Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

N/A | National The Speed Lie - Cash cow

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by blocka, Dec 20, 2010.

1. Just a little something I posted on facebook in reply to a friend. It comes from the built up frustration of continually seeing the sheep baa the governments catch line, "SPEED KILLS" at every report of an accident. Really prevalent on the comments section of the Queensland Police Service's status updates or any online paper comments section.

2. A work colleague sent me this today. I thought it was a very interesting read and basically confirms what a lot of people consider to be true...

Attached Files:

3. Come on mate, calling someone "a motorcyclist" is just like saying they are "a handome sportsman, with a quick wit, dazzling smile, and an incredible allure to the ladies".

You need to be a bit clearer than that :)

Interesting piece BTW. He seems to nicely dispense with the usual blather that some carry on with, while still making a solid point.
  4. I totally agree with the views in these articles. I'm not in the police force but have a few friends who are. They concur on this issue. They even explained the use of the Speed factor. It's a case of Symantics. For a collision to occur, the vehicles must have been travelling, therefore there is a speed at which the impact took place. Police are required to estimate the speed of the impact. WHen the statistics go to the government, they use the term Speed was a contributing factor" What they fail to mention is that the impact often occurs at speeds below the speed limit in the area. What they don't say, in order to avoid outright lying is that "Speeding" was a contributing factor. In truth less than 5% of fatalities and less than 5% of serious accidents involve "Speeding". I'm not advocating speeding, but do believe that in many areas the speed limit is too low. "Ban low performance motorists not high performance machines!"
  5. I believe this has something to do with the form the police fill out when an accident is investigated. From what I'm led to believe they (the police) are left with little choice than to tick the box that says "Speed involved - YES"
  6. Do we know what happened in this case?
  7. I feel stupider for watching that.
  8. The report doesn't (at least in Qld) require them to enter speed as a factor but to guess the speed. And with the widespread use of ABS that's basically a wild arse guess.

The "speed lie" isn't really about the enforcement side of the issue. Yes governments make some money but they spend a lot to get that revenue. And in most states it's tied, at least in part, to funding road improvements. The lie is related to the whole speed kills argument. The draconian enforcement of speed isn't about revenue it's based on the belief that we need to change behaviors in relation to speed to save lives. Since education failed (graphic ads) we have set about with the only known way to regulate free choice, to put a cost to it. This works well for politicians since they can be seen to do something about road safety without committing anything to it.

Australian, and American for that matter, speed limits are about saving money nothing else. The speed limits recognise deficiencies in existing infrastructure and provide cheaper new infrastructure (because design speeds are 110 for 100 etc). This tightens curves and reduces minimum vertical curve radii (and therefore sight distance needs). Even this is often not met and effectively the design will rely on the attributes of the vehicle more than physical design. Of course modern (younger than say 10 years) vehicles rolling on good tyres are capable of operating at far higher speeds on most roads. But there are still a lot of older vehicles in the fleet and no real attempt to remove them.

On last point - most of the design standards are based on performance measurements undertaken almost 40 years ago. There hasn't been funding for a long time (here or overseas) to undertake comprehensive data gathering and calibration.