Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

The Rider in the Machine

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by RacingAce, Sep 4, 2014.

1. So being new to the motorcycle world, there is alot to consider. Thanks to all you guys, Im a gun at riding in the wind now lol and ok I dont have much street cred with a hyosung GT250 but come on, got to start somewhere (working towards Triumph street triple 660) but after the bike had tipped over and there I was pinned under it whilst a small gathering surrounded me in helping me get the bike back up, I knew right there and then I was piss weak lol:)

As a personal trainer, I have taken this on. I looked in the mirror and said to myself "you dont derserve that bike, lose some weight, muscle up and get fit and lift that bike by yourself." it must of been the old days of when I was a jockey racing horses. You never let the horse think he's the boss...no way man! My bike who I have named of course lol is "Coolatron" and I said to myself, I need to earn his respect so we trust each other out on the road (must be girl thing to name your bike) I did grow up with a crush on optimus prime from transformers ha ha...anyway...I turned to the gym

Guys, I have already lost 1.5 kgs this week and working on strength training. In the garage I layed the bike down and lifted him by myself...hard going but getting there..hope the triumph is lighter!!!

Anyway, getting serious about training and getting in peak performance has to make you a better rider. Putting my Personal training skills into riding is paying off.

Let me know if you would like some tips to get some fat off quick and get some muscle on quickly and no stuffing around in the gym wasting time.

Also, can anyone help with this?
    When I am cruising at 60km I put "coolatron" in 3rd gear...sometimes I can smell what seems like brakes burning or something but then Im not sure if its just the cars around me. I put him into 4th when I go to about 62-63km and he seems to like that....anyway, whats a basic rule of thumb with RPM's and your bike? I am only going from when i drive manual in a car:)

2. lol, yeah I've been going to the gym since xmas, lost about 10kgs and have maintained it for a few months now, when I had my off in the rain and was pinned under the bike it came in handy.

When cruising at 60 or above I just use 6th gear. I don't really have a rule of thumb, it just depends on the situation. It's the same as a manual car, you change gear when you feel the engine can deal with the next gear. But if you are gunning it, you hold the gear longer.

Not sure what the smell is, maybe it's just fluids burning off the exhaust that leaked out of the overflow from when you lay the bike down?
  3. There are correct ways to lift a dropped bike, some of the ways you might try make it even harder to lift it off the ground. It's good now you know how heavy your bike is.

As for the smell, is the bike new?
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Aye, I could do with some of that, please.

I have no idea about the smell business, but, if the bike feels better in 4th at an indicated 62 or 63 kph, the chances are that you are really doing 58 or 59 kph......

Most motorbike speedos read a bit over the real number.

Now this isn't a guarantee, but, if you can lay hands on a GPS, you will probably find out that I ain't making this up.

As for a "rule of thumb" about cruising, it varies so much depending on the bike.

You want to be able to twist the throttle, and get some reasonable acceleration in whatever gear you are in, equally, you want the bike to slow down reasonably noticeably when you roll off the throttle.

If you are in too high a gear, not much happens, either on or off throttle.

If you are in too low a gear, it becomes very jerky, both on and off throttle.

BTW, I must compliment you on your attitude about getting fit enough to pick up the bike, but, if you have a hunt around U-tube you'll find various clips of the technique required to pick up a horizontal motorbike.
  5. Yep great idea, I'm going to look up correct techniques for lifting and the bike has only done 3000kms. It might just be me as a new rider not uses to the smells. Thanks heaps for your reply:)))
  6. Thanks heaps I really appreciate the feedback!!! And great tip of course about correct pickup techniques, I'll research it!! Thanks again and will invest in a gps, have a great rest of day and thanks!!
  7. Even heavy bikes are easy to lift.

• Like Like x 1
  8. There is a right way and wrong way to pick up a bike.

Although after falling off I've usually found adrenaline takes care of the heavy lifting (my back killed my afterwards).
    • Like Like x 1
  9. No, don't invest in a GPS. You borrow one..... or your mobile phone has one built in.

If you are serious about having an accurate speedo, you go to a push bike shop and buy a trip computer for a pushbike....about $25 to $30 and then fiddle about to fit it to your bike.

If you can borrow a GPS, you just do a couple of straight line runs on a nice open freeway, and then remember how far out your speedo is.
  10. Cars rev lower than bikes. With bikes the general rule of thumb is the greater the number of cylinders the higher you rev. Or keep it between 1/3 to 1/2 of red line. But you need to find the sweet spot yourself.
  11. Aye, Mick, very true.

Years ago, I had a classic..... I had ridden home through a couple of extreme thunderstorms, stopped in front of the garage door, put down the side stand and leant the bike over.

But, I had miscalculated, and the side stand just touched and then crumbled off the corner of the concrete drive way.

By this time, the bike was too far over for me to hold, so I stepped out of the way and let it gently rest on its side.

Now, I was very cool calm and collected at this point, but, there was no way I could get the bastard thing up again.

Enter my wife, from the house.

Now she is a very smart lady (well, apart from putting up with me) but stands about 5 foot tall.

She realised right away, that physically, there was nothing she could do to help me, but she kept on and on with the heavy sarcasm until I eventually lost my temper and just picked the bloody bike up and put it in the garage.

Adrenaline, or should that be anger, can work wonders.

I did feel a bit of a sore back the next morning, tho.
  12. Thanks heaps!!!
  13. that was really cool, thanks heaps for that!!! much easier:)
  14. lol totally get it:)thanks for sharing..i can relate, not to the wife bit but the adrenaline bit to just get the dam thing up ha, cheers
  15. dude! got it:) thanks heaps again
  16. Sorry @RacingAce@RacingAce, but I don't understand how someone as lean as yourself could lose weight and put on muscle at the same time.
  17. I guess it's a personal thing: Thighs, gut and saddlebags:( the bike got me back into training and I guess that's what I owe the bike for:)
  18. Saddlebags? Hehehe... Maybe a very small bumbag if you're really really unlucky... I wouldn't be concerned about losing weight if I were in the condition you seem to be in. Weight training to build strength (not low reps at near-max weight - higher reps at about 70% to 80% of max IIRC, to build strength without the bulk, so you end up strong, but don't end up looking like a freak). If (and that really is "if") you need to lose weight, it's likely to happen with the strength training anyway. Also, keep in mind that 1.5kg lost in a week really isn't healthy, and a large proportion of that is probably water (even if you have been trying to stay hydrated).

The crux of what I'm trying to say is that you don't want to go developing some sort of negative body image disorder.
  19. I suspect a personal trainer already knows all that.
  20. sorry, was just sharing:)
    • Like Like x 1