Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

The Rain Man

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Ljiljan, Mar 26, 2011.

1. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...r-IQ-Einstein-develops-theory-relativity.html

Autistic boy,12, with higher IQ than Einstein develops his own theory of relativity

A 12-year-old child prodigy has astounded university professors after grappling with some of the most advanced concepts in mathematics.

Jacob Barnett has an IQ of 170 - higher than Albert Einstein - and is now so far advanced in his Indiana university studies that professors are lining him up for a PHD research role.

The boy wonder, who taught himself calculus, algebra, geometry and trigonometry in a week, is now tutoring fellow college classmates after hours.

2. NO ONE has ever been as smart as Nikola Tesla
  3. He's going to actually be good looking too when he grows up.

What a champion! Like a cute and smarter Sheldon (from The Big Bang Theory), and hopefully, not as anally annoying!

Looking forward to following his theories.
  4. what makes you think that?
  5. Not saying Telsa wasn't a smart cookie, or that he didn't have a genius for physics, but...

...this is Kant. I like how they've tried to capture a vision of his genius in this picture:

Kant created a good definition of genius:
    "Genius is the talent (or natural gift) which gives the rule to Art."
    Two points derive from Kant's definition: (1) that genius is something you have, not something that you are, and (2) genius is, strictly speaking incomparable (its criterion is a founding act that allows a subsequent set of comparisons to be made, whether this is a new genre or a new field of inquiry).

How can you compare Tesla to Goethe, Freud, Rothko, Milton, Wittgenstein, Degas or Aeschylus in any meaningful way?

There is a bloke called Castoriadis who says interesting stuff on this: that any thinker is great insofar as he can think in a way that extends beyond the limits of the conceptual tools (socially or historically) available to him.
  6. That's a bit philosophical. I am the true genius here, My garbage bags don't get stuck in the bin.
  7. What's you secret so that we may emulate it?

That's me!

That kid's amazing, I wonder if he'll grow up to be normally adjusted member of society? I expect not...
  8. But that defies the laws of nature! We must burn thee as a witch!
  9. ha ha, like the topic title, though it's a different story
  10. As a university academic? Surely you jest...
  11. Some aspergers do integrate fine, though most end up with some social interaction issues. There was a study done a while ago, I can't find it, but it linked people working in IT with a higher rate of aspergers. That is, people with aspergers often end up in IT. We used to joke my old boss had aspergers.

He was a great boss, smart guy, but sometimes had no idea the effect of saying something rather blunt about someone's work might have. To him, shit work was shit, and he'd say it. Most others would try and be a bit diplomatic.
  12. Hey!
    Oh wait, never mind. :)
  13. Tesla gave us the modern era- he has been retrospectively accredited with the first wireless radio transmission booting out Marconi , he had for example remote control boats in ponds over 100 years ago
  14. Intellectual property stuff scares me, so I can't give you my secret. But hopefully one day you can buy one for $5 and you too will forever enjoy easy trash.

On that note, if anyone knows the process for taking something you have created, and turning it into product, and then getting rich, let me know. I'm the kind of lazy guy that would rather sell a million dollar idea for $50k, than try and make heads and tails of the process myself. I call it creatively lazy.
  15. Well I have patented my photochromic visors

perhaps you need to speak to me