Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

The RNP yesterday...

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by mrCAMPO, Feb 22, 2010.

1. Was great to see so many bikes of all sorts, taking the RNP route and just generally enjoying themselves on a rare sunny weekend.

Just wanted to give a heads up as not all enjoyed the cruise. There were 2 serious bike accidents that occured.. They weren't from my crew but riding past we saw how demoralising it was. This was the first time I had seen a major bike accident and it made us all a bit more cautious going back.

Not too sure if it was any of your mates, but I hope to god they are ok and in good spirits..
  2. Not unusual for the RNP, unfortunately. Every Saturday and every Sunday the leather-clad warriors escape the gridlock of Sydney and head south to explore the twisties. But a week of riding through the traffic has not only dulled the senses that they need to have working when riding faster, but also made them way too "antsy" when the curves beckon.

I don't know what the answer is, but it's going to keep happening.
  3. the answer definently isnt reducing the speed limit to 60 and make it unbroken lines from waterfall to otford!

Shame i didnt get to ride yesterday, was a perfect day for it!
  4. well we'll have our cameras out there for the sydney photoshoot ride on march 14th, so if u see us, "SMILE" :D
  5. In Europe, unbroken lines together with "use your own judgement" are the rule.

Unfortunately, the Australian public are too stupid to
    a) use common sense
    b) determine when it is safe to overtake
    c) determine "approproate & safe" speed
    d) merge
    e) walk without leaving the safety of side walks
    f) look left & right before walking
    At least that's what our equally incompetent and stupid "leaders" will have us believe ... and have successfully created over the years with those stupid rules and regulations ... people learned to switch off and stop thinking for themselves.

Since we're obviously all too dumb to operate any sort of motorised vehicle, I say revoke all licenses, replace our vehicles with horse & carriage ... and then rigorously enforce a 5km/h speed limit on all roads. Breaches of said limit will be punishable with 10 years hard labour in a quarry ... that'll save the children ... :)
  6. The answer is experience and leaving 10% as a safety limit,last time I was there I didn't see any corner marshals waving yellow flags so if you cannot see past the apex don't go full throttle till you can,simple answer.Lots of multiple corners as well,first one sucks you in and the next one bits you.I think I also heard its been resurfaced,bit like past the Pie in the Sky,after that got resurfaced suddenly the limit of adhesion was much higher,it was SO HARD to control yourself with so much grip,very easy to run hot into the tight corners
  7. Yes, some resurfacing did take place a year or so ago, from the southern gateway for a few kilometres north, fixing some of the worse parts of the road.
  8. The first time I rode through the park, a rider laid motionless on the Audley Weir. A few kilometers further south, we came across a crashed Ducati and VTR250. So, three down on the first ride, and countless others since, including one that left the sound of final gasps for breath through a broken trachea haunting me for some time.

It's not a place to ride fast, there's too much road side furniture, the variations in corners that double back on each other also seem to catch a lot out. It's a lovely, lovely piece of road and a lot of fun can be had....just needs to be respected.
  9. This was the second time I had been to the RNP, and I agree with TheYak that the road needs to be respected. We had a few R1's and other "supersports" and then there is me with my lil RS125. I can safely say that we still enjoyed the ride considering we were going at a moderate pace.

And Goz, woot a photoshoot! I'd like to bring my 5D.mkII on that day if I'm allowed lol.
  10. It's a wonderful bit of road, but has a few tricky sections. As long as we collectively keep wiping ourselves out along it the gumbyment will continue to strangle the life out of it, and every other popular riding road.

Unfortunately the temptation to push too hard is a very difficult one to resist, particularly if riding with someone who is faster than you (I just took my brand new bike through today with Lilley, who makes that Hyo look like a much better bike than it is on those roads. Had to keep reminding myself that the last thing I wanted was to be picking a scraped Daytona up off the road the day after getting it!)

