Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

The Pain Of No Bike

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by CruiseOrLoose, Dec 7, 2009.

1. I am 16 and i do not have 6k to cough up for a bike and i can not get a loan cause im under 18 and i cant get someone to guarantor due to the bank not allowing it. I see a bike I want and it fu*ken burns !!

Im saving though and im sought of nearly there but i wont be getting one until mid next year probs and i really feel like there is no other form of transport or any form of fun that is close to a bike.

this is gay! i should of saved not bought little stupid sh*t !

does any body have any suggestions or been in this situation ??

2. Advice? Sure, don't drop $6k on a bike you're most likely going to damage and grow out of in 18 months.

3. Do you have a license to ride on the street yet? No point throwing money at a bike until you can ride it.

Just saying that because in QLD we can't even apply for a learner license without being 18 and having a car license minimum 12 months.

Also $6k is a fair amount for a first bike too, I certainly didn't have that kinda money and used Ruddy's stimulus package to fund my $1200 bike and slowly aquired more and more safety gear via ebay. All I have left is armoured pants (the kevlar worked.. but no impact protection) and maybe a back protector thingo..

You could always strap a leaf blower motor to a pushy as a temporary solution whilst you wait :p

-
    Chris

4. Yep but you won't like it: go find yourself some work. That's how I got my wheels at your age. I don't mean this with any lack of sympathy either, I'm serious. Casual work doesn't pay all that well when you're 16 but if you're a willing worker you'll pick up heaps of extra hours.

Don't worry you don't have to be 16 to be frustrated at not being able to afford something you really want. The best thing is at 16 you have a LOT of years left in you to enjoy the things you want, when you get around to having them.

You probably don't want to hear the ramblings of an old fart so I will stop now. :-({|=

5. +1 I bought a new 49cc 2stroke Cag pocket bike engine with airfilter,carbies,pullstart and spark plug for $67. add $10 for a chain and $15 for a sprocket and there you go 2-stroke mountainbike. I woulve loved that at your age. You kids are growing up to fast

6. mmmm ,

to the first guy: bike costs 4500 i need 1500 for gear and a first time service because i am buying an old bike :-s

to the second guy: i have my learners

7. currently working - full time ( finished school )

8. Excellent =D> You'll get there then, good onya.

9. Just keep looking around privately for anything and everything that takes your fancy.

If you have the money, go for a looksy, if not keep looking
    When the money starts to build up you can go back to some of the ones you've found previously to see if they're still available

I probably woulda spent 6 weeks straight scouring every website and newspaper I could find.. though I had a budget a quarter of what you mentioned, so it shouldn't be too hard.

Just think of how glad you'll be when the waiting is over

-
    Chris

10. What bike is it?

11. $20 says its a cbr250rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

12. Well then he needs to save up an extra $250 for a new rear tyre after all the burnouts.

13. The pain is MUCH worse when you've ridden a bike before! More so when you did it everyday!

14. Only the kids of the sickeningly wealthy have never been in this position. Unless their dad was a real tightarse.
    All the rest of us have been there and done that, and the simple fact is that a bit of work, and enough self discipline to keep on saving, will see you with the bike you want before too long.:biker:

15. Oh how right you are!!!

16. Hell yeah... wait til you're 26 and you're stoopid bike is off the stoopid road cos of it's stoopid bearings... stoopid bike. :cry:

17. kids these days eh, rush rush rush rush rush, u have a whole life ahead of you, take ya time with things

all good things come to those who wait.

my advice, be good to ya mother :)

18. Try having a bike at home but you can't ride it for 2 weeks. Nearly went nuts from not being able to ride it :tantrum:

Could always get a postie or grab this gem and there ya go. Bike+gear for 3.1k!

There's also a nice chap selling his ol' twofiddy for 3.2k so including gear would be about 4.7k.

Go for whatever gets you on the road, or work hard and earn that bike you want. Try to grab gear as pressies for x-mas, bdays, haunakah, qwanza, thanks giving or even australia day

19. I don't believe he's actually 16 - I was able to read and understand his entire post. There was even fullstops.

20. Funded my first dream bike with a full time job, 2 weekend jobs and worked in a bar at night.
    Traded my social life for an 860 Ducati!

My advice: You need to find 3 more jobs :)