Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

N/A | National The only way Insurers can check your past claims!

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by matthewjw, Apr 28, 2011.

1. The only way Insurers can check your past claims! Save yourself some $$$$

I have just found out that the insurance industry have a very limited way to check/verify your past insurance claims history.

The only database in Australia that collects your individual claim data is called MyInsurancePassport.com.au

It is owned and run by the Australian insurance industry, and it is the only way that insurers share your claim data - holding past claim detail for 10 years.

If your past claims are not on your file, (and assuming that you are insured with different insurers - ie not different brands within the large Suncorp group) then the only way your insurer or new insurer can check your claims history is to individually phone other insurers and do a manual check. (And this does not happen)

I saved myself over $350 by declaring only what is on my claims history file.8-[

2. Maybe this is something that perhaps should only be shared by word of mouth rather than declared on a public forum... You know, just incase some insurers catch wind and decide to tighten up this process?

3. I'm all for riders getting the cheapest insurance premium available - if the insurers haven't got their systems in place to check your claims history, then why tell them about every little incident.........I don't tell my bank about every late bill when I apply for a credit card or a loan - they have systems in place to check.

4. Theres a Question on your insurance application about any previous claims you have made.
    Fill out the form incorrectly and the insurance co can continue to take your money but refuse to pay out on any claim.

5. I don't understand? There's more or less on your claims history file?

6. If you think insurance companies don't check these forums you are mistaken. If the knowledge you have is correct, they certainly won't want it becoming public. Despite that, thanks for sharing. Is there any way that you can verify your information?

7. I asked my insurance company how they verify past claims and they advised me of this database - www.myinsurancepassport.com.au - everyone has the ability to check what is on their own file.

I understand the duty of disclosure - however if the insurers have not registered a previous incident as either being a) my fault or b) a paid claim on my policy, then I will declare the number of claims which are on my insurance file.

I have a copy of my claim history as accessed via the website and I think it would stand up if there was ever any dispute (highly unlikely)

So I declare what is on my file - saving me several hundred dollars. You may suggest that there is some risk, but I will guarantee you that no insurer will go beyond what is on your claims history file - are they going to ring around all insurers to find out if you have a policy and weather you have had a claim? - (although they could based on your consents) - but insurers don't like helping out their competition and spending time manually looking up past records just isn't going to happen.

Ask your own insurer and I think you will get the same response.

8. http://www.myinsurancepassport.com.au/

Is an open to the public, freely accessible website.
    Lilley, what don't the insurance companies want you to know?

Edit: I still don't get what the OP is on about. I would guess that insurance companies can access the Insurance Reference Services database easily - I guess the OP is saying, don't tell them MORE than what's on your database? That's fair enough.

9. Ok, I understand now! Thanks for the hot tip.

10. not convinced!

this could turn ugly if your history comes up in the event of a claim, best just to stick to the rules and declare what is required

11. This thread is hogwash.

X2 what halifax said.

Please don't be so naive as to think insurers won't bother asking other companies. Insurers are one of the biggest users of private investigators, most of which happens at claim time. They don't have to ask or care about this extra info when issuing the policy. When it comes time to claim, if they suspect, they can and will investigate you and you will get bitten very hard (faudulent non-disclosure)

It is in your best interests to declare everything and be on the safe side.

12. I'm not suggesting lying. However I thought I was "at fault" in two of my previous claims - however I was not held at fault for these claims on my history file.

Also, my lay down was just over three years ago - by changing to an insurer which only asked for 3 years history, this claim was not disclosable and I got a much better deal.

Better to know what the industry has recorded against you - at least you can verify the minimum disclosure that must be made.

Insurers love you to think that they check everything - the point being is that their first port of call re disclosure is this database. If you think that insurers are ringing around to their competitors and verifying past claim details in a manual process,then you must think insurers spend way more on resources than they actually do.

As an aside, if the insurance market collects this data, why do they even ask the question of policyholders? As you say, they don't care when you take out the policy, and only ever try and trip you up if you have a claim - seems like a win / win for the insurers.

13. Let's not get nasty here folks.
    I gave the service a crack and it came up with nothing about me.

That being said, usually if you list a Rating 1 NCB then you have to supply a certificate of currency or something to that affect. Then the trail can go back and back.
    Will an insurer go to great lengths to protect their business liability? Yes
    How far will they go to do that? Probably as far as the person can be bothered that depending on whether they broke up with their girlfriend/boyfriend the night before and if they couldn't go for coffee etc.

I see such a service as an exercise in testing big brother (although a relatively limited scope) but not as a means to cheat the system.

At the end of the day, the business is Kittens, not insurance fraud.

14. Agreed.... Not to mention I would treat any information handled by a call centre rep over the phone as semi reliable.

Insurance companies definitely do a hell of a lot more research than that.

Especially when you go to make a claim and they do some digging around

Insurers can check a lot however the reality is they don't waste their time doing so until they need to. It is a reasonably involved process as well. When you go to make a claim and something seems amiss on the account, then they likely will go and start making calls.

That's simple. They don't have to go around finding out the information and if they find that you lied later on, then they have reason to reduce the payout or not payout at all. They are offering a service but reducing their liability in doing so. They need to run at a profit. They state the conditions of the service, and you agree to give an honest history. Based on that history, they give you coverage at a set price. If your history wasn't what you said, then they mightn't have given you coverage in the first place any way. As such if they find this out later when going and looking for it, then your policy might be voided.

Of course, if people don't like the conditions they set on their service, then those people don't have to use them.

15. Does the same apply about disclosing traffic offences?

16. Well according to the forum, if you went and got a written confirmed check with the RTA and it showed one traffic offense and 3 demerits, you would be required to tell your insurer about every traffic offense that you have committed whether or not you were booked.](*,)

... because insurers would ring around and find out that you once went through an amber light

17. If you fail to give full disclosure information to an insurance company and then place a claim, like a written off bike, the assessor comes out gets your statement. Its then passed to an investigator whop will then check to see if you have made any claims before etc etc. If he finds you have claimed before and not told your new insurance company they will deny the claim as not providing full disclosure.
    Loosing $18k on a new bike after you dropped it and thought you were covered by insurance because you 'found a loophole' to then find out your not, and at your own fault, might hurt a bit.

18. That doesn't make sense. This is about claims that are on record with an insurance company but don't appear on a central database for whatever reason.

How hard do you really think it is for someone to ring a few companies to get this information. I wouldn't be surprised if claims investigators from different companies are in regular contact with each other.

Maybe they won't check. Maybe they will. You won't know until you make a claim.

19. Ok lets clear a few things up.

(i) An insurance contract requires TOTAL disclosure by the insured. This is in fact legislated (the Insurance Contracts Act) and at Common Law.

(ii) An insurance Co (as you correctly state) won't verify your statements when you sign the policy.
    However, they WILL check ALL your history if you make a claim, including traffic offences and if you have lied / not disclosed they WILL attempt to deny a claim.
    And believe me, thier investigators are good!
    They also use a lot more sources than a database.
    The database you refer to is the one the phone clerk uses as a "basic check" only.
    He/she (as a rule) would have no idea of the claim procedures.

(iii) A good deal of the advice given here is correct and / or sensible. Use it, people are just trying to help.

20. Agree, use the database at your own peril.

Then again if a lot of people use this database only then the insurers will have a lot of premiums with not a lot of payouts, which will mean cheaper premiums for the rest of us.