Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

The sad reality of what we do

Discussion in 'Multimedia' at netrider.net.au started by Sir Skuffy, Jul 5, 2007.

1. Hi All,

Whether you are a cautious rider, a racer or a weekend warrior.... This is a wakeup call for all of us. Everyday we hear about accidents and incidents associated with bikes and the sadness of fatalitles.

This 10minute movie is one that may help us all realise the grim reality that we are not the only ones on the road.... That it is not always our fault. But, where-ever the blame lies, non of it really matters in the end... Does it....

http://www.livevideo.com/video/Maxx...39BE3E/requiem-for-a-biker.aspx?m_tkc=2081269

Please be safe out there. Ride slow in built up areas....... Dont ride too close to the white line on the twisties..... Simply, use common sense and ride within your own abilities and the conditions and environment you ride.

God bless.....

2. Johnny Cash singing Trent Reznor.... Great voice but I still prefer the original.

3. His version of The Mercy Seat was impeecable though...

4. Very sobering video.

5. Having heard Cash's version first, before the original by Trent, I'm the other way around. Cash's version of the song does give me goosebumps every time I hear it. Trent's version sounds forced to me, almost like someone just trying to be emo. Can listen to Cash's version and almost feel an entire lifetime of really painful memories coming through by someone who knows his life is almost at an end. It was the last song that Cash recorded.

It's all a little too real for me at the moment. This recent crash has affected me. I find myself far more affected by scenes and images of people getting hurt than I used to. Don't know what changed all of a sudden. I can see something, and it's no longer a case of not really knowing the amount of pain they'd be going through. I know it. It's all too real and I can almost feel it with them.

6. That a very well made vid that really opens your eyee up :shock:

7. that was probably one of the best tributes to fallen riders and the best warning video i have seen in a long time.

RIP

8. Johnny Cash is great his voice shows the years of pain that he has endured. There is nothing like a vocie that has been stripped of it's youthful energy by too many smokes, late nights, beers and of course singing. Whilst i enjoyed the 9" version JC's version is the one that really brings alive the words and gives me goosebumps.

But again :shock: to that clip.

9. Yes, it is about Opening Our Eyes.....

when I look back through my riding there are a few things that stick to my mind the most:

Hit by a car 3 times
    Big crash in 99
    Close call on a possible headone with a BMW

But the ones that stick the most are the ones I was able to stay-upright......

Hugging the whiteline in the twisties..... Leaning the bike over as far as possible. Tyres inches from the lines, body hanging tensely on the other side of the lines.... but, it is not the other side of the lines I am hanging over.... I am hanging between life and death....... A bus suddenly comes around the bend 1 foot over the lines...... I am looking ahead and suddenly I am upright, leaning in the other direction gently on the brakes..... Bus passes and I pitch straight back into the corner.....

Why do i remember this the most...... I never had time to panic.... I just reacted...... I was so focused on riding fast that the thought of the impact did not hit until 30 minutes later..... I carried on riding, hard and fast...... happy, excited and full of adrenelin..... I stopped, for a smoke ... it was then I started crying.... it was then that my years flashed before me and the loved ones I would leave behind.... It was that moment that I saw faces of those left behind and I could not stop crying......

Life is tender and precious and it is something to be savoured and cherrished. If I had not made it around that corner - I would be a statistic - merely a smudge on the road of riders passing. Was at fault, yes, 100%..... Did I know about the consequences, yes, I have heard many a story of people being collected that way.

So, if this video is too real to watch for any reason - then you must watch it..... The pounding of your heart, the cold tingles down your spine..... These are the feelings you should be having..... This is a message we must all pass onto other riders.....

10. This has been affecting you for a while, hasn't it Mitch? You know what they say... You don't get old, you just get scared.

Time for you and Stew to buy hers-n-hers Harleys? :p

...still, I know what you mean, and if you concentrate on the risks, and the consequences we face, hard road riding looks like a f*cking foolish choice. You know what though? Soon as you're out there on the road, you've suddenly got the nerve, the faith in your skills, perception and reflexes, the passion to have a crack at it.

The day that faith disappears, time to hang up the ol' boots.

11. Mate, I watched it. Watched all of it. I really felt every bit of it. There's a difference between watching something and being sobered by it, like going from zero realisation to some realisation, as opposed to watching something and being almost overwhelmed by the memories 'cos you're still living there at this moment and instead you're going from living the realisation to feeling every single excruciating detail of it like a crushing wave.

