Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

The ride after the slide

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by jim24x7, Oct 26, 2014.

1. After just finishing recovering from a serious slide, a decision has been looming, do I keep riding ?

I consider myself moderately experienced, riding almost every day for four years.

Perhaps it takes the courage to get back on and ride, after the slide, to really understand the commitment and risk we take everyday. Perhaps then I can actually consider myself a motorcyclist.

2. You slid. Get back on the thing and stop being a pussy
    • Agree Agree x 3
  3. You were a motorcyclist before the slide. Its up to you whether you still are. The slide may or may not end up making you a better rider. Were you able to take anything good/useful from it?
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. Yes, always wear gear, the leather on the forearm failed but only after a fair distance.

I wouldn't advise replacing the brake lever yourself, I had set it incorrectly which caused a full lock when attempting to bleed speed at about 85.

Most importantly, admit to yourself that you were at fault and be humble. Use this as a platform to build skills and experience.
  5. Good stuff. Care to share the jacket brand? I would not expect a decent leather jacket to fail at that speed.
  6. Agreed, sorry to hear you slid though...

Yes, you may have been at fault, but get back on. You'll be right! Live and learn :)
  7. Consider that if you gave up riding you'd have to change your sig
  8. 2 big crashes on the track (one knocked out, one broken bones), 2 minor low sides on the track minor but fast 100kph, 4 crashes on the road (hit a dog, dropped a wheelie & two low speed low sides)

8 crashes have not stopped me, riding is like a drug, addictive, if you can stop & never look back & never get a buzz when you see a bike fly by then stop riding & never look back but if you really love riding a little slide wont stop you
    • Like Like x 2
  9. without the gory details, I agree in every respect

After a broken rib episode on Macquarie Pass some years ago I was contemplating selling the bike and stopping; wiser heads here said I wouldn't, and also that I shouldn't.....

they were right!
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. If you have to think about it, that's your answer
  11. Details please? Sounds pretty scary :]
  12. @Unconnected@Unconnected? Is that you?

• Like Like x 1
  13. I know you've come here to get advice and that's fine, but whatever you do, make sure it's your decision. Don't shamed (by yourself or others) to get back on the saddle, don't go out there and risk your safety and that of others just to prove something that ultimately noone gives a shit about.

If you do get back on, don't expect it to come back straight away. Certainly you'll be a bit shaky to begin - we make a million little subconscious assumptions every time we ride, the fact that you took a slide means that at least one of yours was wrong. Now you'll be questioning all of them and riding won't feel as natural as it did before. But that will come back with time and confidence.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Can't be. Muscle memory would have taken over and he would have safely completed his trip sans front brake
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Totally agree with this.

Not sure who Unconnected is, suspect a reference to being a kook. I certainly did something extremely stupid (or wrong) when installing the brake lever.

Been really enjoying reading everyones comments.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Here's my second, more consideted take.

A. When you took up riding you knew it was riskier than driving. You could get hurt or die. You decided to do it anyway. You crashed. Nothing has changed.

B. Or, you thought you were invincible. It couldnt happen to you. In denial or stupid.

Now you have to figure out which type of rider you are.
  17. Everyone is different.

My advice is to go for a ride, by yourself, on quiet roads with no or little traffic. You'll know soon enough.

If you are replacing your bike, be patient and really test ride a bike before making a decision. My wife didn't do that after her accident, we now have a 2002 SV650s sitting in the garage gathering dust.
  18. It depends if you really want to keep on riding.

When I wrote off my last bike into the side of a car (Don't worry I wrote the car off as well. Didn't let them get away unscratched) I would have ridden my bike home but unfortunately the severe crack in the frame, busted forks, busted front wheel and headlight (night time) amongst many things prevented me from riding home the bike home. Was a bit of a scare for me but I love riding to much to give it up that easily.
  19. Hmmmm I'm now looking for a track bike. Nice little twin there