Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

The Perfect Ride - Coast Riding

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by Mouth, Feb 14, 2016.

1. The first part of today's ride is planned for along Victoria's iconic Great Ocean Road. This video highlights some of the issues we face here and that can be common to other coastal areas too.
    1. The Perfect Ride - Before the Ride
    2. The Perfect Ride - Coast Riding
    3. The Perfect Ride - Country Riding
    4. The Perfect Ride - Heading Home

Other road users
    Coastal roads can attract tourists and holiday makers as both drivers and pedestrians. With this in mind I assume that many of them may be unfamiliar with their surroundings, and that their behaviour may be unpredictable and possibly create a potential hazard for me.

So, I constantly try to anticipate the possible actions of drivers and keep control of my own safety. Some of the ways I do this are:
    • being prepared to take evasive action
    • covering the brakes with my fingers in those places where there is a lot going on around me in case a quick-stop is needed
    • maintaining awareness by doing frequent head checks and rear checks
    • being seen, by using my headlights and choosing a good lane position
    • changing my road and lane position as needed to maintain survival space around me. I talk about this more in the following section.
    Road position
    Choosing the right position on the road and preserving my survival space is something I think about continuously throughout every ride.

Keeping a safe distance from other road users, parked cars and fixed objects on the side of the road helps to give me more time to see a potential problem and to respond if something unexpected happens.

Changing my position on the road or braking slightly to slow down, are some of the ways I maintain my survival space.

When following behind other vehicles, including other riders in my group, I try to leave a gap of at least three seconds, more if the conditions call for it.

You will see in the video that the guys and I ride in a staggered formation. This helps us to maintain our survival space. Even though, I may be following another rider, I still ride for myself and within my own limits and am prepared to break from the staggered formation when I need to. For example, I still need to pick my own line, speed and gear when cornering.

As my speed increases, my ability to react to emergencies is reduced and stopping distances increase.

So, I always aim to ride within the legal speed limits, be guided by advisory speed signs, and adjust my speed so that it is appropriate for the conditions. Sometimes this means I travel below the speed limit, such as riding during adverse weather and road conditions.

There's more on demonstrating how taking control of speed can affect rider safety, and how controlling speed is important to help deal with unexpected or other road users' mistakes.

Coastal roads are known for their corners and curves which add to the enjoyment of a ride and attracts riders to them. But, they can present their own of set of issues for riders.

Often when riding you can't see all the way around a curve. In these situations I often don't know what I'll be faced with on the other side of the curve, or whether the road surface will change within the curve.

What I like to remind myself when cornering is:
    • Start wide, finish tight, and stay out of the head-on zone
    • Enter at an appropriate speed and with the correct gear selected
    • Travel at a speed to be able to stop within the distance that I can see through the bend.
    • Informative Informative x 2