Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

The ten most dangerous jobs in the world

Discussion in 'The Pub' at netrider.net.au started by Jaqhama, Jun 26, 2006.

1. This question relates to motorcycling couriering on another thread.

I googled the latest list and it came up with some real shite, mostly American based.
    They suggested logging was the number one most dangerous job and coal mining was number two.
    That's just crap, here is what the list used to be as I remember it from some years ago.

#1...Diver on North Sea Oil Rig platforms and production rigs.

#2...Bomb Disposal including clearing land mines.

#3...Anyone on active front-line military duty in a war zone.
    (For many years it was as a squaddie patrolling the streets of Northern Ireland.)

#4...Oil rig fire suppresion teams, ie: the famous Red O'Daire Hellfighters.

#5...Working in a South African gold mine, longest fatality free period in the 80's was 35 days.

#6...London motorcycle courier. Sometimes listed as any large European city.

#7...Used to be a Police Officer in certain parts of New York, ie: the Bronx and Harlem.

#8...Underwater Navy Clearence Divers. More die in training accidents than actually on operation.

#9...The PJ's of the American Airforce, the para-rescue lads.

#10...Used to be high rise construction workers, before the days of safety harnesses. Spidermen they used to be called in the UK.

If anyone can find a more updated list, that doesn't begin with rubbish like logging and coal mining, go for it.

I'm not saying those occupations cannot be dangerous, but they are way down the list compared to say; Oil rig fire suppression teams.

And there is unlikely to be a more hazardous proffession that a diver in the North Sea. The fatality rate often appears small, but one must remember only a small group of people do it.

2. the two most dangerous i can think of are-

mine worker in china.

and worse still-

private contractor in iraq, civilian or working in a security detail. nasty.

3. One that comes to my mind is :
    Alaskin King Crab fishing

You can only go out for EIGHT weeks a year in the Middle of the Artic sea and only allowed to keep the MALE crabs of a certain size, on average they loose 4 mutli million boats and 2 deckhands killed each year. ( on an 8 week trip ). i've seen doco's on this and the US coastgaurd has TWO rescue helicopters in the air at all times during the season, and has up to six cuters on station in the area as well !!
    The crew can earn up to 50k each in those 8 weeks and the skippers 150k. But working 20/21 hr shifts each day with sub zero temps/ice and 20foot swells ! I think i'll stick with working on tractors lol

http://www.dailynewarticles.com/article/453/5064/Crab_Fishing_in_Alaska_Fishing_for_Riches.html

4. Netrider Moderator :LOL:

5. I've got two mates doing private security (read merc) work in Iraq now.

They're loving it, real wild west stuff, $10,000 Oz a week.

Admittedly you have to have a certain errr aptitude for adrenelin. :LOL:

Don't ask me why they're doing it, I understand completly but guys not in our business don't.

6. Linemarker

Try sitting on the Melba highway stradilling the edge line (so blocking half a lane) and getting semis and b-doubles locking up behind you at 100 kmh when Im doing 2-3kmh cause they either dont have a radio or dont care. In the 2 years I did it I got hit 7 times and there where about 30 deaths considering there are about 1500 linemakers in the country thats a decent percentage

7. Try driving a truck or working in a shop in the good ole' US of A....

"According to the U.S. Department of Labor, truck drivers had more fatal injuries than any other occupation, with 762 deaths last year.Homicide was the second leading cause of job-related deaths, accounting for 16 percent of the total. Robbery was the primary motive for workplace homicide. About half of the victims worked in retail establishments, such as grocery stores, restaurants and bars, where cash is readily available. (31,000 convenience store clerks are shot every year.) Taxicab drivers, police and security guards also had high numbers of worker homicides. Four-fifths of the victims were shot; others were stabbed, beaten or strangled."

8. I used to work on tower cranes ,there the large cranes you see on top for a building while being built.
    I was climbing down the tower one day ,say about 50 storys high over the city and got dizzy and triped ,as i fell about 2 meters, on the way down all i could see was the edge on the tower and a 50 story drop to the street and death at the bottom ,broke 2 rids and never went back up again.
    That was 10 years ago ,i only drive 20 story cranes now ,much safer.
    :LOL:

9. bloody 'ell jaq. you 'remembered' all of THAT!!! that's some memory mate :shock:

hmmm. and there i was thinking you were a journo/pro writer!?!?! i guess everyone's gotta suplement their income somehow :wink:

10. Bugger...don't like the sound of this,

"Airplane pilots have the third most dangerous occupation, with a death rate of 101 per 100,000. Nearly all of these deaths resulted from small-plane crashes..........."

Note to self: - Must get bigger plane -

11. notice half of them are government jobs :)

12. don't worry i think everyone understands, it's damn good money, to good to refuse for most people.

13. I don't understand :?

100 x an average days wage

but,

100,000,000,000,000 x the chance of getting killed at work, or getting on a bus, or just walking down the street...........

It's a no-brainer for me. Stay home!

14. I'd have to vote for chinese mine workers too, although the number of people in mines as a per capita ratio of the population is probably much the same as other countries, but the safety standards appear to be non-existent. And the deaths we hear about are only the deaths we hear about, if you know what I mean.

And I've seen the doco on those crab fishermen; it's like something out of an Alistair McLean novel.....

But surely the most dangerous job in the world is to come on Netrider and reveal that you ride a Harley :LOL: :LOL:

15. or a scooter :LOL:

16. meanwhile, what are the stats on stunt riders???? or does that come under a separate thread of most dangerous sports???

17. It's not realy about the money at all mate, though doubtless many blokes use that as the excuse or reason when asked why they do it.
    It's more about putting into practice everything you've learned in theory.
    It's also about living on the edge, it's also about proving to yourself that you've got the bottle to get the job done.
    It's very hard to explain, I've been in the private security business all my life. In my younger days I actively sought out the more errr adventurous contracts I could find.
    It's a buzz, the Biz (as my UK mates would say). The fact that the money was, and is, often quite good is just a bonus.
    I've slowed down a lot in me old age. :LOL:
    I've had the offer to do private work in Saudi and Iraq, also in PNG and some other exotic places. I'm kicking myself I did not take a Brunei offer ten years ago, blokes I know who did made enough money in a couple of years that they've never had to work again.
    Though they do because they get bored easily. :LOL:
    There are at least two UK security companies operating in Iraq for almost two years now who have a great track record, I think one of them has not lost an operator at all.
    It's because they are very professional, some of the USA companies lose someone every month. They tend to be too gung ho.

18. Just like Vietnam many years ago, and for the same reasons.....

19. I was told a story from a mate of mine who was visiting a construction site in south east Asia. A bamboo scafold was being used and it was tied together with string. Anyhow my mate asked does anyone get injured on the scafold as there was no safety harnesses etc. Anyhow he was told it was not a problem at all as they can have them replaced within an hour!!!

I guess a diff way at looking at employee relations!!!

20. I love writing Carri (as you've doubtless realised :LOL: ) at the moment I'm classed as a semi-professional writer.
    One day I hope to get a novel published, but for now I'm happy writing for those webzines and a few magazines.
    You're well on the way yourself mate. I have the dubious pleasure of editing quite a few stories for people and trust me when I say you've got the talent all right.