Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

the noobiest of noob questions

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by Lobsta, Jul 26, 2008.

1. ok,

lets assume for a second here that I am a pharmacy student, and have absolutely NO idea, AT ALL, how a motorcycle engine works. AT ALL. Fuel in , noise out as far as i am concerned at this point... How do i bore out my existing engine to make my displacement bigger and change my gear ratios to make my bike accelerate faster? :LOL: :LOL: kidding there, *puts on flame suit*

my real question is, what is a good resource (online preferably, but i might be willing to part with a few shillings if it is really good), that goes through, in easy to understand words, how a bike works? the end to this means is that eventually i want to perform basic wrench work on my bike that i will eventually own. I dont know what bike i will own, what stroke it will be or whatever, so a guide that starts off generic and gets more specific would be tops. I dont mind if it is intricate, i am fine with a bit of extended study into it, i just wana know how, what, where and why about how a generic bike runs.

Thanks fellas

2. Great Resource!
  3. How on earth did you work that out? ;-) You're spot on!

Read up and then put the simple things into practice, like oil changes and chain lube and adjustment, unless you have a shaft drive bike, of course.

Ask questions in here before you start, to help keep the used oil off your carpet, and so on.

Trevor G
  4. Get get this book: http://www.101sportbikeprojects.com/

It starts with basic maintenance and goes up from there. :)

+1 on the dans mc too... oh and I think JD had a thread of good online resources somewhere around here...
  5. lol i just lol'ed at the word pharmacy

1st year at UQ?
    U'r gonna be braindead in Year 2 :p
  6. Pity you ain't in Melb, that's exactly what we're trying to do with spanner nights. Maybe some of the Brisneyland crew can get something going?
  7. wasn't dirtyTRX (andrew) doing a couple up there :?
  8. Ah yes. Drop him a PM, great bloke, he'll help you out.
  9. Heaps of resources already to get a general idea.

From there you also need a workshop manual for your particular bike, and hopefully find a very specific online community for your bike also to get a heads up on any particular weaknesses/tricks/fixes that aren't general knowledge.

If you can follow a recipe without setting the kitchen on fire, you can do just about anything on your bike with a bit of research and common sense.
  10. second year, QUT... WERE SPESHUL!!