Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

the scourge that is - Caravans on holidays!

Discussion in 'Your Near Misses - A Place to Vent' started by skarekrow, Jan 7, 2010.

1. So, i'm riding along at 4pm yesterday arvo (Wednesday) on Meadowlands Rd, to those who know it in Brisbane. It's a simple 4 lane road, with a grassed median separating the 2 directions of traffic.
    60 km/h speed limit is quite good for cruising so i pull out to go around the falcon in front of me doing about 50. I go past and also proceed to pass the 4wd towing a caravan in front of him. As i get alongside, about equal to the back of the 4wd, it starts moving into my lane!!!!
    Alright, i though, surely he just hasn't seen me. He'll notice in a sec and move back into his lane. But no, he just kept on coming! :furious:
    No indicator, no check of his ridiculously oversized mirros hanging of the front bonnet of the 4wd, nothing. [-X I grab a fistful of brakes and drop back behind in time.
    I'm a bit shaken by this and in the moment forgot to use the horn - which might have alerted him. Would this have caused him to swerve and been more dangerous though??

At least the falcon guy saw what happened, he looked at me and raised his hand, and shook his head in the direction of the caravanner.
    Crazy stuff. As i went past in the left hand turn lane to turn off the road, i used the horn. Gave the lady in the passenger seat a fright :eek:

How many of you are finding that the holidays are worse than normal peak hour traffic????
  2. So you were expecting HIM to see you rather than make yourself as visible as possible, you have a horn, a throttle and better observational skills yet you WAITED for him to see you.
    What have you learned from this? As next time it will be a semi baring down on you.
  3. You're driving along when all of a sudden some dick in a 4wd cuts you off.

Attached Files:

• dick.
      File size:
      34.9 KB
  4. no offence smee, but in the 2 seconds i had to brake i wasn't about to play with the horn and see what kind of reaction i would get from the guy - for all i know he might have tried to swerve away and collected me with the caravan.

And i don't know how much more visible i can be, unless i need to swerve back and forth across my lane so some boofhead who should check his surroundings before changing lanes can see me?
    A bright green kawasaki isn't exactly the "blend in to surroundings" type bike.

The throttle on a klx250 wouldn't have done much, there was about 100000m of 4wd and caravan to get past in not a lot of time. Unless you know where to stick a NOS bottle on a trailbike, braking was the only option!
  5. you can honk WHILE braking btw :)
    people WILL cut you off, without even looking...thats the fun of motorbiking. So make sure you do EVERYTHING from your side to make yourself noticable PLUS be in a position to react if anything gets messy.
    And the most important part.......NEVER ASSUME...BE SURE!!! :|

I had been told in one of my posts here that its too Indian to put a dual horn on my bike, but guess what, that pair of Hella comes in handy in exactly these kind of situations :)

Anyways, good to know that you are safe. Happy riding :)

@grange... LOL :p
  6. You did the right thing, traffic is pretty ordinary this time of year. Don't stress about it, because I can guarantee it will happen again. The only remedy for these situations is a stonking ridiculous beast of a motorcycle that will throw you off the back for even thinking about twisting the throttle. Then put an aftermarket can on it.
  7. I know this is O/T but the biggest scourge of the holidays for me is the young tossers who live down the end of my street riding their loud, unregistered mini bikes and trail bikes past my house at way over the posted limit for a suburban street.

Oh for some road spikes...
  8. I know this situation wasn't in the country, but just a word of warning to everyone. When overtaking more than one vehicle on a country road, be aware that it is very possible that the rear vehicle will also pull out to overtake the vehicle in front.

When people are planning an overtake in the country, they tend to focus on the car they want to overtake, and any traffic coming towards them. They often forget that something might be behind them. I've seen this so often.

So please be extra careful overtaking when there is more than one vehicle to get past.
  9. Yesterday a 4wd towing a carvan down kangaroo valley decided to straight line a little S bend part, i had seen him and moved way over to the left, and was in no danger, didnt stop him doing it but despite clearly seeing a bike in the lane
  10. It was a caravan - what else could you expect? I'm in total agreement wiht Clarkson, Hammond and the other one on the subject of caravans. Always driven by stupid people who drive outside town once a year.
  11. blah ..blah ..blah... lets bag caravans, I have towed a caravan around Australia and clocked up some serious kilometres and let me tell you, some motorcyclists could do with lessons on how to overtake.

We can't spend every second looking in the rear view mirror, some of our time is required to look in the direction we are travelling, I have had motorbikes come up behind me and sit so close that unless I waggled the caravan I couldn't see them, only to have them slingshot out and around with little room to spare...The solution is a simple one, be seen and if possible heard, we (as caravaners) don't want to get in your way and we surely don't want to have to scrape you or your bike of our side walls. The best result for us is if you get passed safely and quickly so that you don't suffer from impatience (or small dick syndrome) and we don't have to spend every second checking our mirrors to see if you plan something stupid....

p.s I also own a 4WD...and ride a cruiser... doG.. I must be an asshole.
  12. Well nobby, it is funny how bikers complain that everyone else on the road complains about them being on a bike, then bikers complain about everyone else on the road too.

Like a 4wder might complain that they have been cut off by idiots on bikes, and then people on bikes seem to complain about everyone on the road, 4wd's, trucks, caravans, buses, taxis, bicycles, and every other car out there.

The road's there to share.
  13. Tis very true Andyroo, and it don't matter a monkeys toss who it is or what they are on or in ..
    as long as they don't try to steal the bit of road I am currently using... life is good.
  14. Nobby - it's not about needing to look in the mirrors every second. But a start would be when changing lanes!!! And maybe using that funny little stalk on the side of the steering wheel, which is increasingly never used.
    The guy had the strap on extended mirrors as well. So all i can guess is that he simply didn't even think.
    Maybe if more caravanners drove with common sense like you sound like you do, it wouldn't be such a problem. But sadly, common sense and courtesy are getting very rare to find these days.
  15. Thanks Skarekrow, wouldn't say I drive/ride with common sense all the time, I have a little speed devil that gets in my head on occasions and he is bloody hard to ignore when I am on the bike.
    This is not directed at you as I don't know you personally nor do I know your road use history, but I am often amazed at how many (motorbike only) road users who believe everybody is out to do them harm.I guess what I am saying is if the motorbike only operators are continually getting involved in near misses then perhaps they should look at what they are doing..
    Again mate not directed at you, just an observation..
  16. No worries nobby. Some would say that the safest way to ride is believe that everyone else is out to do you harm, and just be hyper aware of what is happening around you. This is the first time i've had such a close call in quite a few years of riding, so it's not a common occurrence!
    But that extra level of awareness and caution is what keeps a lot of riders safe - although from the behaviour of some riders i see it's not always common sense.