Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

The time has come

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by raven, Oct 2, 2010.

1. CAUTION : The time has come

It's a drop-dead gorgeous day here in Melbourne, heralding in the longer days and brilliant riding conditions.

So!... To those of you facing your first summer, or your second and looking to strut your stuff.
    There are new dangers for you to face.

Riders will be everywhere! Of all levels and abilities.
    It is therefore paramount that you understand where you fit within the riding ranks, and never before has it been more critical for you to RIDE YOUR OWN RIDE!

Don't follow other riders blindly, get suckered in to going faster, or getting beyond your own level of ability, because you THOUGHT you could keep up, ride as good, or were better than others around you. By the time you realize you aren't...it's usually too late, and YOU are the one in ambulance.

You have no idea what these other riders are or are not capable of!

You could be trying to tag along with an A grade racer who is out for a casual ride, or a Gino who has hit the open road for the first time on his thou, and has no clue what he's doing.!!

It could be 'me' (for instance) having a slow down rest, that your trying to get a pass on, that allows you through and who may appear in your mirrors later on. That doesn't mean that because you passed me earlier, that you HAVE to stay ahead of me.
    Or it could be a less experienced guy than you, that might get a fright when YOU go past.
    Assume nothing about the riders around you. They might have an L plate but know the road very well!
    There are all sorts of enticements for you to get beyond your ability, VERY quickly.

So don't get cocky, or let your ego rule you through weak mindedness...
    RIDE SMART....Suss things out, refresh your own skills before you start trying to show others how good you are. Learn from what these other riders are doing, when possible, and keep your head in the game ALL THE TIME.
    it ain't over till your back home and the bike is turned off.

Enjoy the summer and remember- "FOOLS RUSH IN". Don't be one of them!

Fair warning - go ride your ride and enjoy the coming summer. :))
    Hopefully, I'll see you out there.

John

• Like Like x 4
  2. Excellent advice there John!

3. Bloody great advice

4. Between Rob and John there's been some really excellent posts lately about riding and technique - really appreciate it guys.

Fantastic to see some positive posts happening :D

5. good stuff, mate, especially

It could be 'me' (for instance) having a slow down rest, that your trying to get a pass on, that allows you through and who may appear in your mirrors later on. That doesn't mean that because you passed me earlier, that you HAVE to stay ahead of me.

=D>

6. Yes indeed mate...it's such a classic error in judgment.

So many guys I come up on, speed up to keep me behind them. I sit back and watch them ride beyond their limits, and get themselves into real serious trouble in a corner. THEN, I can pass them, coz they've finally worked it out.

I like the competitive spirit, it's fun!... But it's no good exceeding ones limits.
    I've learnt to recognize pretty early, when a rider has the goods on me, and I just let them go...it's better for everyone.

John

7. +1, definitely. takes a bit of pride swallowing but that's cheaper than an accident.

Raven, what would you say to following someone who's only doing a couple k's quicker than you? ie, when do the danger boundaries begin to appear? 5% beyond your comfortable pace? 10%? etc.

8. Slow and steady wins the race ;)

9. Alot variables involved, Lilley. Maybe too many to be able to a answer correctly.

So. Let's consider a scenario...you're riding enthusiastically but within yr max limits.
    I would recommend matching the pace, and practicing riding your own ride, while another bike is in vicinity. See how his and your styles differ. Be the observer- watch lines, braking points, power levels, gearing. If it's a reasonable match to your own, then dog the rider and enjoy the feel of riding another in your ability range.

If the other picks up the pace beyond your comfort levels, then just drop off. He may slow to allow you to rejoin, if he considers you favorably, or will be gone.

Since we should all ride at least 10% under our max ability, we can only keep with riders if the difference is within that percentile, generally speaking.

The prob for noobs is that they may not actually know their limits properly, which creates a serious situation, so they need to rely on COMFORT LEVEL.
    if they stick to that, they'll remain inside the safety zone.

If you are somewhat experienced, but still learneing, then I say go for it up to around that 10% level, and put yourself to the test, so you learn and progress. Try a passing move if it feels good, and lead for a while-see if the other rider is happy to follow and be prepared for a passing move from him :)

John

Scuse spelling.

10. Great post and understood, I also appreciate faster riders that after passing me (I move aside when it's safe) that give you a friendly wave!

Cheers

11. Great advice John, I was out on Boneo Rd today, bloody brillliant, just love the social hub that is Arthur's Seat on a sunny Melbourne day

12. As said above by the many others who have already (and those who will) an excellent post John.
    After watching the Pies destroy the Saints (Carn the Pies ;) ), it was too good a day to NOT head out for a quick ride, Kinglake, in my case.
    Most seemed to behave but (unfortunately) there were some who appeared to' unleash hell', as was commanded by Maximus !!!
    Your post has definitely served as a Cautionary Reminder, inevitably 'screwing' all and sundry's head into a controlled reality. For this, I thank you also, sincerely.
    Here's to memorable, enjoyable and commaraderie-filled riding adventures. Bring on summer !

13. Great post John and a great reminder, especially for peeps like me who are just getting back into riding. I'm too much of a survivalist to follow outside my boundaries though :)
    Bring on summer indeed!

14. Just got home from a FLUX ride, we all rode within our limits and survived. But I just saw on the news that there were three bike deaths today. A Harley rider near Swan Hill, a group rider on Boneo Rd and a pillion in a motocycle accident with a van in Narre Warren. Sheesh!

15. good advice john.

i went for my first 'big' ride today since march, when i wrote my last bike off. i was on dads bike so taking it a bit steady, but i felt much more confident by the end.

i found, when i saw someone getting close in the mirrors, id just move over, and if they wanted to go past, they had heaps of room.

there were plenty of cops round healsville, i was licensed checked and breatho'd, and give n some quality reading material :p

ride safe, everyone!

16. Bloody hell! Grrrreat day for one of Stews adventures. :)
    I was home crook so I envy you heaps!

Meh! They come out in droves and straight away the cops get all the justification they need. Sad for the deaths... Shouldn't bloody happen:-((

John

17. This is so true, I have permanent reminders on my hand NOT to try and keep up with the pack. Finally getting back on a bike after 6 months off recovering and i shall definitely RIDE MY OWN RIDE. Leave the attitude/ego at home.

18. Good points from you blokes looking to get back to riding after an extended period off the bike, for whatever reason.(I myself am in this category)

In my head, I have the "trained bike memory", but the connection to the body is missing. I am going to have to give my body and brain copious amounts of time and indulgence to "rebuild the connections".

Sure!, I can ride... But...my spidy-senses are dulled and the reaction times subdued, so I will be rebuilding slowly but surely, assuming that my injuries even allow it.

So I hit the streets eyes wide open, taking it easy, and nervous at not being able to be pin-sharp as I am used to.

But at least, I'm riding...albeit in relative baby steps...

John

19. Darling - WOW and I mean WOW what a delicious thread........you have left this little biscuit completely rhapsodic...

Sweetie, I'm going to bare my soul and take a leap of faith with you, on occasions your posts come across as a little self serving, giving the impression that your a little pompous and preachy............

But my dear fellow, you have the ability with some posts to redeem yourself, for that I applaud you. Sage advice, that one would hope won't fall upon deaf ears...

...pumpkin, I will add one more thing......lack of humility combined with the inflation in the belief of one's talents has been the curse of many a rider both good and bad.

20. Timely thread.

Several times I've had less experienced riders follow and later give the 'I know the bike could do it because I could see you in front' justification for pushing their limits. The cockier new riders seem to forget the time you need experience is when things go wrong, not when they're going right.. If that makes sense.