Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

The one thing worse than stop-start traffic.

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by tunaranch, Feb 3, 2006.

1. Any advice on dealing with stop-start traffic on a steep hill? I think my BP was redlining along with the engine, as I desperately tried to keep the bike from rolling back.

I didn't have enough confidence to rely on my rear brake alone... but luckily managed to to about 5 stop starts with only one stall.
  2. Learn to rely on your rear brake when speeds are low and you have to hold yourself on hills. Only way to go. Not hard.
  3. ^What he said^^^
  4. either that or get really tricky and have a couple of fingers over the front brake and a couple around the throttle.....

Really it just comes down to practice.
  5. i use my front break and just before the lights turn i balance the bike with the clutch and accelaration
  6. i find hills on my bike alot easier than in my manual car.

in a manual car you use the handbrake, on a bike use the rear brake.

also high revs and friction point to pull you out of the rear brake when its time to go
  7. The front brake of a bike is designed to stop the thing from 100km/h plus, not walking pace in slow traffic. Learn how to use the rear brake for low speed control - they should have taught this on your L's course
  8. The front brake should work in any case. The hill wouldnt be THAT steep. But whats wrong with the rear break???????
  9. Rear brake, first gear, bring the clutch to friction point and slowly release the brake and accelerate.

If your rear brake won't hold you on a hill, there's something wrong with it, not your technique; get it fixed immediately. The manufacturers don't keep putting a rear brake on bikes just for decoration!!!
  10. I agree, rear brake all the way. Although I do know where you're coming from, the rear brake on my Virago was absolutely useless compared to the rear brake on the SV. Still, it does work, you just need to push harder (and get a cramp in your right foot :p )
  11. Not being a cruisery style rider, is there some reason why it's more difficult to be in the "ready position" on a virago?

Ready position: bike stationary, clutch in, bike in first gear, left foot on ground, right foot on rear brake...

Hill starts are pretty straight forward from this position... give it a rev kev, release clutch and brake... away you go. :?:
  12. Tell me about it. Also being a 'cruiser' you would expect to the rear brake to work to quite a satisfactory level considering they use much more rear brake and much less front then a traditional sports style bike does.
  13. If the brake really isn't holding you then get it seen to...something is wrong

If it's just your confidence find a quiet hill somewhere and give it a try.
  14. huh, with the aquila i have to keep telling myself to use my front brake more, the rear brake is that good i sorta forget to use the front. Though i do have this irritating squeak in the front which the mechanic tells me is not from using my front brakes enough and road crap has just gotten in there ?? bleh cant wait for clean . As for the hills ummm cant i go around them?, i've not had good experience when it comes to getting my bike up steep things lol
  15. Hmm, okay, I'll practice my rear brake a bit more. My main concern was taking off too fast and rear ending the guy in front. That, and stalling. Mild hills aren't too bad, but this one's a mother.
  16. I tried it a few times with front brake, no go can't accelarate and brake with the one hand.
    So i tried the rear brake, whilst i still need practice it seems the way to go.
  17. It's something you'll get used to, kinda like a handbrake start in a manual car.

Silly question...what happens if you do rollback a few inches as you take off because I can't say I've done it (not without stopping and trying again)? It's not like you're suddenly going to end up on the ground with a bike on top of you is it?
  18. rear brake!
  19. robsalvv: Coming from a Virago onto an SV, I found actuating and holding the brake pedal on the Virago harder, because your feet are in front of you, so you actually have to use your foot muscles to push the pedal down. Pushing isn't a problem, holding it for any extended period is. On the SV I just lean on the pedal and the bike stays put...

LineNoise: Rolling backwards shouldn't put you off the bike, just make sure the guy behind you isn't too close!

tunaranch: Sounds like you need more practice balancing throttle/clutch. Rear brake should hold your bike on most all hills, just a bit harder to apply much pressure on the pedal due to riding position and the fact that the drum brake on the Virago is pretty crappy. Adequate, but by no means great.

Hill starts on the SV is a hell of a lot easier than on the Virago. Probably due to more power, better rear brake...
  20. I can't remember the last time I used the rear brake. Front brake all the way for me. Its not hard to learn how to use the front brake and throttle at the same time.