Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

The R65 lives again!!!

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by MacManMike, Mar 21, 2008.

1. FINALLY turned the key on the BMW R65 which we are doing up for the Girlie to ride.

It's taken far longer than first expected to undo the age related problems:

New steering head bearings.
    Partial repaint of frame.
    Strip and rebuild carbies.
    Strip both cylinders and heads, re-machine valves on one, new rings both sides.
    Completely rebuild front brake. New linings both ends.
    New battery.
    Rebuild starter motor.
    Remove oxide coating and gunge from all engine casings.

The best bit was that it took less than 5 seconds cranking to fire after essentially being in storage for the last 15 years. The bike has been in the family since 1988 and was the bike I learned to ride on when I was about 12 or 13.

I'm chuffed to have it going, and just need to run it through a RWC and sort out rego and then the Girlie has her first road bike!
  2. Congrats

Sounds like some serious work

So where's some pics??
  3. picsorgay
  4. Looks great, love the wheels. Classy ride :cool:
  5. Well done macmanmike. I have just recently bought a 1984 R65 that hasn't been started in 10 years. It has been purchased with the idea of picking up a little bit of mechanical knowledge.

It sounds like the list of things you mention having done will mirror closely what I wil have to do. I tried cranking it over the other night after replacing fluids, plugs and filter. Unfortunately nothing. Then the right carbie started pissing fuel.

So I clearly have an electrical problem (no spark) and need to rebuild the carbies. Not sure what other delights await.
  6. I can tell you it's a BAD idea to try to start it after that length of time without checking that the intake tracts are clear. The whole reason I had to have one of the heads worked on was that condensation had settled in the left hand tract (downhill when on side stand). The stem of the intake valve on that side was covered in wet rust, and both valve seats were pitted.

These things have Nikasil bores (yours was new enough too) which is VERY hard, but essentially not repairable if it gets scratched. Before doing too much else, take the carbies out and have a look down the intake. Any sign of dirt, rust or anything other than a clean intake would be enough to encourage me to do the same again. They are easy to work on, and I will give Munich Motorcycles another plug for parts. They are in WA, but I've had parts delivered from there to here in VIC in less than 20 hours before. Bruce's knowledge is top notch, and they are brilliant to deal with.

If you have a fuel leak, you'll either have a leaking base gasket or sticky floats. Easy fix on both fronts.
  7. congrats mate, must have been a real buzz to hear her kick into life!
  8. It's definitely an organic motorcycle...