12. I agree with you Loz.... This has been plauging me for a number of years......

When I used to race enduro and Motard, I had this ritual - yes it is absurd - I would close my eyes and pray. I prayed silently to look after those dear to me and to ensure they are taken care-f "incase". I would cross myself and then ride.... As you put it, into the zone immediately...... I am still here, who knows why, maybe just lucky

Everytime I go riding with the guys I never ride at 100% anymore, not for a long long time... Every one of my rides I start in fear........ But, as you described, you get into the "zone" and you forget all around you and then you focus on......

"tight corner coming up".......

"sit up and squeeze the brakes....."....

"a little harder...... start tipping"......

"Body needs to be a little futher over.... let go of the rear break and pit my toes on the peg...... lean a little more......"......

"into the corner, look look GAS......."..........

"get ya but of the seat and jump onto the left side.............".......

That is what happens... When I went on a long ride with Roarin from Melb to Sydney and home again over three days.... We hit some magnificent roads.... Andrew on the 400 and me on the 1400.... And on many occassions I was able to wrestly the big beast and keep up with Andrew...... So, I guess it all comes down to time on bike and maturing alot faster than the average person... We are forced to.....

Anyway, enough rambling - back to work.

13. Great vid.
    I had trouble eating my lunch while watching that.
    It really hits home

14. I've said it before & I'll say it again. I reckon riding a bike safely & fast is about 99% in your head. Two people can have exactly the same skill level yet one can ride maybe 10-20% faster & still be relatively safe. Why? It can only come down to state of mind. All one has to do is to look to motogp for many examples of this. The current case being young Stoner. Pure mind set in being able to beat Rossi. Think back to Gibernau Versus Rossi. Biaggi versus Rossi. Doohan and Criville.
    I reckon the same circumstances exist in road riding as well. Not in beating other riders but in just challenging yourself. The trick is that as you get older you realise that some days it's just not in you to ride how you normally are able to. And back off

15. I won't be hanging up my boots. I'm fortunate. My "sentence" is relatively short compared to many who don't get off as lightly. I just haven't yet gotten to the point where I can adequately disassociate the recent and current experiences and put it behind me. It'll come. It's all part of the healing process.

I've long since outgrown the desire to keep up, to put the bike on the absolute edge on the public road. This is where I feel that anyone who repeatedly does so should get themselves to a race-track. Riding the public road shouldn't be about pushing the limits, and I can honestly say that for as fast as some think that I go on the road, I really am riding with a fair degree of caution that may not be apparent to the casual observer. On the road, I just focus on being smooth and safe, and this recent accident at the track has re-inforced the wisdom of that. I find myself thanking whatever grace that grants me the common sense not to push to that extent on the road.

Still, there's simply no accounting for every single thing that can go wrong though. That's the scary thing, and that's the little nut of reality that we HAVE TO turn a blind eye to in order to ride. For many people, I don't think that they even consider the reality of it. They ride blindly unaware of it. For others who have crashed, they're forced to face it, and must overcome it, or even better, use it as a tool to temper their actions on the road.

The day that we can't ignore the harsh reality any longer, then that's the day we give up riding and instead live in fear.

16. Every day I have to think of the increased risk for riding my bike. Most days I choose to ride. So *if* anything was to happen to me from riding, know that I couldn't live my life caged; that I had to get out there and enjoy whatever time I have. Sure, I try to minimise the risks by working on my skills/awareness, not riding 10/10ths, keeping the bike in good running order and wearing protective gear, but I can't compromise my spirit. Keeping it real with vids like this makes sure I keep it as a choice and not take things for granted.

Thank you, Skuffy :cry:

17. I believe there is an answer out there. In fact it's on a current thread put up by Twainharte here. Scuffy knows all about it because he posted it up a coupla years ago. I used it to change the way I ride (or try to, anyway)
    It is a different headspace to ride in. That's hard for someone who still feels the need to push their limits to accept. How do you know where your limit is, unless you reach it? That's real easy: go and do it on a trackday. Once you've done that, if you've any brains at all you'll realise that road riding doesn't take you anywhere near what you can experience on a track.
    I don't worry about not being able to keep up with others any more. I don't push harder than I feel is right. I also understand that as I get older my reactions are slower and less exact than they used to be. In fact I probably never go past eight tenths these days (that's what having kids does to you :roll:)
    So you need a different set of goals to enjoy road riding, and still stay alive. It's actually very satisfying in it's own way. Plus you get to see your kids when you come home :)

18. Hey Titus,

Wow, I remember that piece.... Glad it could help someone......

Thanks mate.

19. Know what you mean. I've got a 2 year old a new new born now. I can't imagine what it would be like for my partner to have to tell the 2 year old daddy isn't coming home.