Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

The OIL thread

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by c0rrupt, Oct 7, 2009.

1. Now, before anyone goes and gets there knickers in a twist about 'doing a search' or 'look harder' or 'there are many of these threads around' ... I have... and this is what I get each time:

The following errors occurred with your search:

1. Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms.

The following words are either very common, too long, or too short and were not included in your search : oil

So, with that i'm starting a new one.

What Oil does everyone use and why and how much do they pay for it, as I was in the city today and the prices ranged from PS to Autobarn. Personally I use any decent 10 or 15w/40 semi syth as the clutch gets slippy with fully synth.

And if you know of a decent oil at a good price let me know, I need to get some this week.

Thanks everyone.

p.s I ran the search with a lot of different variables including 'best oil' 'what oil' etc etc... i've been having this issue with the search alot.
  2. Delo 400 for me and a few people I know. Cheap and bloody great on the clutch. Quietens the engine too.

3. Search harder....
    Click Here
  4. Thanks Stewy - that's what I was after!

Joel - thanks for that, but as I said, when I try to search it wont return any results... Not sure why

Envy - cheers, how much do you pay for this stuff?
  5. Cost me 90 bux for 20 ltr drum. I bought a drum pump the first time 20 bux. I change oil every 3000 kays and this stuff still has a golden hue to it.
    I had the turbo on my XR6 rebuilt and the only oil it has seen since is this stuff, and it hasn't missed a beat.
  6. Cool. Is this available in smaller quantities? I wont be needing a drum just 3/4 ltrs - Where can I get it?

Oh yeah, i'm a few pages into the other oil thread and the OP is making some good points about Diesel Oil rather then normal bike oil...
  7. Well this is "THAT" oil. Caltex servos are the only place I know of. There they have it in 1 and 4-5ltre bottles. 40 bux max.
  8. OK, going to take your word on that and go get some today
  9. http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=253447
    This is just one of the many I +ive reviews I have seen from MC riders.

Heavy-Duty Oils

My favorite oils and the ones I most mostly recommend for motorcycle use, are the "heavy-duty" oils. They are commonly misunderstood, and often referred to as "diesel oils." They are NOT energy conserving, have higher zinc levels, as high as 0.16%, and by virtue of their multi-duty have a better engine protection package than an oil that is only rated "SL". These heavy-duty oils are rated SJ or SL, plus CH-4. They are currently closer in formulation to the motorcycle specific oils and to the "SG" oils that many motorcycle makers recommend. Following are some examples of these oils, generally 15w40 oils by industry convention. There may be several other 15w40 oils that I am not familiar with.

1. Castrol RX Super 15w40
    2. Chevron Delo 400 15w40
    3. Mobil Delvac 1300 Super 15w40
    4. Pennzoil Long-Life 15w40
    5. Quaker State 4X4 Synthetic Blend 15w40
    6. Shell Rotella-T 15w40 (my personal favorite)
    7. SuperTech 2000 (WalMart) 15w40
    8. Valvoline All Fleet 15w40
    9. Castrol Syntec Blend Truck and 4X4 15w40
  10. i use Delo on the VTR250, after reading alot of THAT thread. bugger $90 for 4L of motul or something, i prefer $40 for 5L of Delo. change every 6000km, she runs great, and has quietened down a bit.
  11. good luck with warranty claims if your running incorrect grade oil to what is manufacturer specified.

**yes i read the other posted link on diesel oil
  12. LOL @ warranty claims. When did they stop making the RVF400 or the CB250 Hornet? I think I might still have a couple of kays left on my warranty. hehe

And like most, when I buy new, I use the dealer for that very reason, but once the warranty period is up I use good oil. After playing with modded cars for a few years I know that the majority of dealers use the cheapest stuff they can get and anything I buy is a marked step in quality.
  13. I've been using Castrol RX Super in my little high revving zxr250 kwak for 8,000km now, 3 oil changes. The bike runs perfect. Oil stays quite clean now too.

For my R1 I requested the first service be a semi-syn oil. They were going to put another mineral one in, but I don't think that was neccessary. They used a Yamalube oil. Mechanic said it's as good as any, and it seems fine to me. Still haven't decided what oil to put in it for my 5000km service though, might just stick with the Yamalube. There's so many different opinions on oil in general, it's hard to know whats the best to use. Although it seems that generally, any good quality semi-synthetic oil is best (in both the car and bike industry).
  14. I have just changed out the Motul 7100 that the dealer uses in my 08 V star 1300, YUK!! The stuff was black, burnt an dirty and down by half litre or so. This was only a 10k service.
    I was trying to find some Mobil 1 full synthetic (see other post) but can't find any so went with Yamalube full synthetic 10w/40.
    The engine sounds quieter and smoother, although could just be new and better quality oil.

15. +1
    On its 2nd oil change with the stuff. Runs like a kitten