Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

The Perfect Ride - Country Riding

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by Mouth, Feb 14, 2016.

1. From the Great Ocean Road we now head in-land. As the guys and I point out in this video, it is surprising how the road conditions can change so much in such a small distance.
    1. The Perfect Ride - Before the Ride
    2. The Perfect Ride - Coast Riding
    3. The Perfect Ride - Country Riding
    4. The Perfect Ride - Heading Home

While many of the issues here are similar to riding on coastal roads, country riding presents additional factors for riders.

Road Surfaces
    Changing road surfaces can create more challenges for motorcycle riders than other road users.

Factors that alter the road surface and present risks to riders include painted lines, wet roads, mud and gravel from driveways and entrances, loose gravel edges, potholes, and leaves and debris from overhanging trees.

I find that the best way to manage these risks is by selecting the appropriate lane position and speed for the road condition. Also by planning and discussing the ride in advance, Jarrah, Beau and I already have a good idea where we may encounter these issues and we are prepared for them.

Early detection of risks
    Identifying potential hazards and risks is critical to my safety on the road.

To do this I like to apply the OBSERVE-ANTICIPATE-RESPOND sequence.
    • Observing is the ability to continuously observe the road and what's going on around me.
    • Anticipating is being able to anticipate or predict what might happen that could be a risk to me.
    • Responding is being able to take appropriate action early before things become too risky.
    If I am successful in applying this sequence then I should be in control and am less likely to be caught in situations which require me to brake suddenly or swerve sharply to avoid a crash.

If you want to brush up on your hazard perception and decision making skills, you might want to check out the online product called, Ride Smart . It is especially useful for new riders, but can also be valuable for more experienced riders.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Some good stuff in that, but they missed some of the regular hazards I encounter on country roads.

Livestock and wildlife.
    - Live stock presents a obvious hazards. Firstly they can be somewhat unpredictable, even when they are 'being driven' from paddock to paddock, but if you ride accordingly then you've got a better than even chance. Secondly the shit they leave behind is slippery.
    - Wildlife - not necessarily as unpredictable as people may think. For example birds always take off in to the wind, so pay attention to which way the wind is blowing and be prepared. If you are continually scanning the road and surrounds you can often pick up movement on the side of the road and even in the bush. This is obviously not entirely possible at night, hence why I tend to not ride in areas where kangaroos etc are likely to be at night. Also, if it's been dry for a long period wildlife is likely to be closer to the edge of the road where any water may have accumulated in drains and pot holes, same thing if it's rained recently.

Farmers - Farmers moving equipment or just themselves.
    • Like Like x 2