Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

The U Turn

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by djc, Oct 21, 2008.

1. Im off to do my MOST this weekend and went out to practise tonight

For the life of me I cant conquer the U turn within a 6 meter space, I have no idea what i was doing wrong but I tried probably 50-60 times and wasnt sucessful once!

I ended up dropping the bike twice as well which crowned the evening off nicely.

I searched the newb forum but couldnt see any specific threads on the U turn

Can someone help me out with correct technique and some tips?

I have tried 2 differant techniques so far
    1. Clutch at friction point back brake slightly engaged
    2. Approach slightly faster clutch in completely back brake on and coast around the corner accelerate out

Method 2 felt better and i was getting within a 7 meter u turn occassionally but I just found my balance was crap and i wasnt confident enough to get to full right lock

2. Try method one and make sure your elbows are bent. Maintain constant revs and frictionpoint with the clutch, control speed with the rear brake. That works for me.
  3. look where you want to go is the most important thing...alot of people start a u turn and then look down, fixate on the curb and head towards that instead of completing the u turn correctly.

Where you look is where you go, whether coasting or using the clutch and rear brake...

As weird as it sounds you need to almost look over your shoulder, keep your eyes up and look through the turn to where you need to go and you should crack it :)
  4. hi there djc. I just completed (and passed) my Ps yesterday (see my earlier post). I had a little troubles with the U-Turn too. I lost 1 point for 'foot down'.

Like you, I also practiced in a carpark... a bunch of times cause I'm a worrier. While practicing I was doing it in 2nd gear, made the U-Turn well within 6m, every time. So this was one less thing to worry about on the day... so I thought. On the day, the instructor kept saying "I strongly recommend..." doing the cone weave and U-turn in 1st, using the throttle, friction point and clutch control method. Stupidly, I ditched my method and used the 1st gear friction point... method (because it was strongly recommended a bunch of times ), which I didn't practice at all. I should have just done it my way, I would have blasted it no problems... the nerves must have got me.

What I did find work really well when we were doing practice runs was to look up, turning my head to where I wanted to end up right from the start of turning. That was the instructor's advice. I kept looking at the ground.

I hope all goes well for you. My only advice is to find a method that works and sticking to it. You can perform it in any gear and at any speed you feel comfortable.
  5. thanks for the tips everyone

I reckon I was getting a bit fixated on the outside markers we used for the 6 meters so I'll make sure I throw my head around and stop looking at them

The youtube vid was helpful as well, I certainly wasnt counterbalancing when turning so thats something to practise tomorrow afternoon

I was also struggling with my clutch control in the corner when i replayed what i was doing in my head so I guess thats something else to practice

Well at least I felt better about the emergency stop practice, I guess commuting in Sydney means you learn this one really really quickly.

Ill post back tomorrow to let you know if ive improved at all
  6. Take ur time mate and it'll come to you. It'll really all come down to practice. Someone can give you the exact formula for the perfact turn, but until you get out there and turn a wheel, it'll never come together. So just keep at it and in a little while you'll be wondering how you ever struggled with it.....
  7. First gear can be a bit grabby on a 250 for real slow speed turning stuff which can put you off the turn. Second gear may be the go (evne if it lugs a bit) as previously indicated by another poster.
  8. 2nd gear is fine on any 250. simply keep the revs up, and slip the clutch.
    did you know high revs actually helps with balance during slow speed riding on most bikes?
    thespinning internals have their own gyroscopic effect, the same as the wheels. the higher the revs, the more the effect. it might not make much diff, but it might bee enough, who knows..
  9. get your left arse cheek to hang off the left side of your seat and get the handlebars as far to the right as possible and balance it, and just keep looking through it so you keep your balance.

you get loads of time to practice before the MOST so you'll be right :grin:
  10. #11 zenali, Oct 22, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
  11. What bike are you using? Some are much harder than others.
    Keep your feet on the pegs and slip the clutch.
  12. im riding a gs500

A mate who i was practising with had a go on my bike and said it was harder to complete than on his kwaka but he could still do it 2 times out of 3

off to do some more practise this afternoon, im thinking i may pike it and hire a cbr250 on the day from them to do the test on if i cant get it right (not sure if it will make that much of a differance though)

Can you rock up on the day and use one of their bikes or do you need to let them know in advance?
  13. I hope you mean cb250 because a cbr250 will be alot harder than the gs500 for the u-turn. The gs500 actually has a better turning circle than any of the 250cc LAMS sports bikes.

Keep practicing with the gs500... I don't think I used 2nd gear at all during any of the tests as it is quite tall. My only regret is not learning to slow ride before the test... I mean really slow ride; Most of the day was me listening to the instructor telling me to go slower, slower, slower which involves slipping the clutch with about 4.5k on the revs and being quite agressive with the rear brake... my rear brake was squeaking for weeks after the test :shock: As for the u-turn box I found that quite easy on the gs500 with room to spare either side, the slow ass cone weave is what took me a while to get right on the day.
  14. well apparently practise helps

I wasnt great or even good but I can perform a right hand u turn most of the time

If the MOST had someone awarding Style points I'd be fcuked. Im sure I look like a tool wobbling all over the place.

The one thing i did figure out is U turns on a decline are harder than u turns on an incline. The car park I was practising on had a slight slope and I found if I U turned going down hill I usually stuffed it but if I U turned up hill then I was much better.

I just hope the course on Saturday is flat! :shock:
  15. From my own experience, the best way to do a u-turn is to approach the spot in gear and apply REAR brake pressure. Now you can slip the clutch if needed, to get your speed down very low, and use the clutch-slip and brake together to control your bike speed.

Counter-lean - that is...tilt the bike over in the direction of the turn while YOU remain upright or even leaning a little in the oppisite direction (as needed for balance)

Look where you want to go...not at the ground 2 feet in front of your wheel...

Practicing this technique should get you doing easy and smooth full lock turns in no time. :grin:

16. Thanks for the advice and in a nutshell this was what I had to learn,

I couldnt get the hang of leaning the bike in for ages but today it finally stuck. When I was leaning it in I was actually slowing down too much freaking out and touching the front brake resulting my balancing going to shit

LEaning the bike in and trusting the bike to turn and suddenly im U'ing with the best of em (well ok the worst of them)

Thanks evryone for your advice, the you tube vids were really helpful as well :LOL: