Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

News The Suter MMX 500 is an all new 576cc V4 2-Stroke

Discussion in 'Motorcycling News' started by NetriderBot, Sep 30, 2015.

1. It may be the year 2015 but that hasn’t stopped Swiss company Suter Racing Technology from producing a machine that harks back to the glory days of 500cc GP racing. Called the Suter MMX 500, the 576cc V4 engine produces 195 horsepower yet weighs only 127 kg. Yes, that’s a power to weight ratio of 1.53 bhp per kilogram.

Suter Racing claims that the MMX 500 is the first ever V4 500cc two-stroke factory bike for the public. It’s actually been a long and arduous journey for the machine – it was first supposed to be sold as a Paton back in 2009 but that fell through. A few years later Suter tried to sell it under their own name as the SRT 500, but now it actually has finally made it to market. Since then it’s undergone further refinement and work to what it is today.

It’s been worth the wait. The frame is a CNC machined aluminium twin spar design with completely adjustable steering, wheelbase and ride height and the swingarm is also a fully adjustable aluminium member. Front and back features Öhlins suspension – both adjustable for pre-load, compression & rebound damping. The fairing is completely carbon fibre and for extra weight saving you can even get the wheels in magnesium.

But as impressive as that is, the real star of the show is the engine. The two stroke V4 features a double counter rotating crankshaft, 56 x 58.5 bore/stroke with redline of 13,000 rpm. All this is mated to a six speed cassette gearbox. Suter state the top speed is somewhere in excess of 310 kp/h…

Currently, only 99 of these machines are expected to be built which isn’t surprising given the asking price is 120,000 Swiss Francs (around $123,000 USD). But given this is nothing short of a state of the art two-stroke GP bike, it’s actually pretty good value.

Source: Suter Racing Technology

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Continue reading...
  2. will this be lams approved?
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Yummmmm, I loves me two-smokes
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. Possibly. I've heard rumours the Ninja HR is going to get a LAMS version too.
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Bugga!

I want one, but I'd have to save up for the next 50 or 60 years to be able to afford the price.
  6. if I win the lotto, I am so buying one!
  7. Love 2 bangers.
    Im hoping that in the next decade, with bike makers starting to further use and develop direct injection systems, we see the re-emergence of mass produced, high powered 2 stroke road bikes.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. why not just claim they pass emissions?
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. or do a Volkswagen.....

Fit a big battery, code the ECU that when it is on a test bed, only the electric starter motor turns the engine..... zero emissions, anyone?
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. That's a clever idea. I'm going to trade mark it :)
  11. whats the weight and power of BMW's S1000R for a comparison? or hondas RC213V-S?
  12. BMW's S1000RR It has a wet weight of 207.7 kg (458 lb), and produces 133.6 kW (179.2 hp) @ 13,250 rpm[2] at the rear wheel. According to Wiki
  13. I'm tipping the 127kg quoted for the Suter is a dry weight. The Beemer claims 183kg dry weight
  14. They are pretty good figures, My bike is a claimed 205hp on 166.5kg dry 195 kg wet, so that weight is seriously light even for dry weight
  15. Perhaps the ideal christmas present for those that missed out on the Honda RC213-S or the Ducati Desmosedici RR?

Then again those that can afford this bike probably also have those two already...