Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

The state of Aussie Cricket

Discussion in 'The Pub' at netrider.net.au started by port80, Dec 29, 2007.

1. So the Aussies have just bundled up India in four days, winning their 15th Test in a row. It looked hard going on the first day, but from there on they looked in control. There was no McGrath, no Warne, no Langer and Ponting did bother the scorers too much. Still the Aussies managed to win by 350 odd runs. It's true India didn't get much practice in Australian conditions before this Test, but I doubt the result would have changed even if this weren't true.

It amazes me how much excellent talent there is in Australian Cricket at this time. Lee is twice the bowler he was 18 months ago, more accurate, smarter and getting many more key wickets. Clark has slotted into McGrath's spot very nicely (4 for 28 in the first innings - I'll take that any day of the week). Johnson and Hogg even ended up with a couple in the second innings.

Then there is the batting line up. Hayden's 124 was brilliant on a pitch everybody but Jaques struggled on in the first innings. Pontings combined total of 7 for both innings was very much a rarity, his form over the last couple of years has been astonishing. The last twelve months in particular has put him in a class of his own, Hussey in my mind a close second (more so in the ODI's).

It was good work by Kumble to take five good wickets in an innings, that helped keep the game alive for that bit longer but still the Aussies won this Test much like they have won the last 14. The way they played this match I felt was a step above their normally high level. Their plans kept on paying off, they played a smart and skillful game.

I really hope India can get some more practice in before Sydney, I look forward to seeing the Aussies pushed a little harder. Despite the huge margin it has been great game to follow.

2. It just proves what we have come to know; ANY team can huff and puff about who they've beaten, at home or anywhere else, but when they come HERE and face Lee and Hayden and Co at home, they just can't cut it. England declared in Adelaide last season after scoring 500+ and we hounded them down like lame ducks and shot them to death!!

3. I'd be the first to put my hand up & give some batting practice
    for any Indian, Paki or Lankan.

Line em up..

10_9_133.

4. kick.
    you nasty white censored. !
    stop picking on coloured people!
    box2.

5. bloody oath, i didnt get to see too much of this game since i dont have any telly atm, but the last couple of tests in november were awesome to watch.

wtf is with ole mate warny's comments about that he made last week? saying something like that ponting should retire (thats what i recall the media reporting) is just rediculous when he is at the top of his game as a batsman and as a captain.

6. I don't recall anything like that? Perhaps Warne's comment about Clarke being ready to take Vice Captain responsibilities over Gilchrist?

Speaking of Gilly, he gave a great interview at the end of the match, proving that cricket is far from a game of chance.

7. yeah my bad, it was about gilchrist, i got the two confused. :facepalm:
    i still rekon gilchrist has a few years left in him yet.

8. Rather than starting a new thread...

You'll need Sopcast, but :grin: the cricket's on!

sop://broker.sopcast.com:3912/38822

9.  Top
  10. :LOL: Greece plays cricket?

...with Sopcast you get Bollywood actresses in the commercial breaks :twisted: :LOL:

11. Yeah, but who wants to watch a match when the result's a foregone conclusion.

Having a good team isn't the be all and end all of cricket being in a healthy state. And I'm starting to think that it might actually be a problem.

And the bloody idiot Pom who made the decision to declare against Australia should be shot for incompetence :grin: .

12. Yeah, but who wants to watch a match when the result's a foregone conclusion.

Having a good team isn't the be all and end all of cricket being in a healthy state. And I'm starting to think that it might actually be a problem.

And the bloody idiot Pom who made the decision to declare against Australia should be shot for incompetence :grin: .

13. Well somebody forgot to tell India that they are meant to loose this Test. It's a very different performance to Melbourne a week ago.

Doesn't help that the Aussies batted in the worse of the conditions, non the less India didn't make 500 by pure luck.

14. The state of aussie cricket looks good; I have some anostostoma australasiae in my back yard and they are happily chirping away all day :p

15. :rofl:

Wish I had said that :LOL:.

16. Go the Aussies!!! :)

Love it that we finally have a challenge though

17. We have a game! It'll be tough from here for India and it doesn't look like Clark is going to offer them any assistance. Now this is cricket :)

18. 3/54, Tendulkar out for 12!!!

19. Great win :cool:

Another World Record :!:

20. pharken hell what an awesome finish to the game. michael clarke was bloody unlucky not to get a hatrick