Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

The Point 6 or the 1 FZ's - For and against..

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by smidge, Mar 1, 2009.

1. So this week is bike upgrade week, my 250 has gone to another new rider and its time to actually go out there and ride some bigger beasts. I've ridden at least 3 days a week and put close to 20,000ks on the 250 and (although still mindful of crashing) am ready to go onto something bigger..

i've had my eye on Yamaha FZ6s as the riding position, size, price and look all suit what i'm after. These are well over 10 grand new and my budget is around 7.5k max. 2nd hand there aren't a whole heap to chose from which made me think to start looking at FZ1's instead, slightly older models say 2004 or earlier. There are more to choose from.

Question to you lot is, on my day to day commute to the city and back and the weekend national park blat, is the 1l likely to be a little oversized for what i do?
  2. Depends if you buy for ego or practicality.
    Would the 6 do everything you need?
  3. bite the bullet and get a new 1, then youll know the full history of your bike :)
  4. i find mine cumbersome at times specifically in heavy peak hour, it's rarely out of second and at 230kg is not the most stable at low speed filtering if you need to be threading the needle. The 6 IMO would be far better suited to such scenario's if that's likely to be a bulk of your ride/commute.

definately suggest having some money aside to do suspension work should you coose to get a 1, chalk and cheese and was astounded at the difference it made to mine.

good luck
  5. Do you do much 2-up riding? There's always exceptions to the rule, but all things being equal, this is probably the only area where, IMO, the larger capacity bikes cope better.

Most 600's will do things just as good as their big brother equivalents, & in some cases, do it better. They are smaller, lighter, and not a whole lot slower. They will probably be a little lighter on the hip pocket(re: Ins), especially if you buy new.

Best of luck with your eventual choice :wink: .
  6. great responses so far guys thanks! i have a few on my list to check out... will post up how i go
  7. I'd get the one. But please go the naked, not that poofy plastic monstrosity. ;)
  8. I Don't like "sports" bikes with big single headlights. The poofy plasticy stuff is great! Looks mean.

I appreciate the 1 feedback though!
  9. Buy whatever makes YOU happy. F#ck what every one else thinks. YOU are the one riding it. Test ride everything you can think of and then some. You're spending the money. I don't care what you buy. Neither should any one else.
  10. Yep i'll do that AND ask what people with years and years more experience than me think... thats why the forum is here, right?
  11. So it takes people with years and years of experience, to tell you, if you will be comfortable with a particular bike :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: A test ride will not confirm this for yourself? :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

PS I'm laughing at you, not with you.
  12. Have a nice life.
  13. Wow. Harsh reaction to another 'what bike?' thread that i thought was okay around here..

anyway, you're all entitled to your opinions as am i, back to the subject...

this is what i'm thinking of at present...

14. get the naked, YOU WILL REGRET buying the faired version :wink:
  15. +1
  16. any particular reason? aesthetics aside?
  17. Cause it's a pain in the arse to take it off later.
  18. and we have a winner :LOL: :wink:

yep, they look shit, expensive when you crash and unless your at the track are generally a pain in the ass :grin:
  19. can't really argue with that, at least i'll have the option though, right? :)