Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

The next big thing

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' at netrider.net.au started by hornet, Aug 11, 2005.

1. At the risk of exposing myself again to the pontifications of a certain person who seems allergic to proper forum discussion, can I suggest that you get the July edition of Performance Bikes and check out the article on page 24. It's called "What's the next big thing?", and the suggestion is Two-Wheel Drive. Don't laugh, Yamaha have already built a two-wheel drive trail bike, and riding impressions by one of the journos is included in the article.
    If all-wheel drive for cars is going to be standard soon, can all-wheel drive for bikes be far behind? If it doesn't harm performance and increases safety, I'm all for it.

2. If they can get around the engineering difficulties and make it cost efective then it is possible.

One thought though, I was thinking about this on a wet ride in to work the other day: what will prevent front wheel lock up or skidding on wet, slippery surfaces or on tram tracks or exposed steel road joiners etc when you change down a gear?

3. according to the article only 10 hp of the drive on the Yamaha goes to the front wheel, and when the back wheel spins, it apportions more drive to the front wheel.........

4. I reckon that the next big thing should be electronically adjustable riding positions. Flick a switch and the rearsets, handlebars can switch from comfortable touring to aggressive sports. This way one bike can be more versatile. The problem is, there is no incentive for the manufacturers to come up with this technology, they would rather you bought two different bikes.

5. so it will work more like traction control, then a even power displacement :? and how is the front wheel driven, by another chain belts, or some form shaft?

6. It's a good idea but didn't prove all that effective when they trialled it in the Paris-Dakar rally - too many problems and were often beaten on stages by similar bikes running conventional drive.

7. I'm with dan, only I don't really see the need for it to be electrically controlled, though I guess that would be cool. Being able to substantially alter the riding position depending on your need at the time would be a great move.

(and yes, I know that some of the dearer European bikes do offer a limited form of this kind of adjustment already)

8. sorry I can't be more helpful, the pic of the actual bike is about 2cms by 4 cms and front on to the bike, so it doesn't show much!

9. And there in lies a potential problem - if you are on a wet road and the rear spins up you may not want the front pulling you, you'd prefer the rear to stop spinning and the front to remain stable. If the front starts to pull it may break traction too and then, whoops, over you go.

On a dirt bike the idea makes more sense but I'm not sure all wheel drive on a road bike is a safe idea. I'm happy to be proven wrong of course.

10. The Yammy system uses hydralics.

11. Of course, an electronic device that senses front and rear wheel grip and instantly compensates accordingly already exists and is fitted, with varying degrees of success, to every bike.

It's called the Human Brain Beta 1.0 and, provided its operation is not interfered with by the intorduction of foreign substances and or opposing electrical impulses, it operates flawlessly and for the life of the vehicle.

12. Kawasaki's already had a crack at this with the ZZR-X concept:
    http://www.gizmag.com.au/go/2251/

13. Yamaha have been testing 2wd on an R1, I think.

dan posted:
    I think the incentive for the manufacturers to build bikes with adjustable riding positions will come more from the realisation that they're losing sales because some people just don't fit on bikes they'd otherwise buy.

If you can adjust the riding position from sports bike to tourer, that's another sales feature they can tout. And how many people buy both a new sports bike and a new tourer at present anyway?

14. wouldn't it be the same as 4wd's where you came enable the 4 wheels and then swith it off when it's not required? Surely the 2wd bikes would have something similair

15. Mmmm, shiny, shiny
    And it has centre-hub steering too

16. You're right, according to this article:
    http://www.gizmag.com.au/go/2351/
    the 2wd system gave a 5 second advantage on a wet lap of the Karlskoga circuit.
    Edit: apparantly they are also looking at fitting 2wd to the T-Max scooter

17. I wonder if the MotoGP rules say anything about 2wd?

Could be very handy if they get another Shanghai.