok I have bike keys so can ring wife and get her to meet me to get spares off her.
    2. pick up keys (1.5 hrs return trip)
    3. lock keys in house again, including wifes set. Now have no spares.
    4. Ring wife no help there due to no spares and even further away now.
    5. break window to get in.
    6. retrieve keys and ring glass mob and then hang around to wait for them to repair.
  17. The competition is on.
    Now if I can just find the key to the filing cabinet of my memory. :wink:
  18. Solid Gold Jarrah, solid gold! :D

I've locked myself out of cars, houses, you name it, but that's a classic if ever I've heard one. :LOL:
  19. how about realising just as i slam the car door with my right hand that the keys are in there and sticking my left hand out to stop the door, ended up with my left hand stuck in the locked door with my keys inside
  20. These stories all seem to involve keys, not just blondes. I had put my experience down to being a learner, but maybe it has more to do with the blonde streaks in my hair.
    Heading off to work one rainy Friday morning pull keys out of ignition while bike is running (old bike) to get to wets under seat. Leave keys in seat lock while riding to work. Keys fall out of seat lock on way to work. I managed to turn the bike OFF with a scrap of metal in the work carpark, but getting it back ON again at 6.30pm in the dark is a different thing. My house mate did a 1 hour trip to get my spare from home to me. THEN, coming up to an intersection on my way home the engine starts to loose power, time to flick to reserve. Surely I would be able to get to the intersection only a few metres away and change there? No luck, it stalled. Trying to start a stalled bike at an intersection that has no fuel in the lines leads to.... flat battery. Push the bike to the other side of the road (slight downhill slope) to roll start the bike. Wet roads won't let the engine turn over, plus the GPX doesn't like going from neutral to 2nd.
    Finally I must say thanks (if he's on this forum) to the rider in his cage that stopped and tried to start my bike with his emergency battery (which was flat) and then giving me a push start.