Gotta save the racing for the track, stay within your limits on open roads.
  11. All good advice. Unforutnately the good advice often goes unheeded.
  12. bkdu: you forgot to add
    being able to judge a corner according to your skill
    not getting sucked in behind faster riders
    learning a road back to front before you try to push it
    all of which come in under a) :p

particularly that last one. While the corners in the park aren't all that extreme (a few parts will catch an unsuspecting visitor), the surfacing is so shoddy that a speed that seem suitable is a long way from so, and can place a rider/driver deep into SR territory. I find it quite amusing (I'm like that) to see a new set of skidmarks appear every few weeks, veer off the road and instantly straighten when they meet rock.

I dont think I'll be riding or driving the park of a weekend simply for the sake of it any more, too many heroes - only very early hours or weekdays or "midnight adventures"

Incidentally, few weeks ago I came across ses crew sorting out a bingle between two cars, on the same corner which I posted about putting up advisory signs and subsequently got roasted for making the suggestion. The skidmarks told the story, p-plater over judged ability and underjudged the corner, brakes on mid-way through, rears locked up and spun him onto the other side of the road and completely collected a car going the other way. Lots of damage to both vehicles. Wonder what the result would have been if it was a bike coming the other way.

Darkhorse: you had my measure by the end of the day. Next time we go out I dont think I'll even be trying to keep up.

*steps off soapbox*
  13. RNP was mayhem yesterday, I was at Bald Hill at about 10 and there was close to 150 bikes there. Oh and parked in the middle of the car park which meant that everyone had to go around was 5 ferraris who weren't able for some reason to park correctly in a spot (there were some available).
  14. The answer is very simple: treat it as a public road not as a race track! I know this works because I've been that way countless times and never had any dramas. Sure I've been overtaken by everything other than the cyclists but I'm OK with that because I know for a fact there are no prizes waiting at the other end.
  15. Of course, WE know what the answer is for US, but what about the leather-clad, weekend Rossis who DO use the RNP as their local race track?

Oh, and BTW, I'd avoid the RNP completely at night or dusk/dawn. The park is infested with feral deer who are there in plague proportions.
  16. Maybe it's the same as with the graffiti 'artists' - you can police and penalise until the cows come home, but in the end, if you want them to stop defacing random places the best way is to provide them with some controlled location where they can scribble to their heart's content.

If they want people to stop racing on public roads, maybe having a few more accessible, cheap and available race tracks would be the answer... I'd nominate one (or more) of golf courses infesting Sydney to be turned into a public race track.
  17. I'll vote for that, and, of course, you're right. There will always be the small, hardcore group for whom manhood is measured by the degree of risk involved in the activity indulged in, but for many of us, track days can be the answer.

However, and I don't want to derail the topic here, I have friends who do track days and even the most enthusiastic of them have been heard to say that, once you've ridden a track a few times, it does become a little the same, whereas conquering the intricacies of a public road with its ever-changing scenarios can be much more of a challenge.
  18. The biggest +1 in the world isn't big enough for that quote.

Had a nice scare late (early?) one night in the MR2, taking the RNP to get home from a friend's place in Sydney.

"Better stay below the speed limit, there'll probably be a koala or roo or echidna wanting to jump out at me...", I thought. Not long after, came around a blind corner to discover two deer standing right in the middle of my lane, not very far away at all.

Hooray for well-practiced emergency stopping in non-ABS cars. ;)

In hindsight, of course, I should have been going slowing down even more for the blind corners. I'll take that penalty-free lesson.
  19. Not sure where the logic is there, I dont find commuting during the week 'dulls' my senses one bit. Not riding during the week is far more likely to dull the senses imo.. Sydney traffic is an exercise in 100% control at all times to avoid becoming a hood ornament.
  20. To be honest, that's how I've always felt about tracks - in the end, it's just going round and round in circles... oh well, I don't know what the answer is. Perhaps we should bring back 5km/hr speed limit and the requirement that every vehicle on the road should be proceeded by a footman carrying a warning flag.