Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

The Trumpy Daytona 600??

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by csgup1, Dec 27, 2007.

1. hey guys!

i used to own an 02 gixxer 600 which i managed to bin. just wondering what are your suggestions on the 05 daytona 600??. dont see very many of these bikes around for some reason.

anyone own one here??

2. From what the road tests and track tests tell me, these were a very good road bike with great handling that didn't sell much because the jap 600s all made more power and had a better reputation for reliability.

The superbike school chose these and then the 650s as their school bike fleet, so clearly in their opinion they were good handling bikes.

Go ride one, if you like it, go for it but it might be worth checking how much common parts are so there's no surprises down the track.
  3. Just had a look at bikesales for some. Looks ok, but seems to be called tt600 maybe?
  4. Nah the TT600 was a slightly tourier, earlier version.
  5. The engine is as strong as any of the Jap 600's of the era. Being a Triumph, its geared more for being fast on the road, rather than the racetrack, and so this is what clouded people's opinion of it, and the media circus in general with their single-minded focus on top-end power figures and lap-times.

They are a sweet handling bike. On the road the engine delivers more strongly than any other 600cc bike, both due to its road-going gearing, and due to it being 646cc in capacity.

They are slightly heavier than your typical Japanese super-sport, and more stable steering. Once again, despite what the number-crunchers will tell you, this makes for a better real-world road-bike for going fast on than a flighty Jap equivalent. Around a race-track, they're about 1s/lap slower on average than the rest of the Japanese field when in the hands on an experienced racer. When setup in race-trim they were actually quite successful at the track in British race series.

In short - they're a severely under-rated excellent sporting road bike that was bypassed by a myopic market-place. They're one of the very few super-sport class bikes in recent times that harken back to the days of the earlier YZF600's and CBR600's that mixed speed, comfort, handling and power delivery that makes good sense in the real world.
  6. thanks for the opnions fellas. the reviews dont have any bad things to say about them . i guess they came out in a year where the gixxers and the r6's were going strong.

might look at a couple to decide.

who knows might even get the latest trumpy!
    love those bikes!

7. Seems like a great bike, but finding parts further down the track could be a hassle. ALthough i'm sure they would be fairly easily available from the uk (at a price tho) :cool:
  8. I remember hearing about the early 00's daytonas (and trumpies in general) having a few efi problems, but firmware flashing should have fixed that up the last time they got serviced. I think it was the 01/02's that had the most trouble.

Other then that, look at those sexy lines. Thats a motorbike.
  9. Insert scoff here - I still think with shipping you'd be ahead compared to what the local guys charge. And Triumph seem to be selling a few of them, it's quite popular throughout Europe.
  10. Production of the 650's (and all 4-cylinder bikes for that matter) has stopped, but they were popular in Europe and only just now is the amount of aftermarket parts for the 675 comparable to what's available for the 600/650's.

Still, if you're after OEM parts without having to pay inflated local prices, www.bikebandit.com is your friend (for any make/model of bike really).
  11. You're spot on flux, the image wasn't working and skim through posts, assumed it was the 675! 1st dumb moment of the day. :oops:
  12. My brother in Perth has a yellow one and it trully is a beautiful bike on the road. He pillions a bit too so they cant be to bad in that department.

Well priced these days too if you're after something a little different.

13. having a look at one tonight.

what are the main things i should be looking out for??

14. Might be worth your while registering and posing your question here:

(after doing a search first, of course).
  15. been looking at triumph forums for the past hour or so. havent been able to find any major issue with the bike. might just take the bike guide listed on NR along
  16. Hi guys, hope it's ok to hijack this forum (?)

I was going to ask a question about the Daytona 600 but thought starting a whole new thread might be a waste of time....

ANYHOW, my question is this: Are these engines good for 60,000km plus ? What is likely to be the issue(s) when getting up there in k's ?

I'm asking on behalf of a friend of mine who isn't a NR member and doesn't know much about the longevity of this particular engine. That said, there doesn't seem to be a bad word said about the bike in general.

Personally (I'll apologise to any Trumpy owners in advance) I have been trying to sway him the way of the V-Twin, ie an SV650S or similar.

His argument is that he wants something a bit different, without being ridiculous, and these seem to be well priced with a few (high-ish) km's on them.

Is a service history essential with these ? I've never worried too much personally, but then I haven't owned lots of bikes and I've usually summed the bike up on it's own merits and by guaging the present owner etc.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
  17. Service history is essential when buying anything. The higher the kms, the more important it is. Sure the trumpy 600 is different, but different also means more to insure, less aftermarket parts available, less people who can service it properly, more expensive to service, maintain, insure, etc.

Any decently maintained engine should be good for 150k with normal servicing. When buying dont just consider if its ok now, consider how many kms you will be putting on it before you're going to sell it. If you're going to keep it for 2 years and you do 20k per year, if you're starting with 6, it'll be 100 when you sell it - at which point it will be very difficult to sell it, and if you do manage to - you'll be selling it for crackers.

But if you intend to run it into the ground, and its got a full service history and you feel it hasn't been thrashed and its still good to ride, thats the situation when buying high kms is a good idea.